Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2013, 11:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Don't be a S#*tty sailor/owner... Maintain your hull...

Happy, did you ever ask yourself "why in the world is this chap selling for such a low price"? What did you expect? When things (boats, cars or whatever) are sold for desperation prices there is always a good reason and it is not always stupidity!

Cheers,

Jim

Old 15-08-2013, 11:15   #17

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Greetings Happy,

Serious question: If you had known about this problem in its entirety, would you have still bought the boat for the price you paid?

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 12:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn L II View Post
Great deal man on the Boat!! Congrats... Looking for the same on a Steel Hull...
I'll keep my eyes peeled Evelyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
When we moored on Lake Union Seattle we use to go back and forth between the salt and the fresh water most years to clean/kill the growth. We could go 5 years between haul outs and bottom paint. Hundred of boats do this each year.

Each time we also have the hulls surveyed for insurance purposes.
That is a pretty cool system... I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Happy, did you ever ask yourself "why in the world is this chap selling for such a low price"? What did you expect? When things (boats, cars or whatever) are sold for desperation prices there is always a good reason and it is not always stupidity!

Cheers,

Jim
Jimbo, Wife was super anti sailboat, wanted hubby to get a MV so they could do their bar hopping lounging thing... These were super nice people who were just looking to get rid of an obstacle to moving towards what they wanted... We will definitely remain friends, and there are no hard feelings whatsoever... Andrew gleaned the real reason for the post... More FYI and "don't do this" more than a rant or disappointment...

PS: I've never had to do hull/blister repair like this on ANY of my boats ever... and the time invested with such a small hull, becoming an expert in yet another skill is well worth it to me! (see answer to Steve's question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Greetings Happy,

Serious question: If you had known about this problem in its entirety, would you have still bought the boat for the price you paid?

Steve
Beyond a shadow of a doubt! Sure I could have paid $5-8-10K for a daysailor with no issues... BUT... I saved another future derelict boat to pass on to a new sailor after I'm done with her!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 13:03   #19

Boat: Balboa 27

It's a shitty old boat, not a work of art. if I'd been the original owner just wanting something to putter around in I would have treated it the same way. Boats are a tool. They don't have a soul and don't "deserve" to be maintained beyond their value. Don't be the sucker who throws $1000's of dollars in repairs into a boat that will never be worth more than $1000.
Old 15-08-2013, 13:29   #20

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I agree with the statement about maintaining your boat. Take a look at any of my current or previous boats and you will see I am not in the $hitty sailor category. I have stripped and barrier coated 3 boat hulls in the last 15 years. It is just that the original post sounded like he was pissed about it. Calling someone a $hitty sailor and the devil usually comes from anger.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
It's a shitty old boat, not a work of art. if I'd been the original owner just wanting something to putter around in I would have treated it the same way. Boats are a tool. They don't have a soul and don't "deserve" to be maintained beyond their value. Don't be the sucker who throws $1000's of dollars in repairs into a boat that will never be worth more than $1000.
Some of us sooth our souls by bringing disregarded, and abused objects back from the abyss. Some values are intrinsic and can't be purchased, only earned.

And your wrong about the monetary reward too. Snagged a 68 Camero RS for pocket change some years back. Few months later of hobby style work, and minimal cash investment I made a very healthy profit. The smiles on the new owners faces was truly priceless.

Tags
hull, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: