Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2009, 17:50   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
dogging the hatch

Interested how do you dog down your sliding companion way hatch from the inside. I am refurbishing mine this winter. teak seams are getting new black/caulk,tracks refastened and rebbeded, varnish and hardware that works etc... I had clasps on the out side for pad locks but inside their is no way to dog these shut. The small dead bolts with short # 6 screws and the ability to unlatch seem inadequate. I am seeking ideas on how to secure the hatch from the inside more then out. I have clasped shut the aft companionway in heavy seas the Fwd one I thought about but felt uneasy about limiting the passage. my boat is center cockpit with fwd and aft sliding hatches. thoughts and design ideas are appreciated. A picture could be better.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 18:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Can't help to much but whatever you choose make sure you can open it from the outside in case you get accidentally locked out. Was reading something about that not to long ago, where someone got locked out of the boat while on a passage.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 18:33   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
That's my hang up I cant bring myself to positively lock them inside or me out.Of course the deck hatches could be released from the interior. It seems like I should be able to come up with some simple form of everyone is inside now and this hatch isn't moving without us wanting it to scenario. Im shooting blanks on this.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 18:41   #4

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I used two brass slidebolts on the bottom board.( inside) They hold pretty well. I then drilled a hole in the top board and installed a cleat in the cockpit below the bottom board. (outside)

A line with a stopper knot gets passed through the hole in the top board from the inside and then gets cleated off on the cleat below.

To get inside you uncleat the line, remove the top two boards. You can step over the bottom board or reach the latches from the outside.

Sorry, I haven't taken a photo of this. I'll try to post some in the future.

Is there a better set up? probably...If the seas defeat this arrangement, I've probably got bigger problems. So far its been pretty good at keeping the cabin dry and from keeping the boards from flying out.
Old 23-01-2009, 18:53   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Ha, sorry, I just realized you were talking about the slider....

I have an Eye on mine that the clasp and lock normally pass through. I just attach a strong bungy cord to it and then down to the cleat, There's enough flex that I can reach it from inside.
Old 23-01-2009, 20:52   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
accidentally locked out. Was reading something about that not to long ago, where someone got locked out of the boat while on a passage.
Yes, inexperienced sailor in a 20 foot boat starting a circumnavigation. That may spur your memory.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 01:51   #7

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Put a couple dead-bolts on the inside of the hatch and slide them home when the hatch is closed. It's also nice to have a handle on the inside of the hatch if you haven't already installed one.

Otherwise, put a cleat on the inside and tie a line to the hatch and cleat it off on the inside.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote