Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 22:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Does your Beneteau Creak ?

I purchased a 2009 Beneteau Oceanis 46 a couple months ago and during a recent overnight passage in high winds and lumpy seas I was horrified at the level of squeaks and creaks I heard in the fore and aft cabins. The volume and irritation was such that you couldn't sleep without ear plugs.

I've done some investigation and I think the noises are the edges of plywood panels rubbing against each other or the hull liner as the hull flexes under load. In some places I can actually see a fine dust accumulating where panels rub.

My basic understanding of Beneteau construction is that the majority of the structural strength is in a reinforced hull liner that is bonded to the hull. Most all of the non structural furniture is simply screwed plywood panels which sit into this liner.

My mind is turning with thoughts of bonding the offending panels too the hull liner or maybe just inserting a layer of tape under the plywood edges over which the panels could slide silently rather than scrape.

Anyone else have this problem? Any successful solutions found?
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 00:10   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: Does your Beneteau creak?

Can't speak about a bendy but my old Bavaria squealed like a pig with bits rubbing and twisting.

There was a post a week or two ago about the same issue in a cat I think. Some suggestions were to rub soap along the edges that rub, graphite powder, or foam tape.

Try the search and see what you get.

It shouldn't be a big deal and will eventually become "normal"

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 02:30   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Yeh.. my 2009 37 squeaks. Biggest issue is the engine bay steps around 3.00am in the morning with a gentle rocking motion. I'm elbowed out of bed to rub soap on it, but that doesn't seem to work. Leaving the lid up for the rest of the night works, but quick exists to check the water temp is an issue.

You're right about the problem with the bulkheads. I have one side that squeaks when you walk on the deck and I haven't worked out how to fix that either. They seem to be held in place with big coves of flexible mastic and don't appear to be structural.
MechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau 411
I have 1999 411 and have no noises from boat at all. Tho I have a cat who loves to scratch her back on guitar day or night.
Benebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:55   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

On prior boats they all creaked, spoke to someone with a new 2007 or 8 nice trawler (ours are sail) and their boat squeeled like a pig in rough stuff. Most of the time its anywhere teak is screwed to fiberglass and if its tighly fitted the ends and sides rub and make horrible noise as the boat flexes aeven a tiny bit. My wife was on a Huge 108 footer for a few weeks and she said it was the loudest noiseiest creaking shes ever heard.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Does your Beneteau creak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
On prior boats they all creaked, spoke to someone with a new 2007 or 8 nice trawler (ours are sail) and their boat squeeled like a pig in rough stuff. Most of the time its anywhere teak is screwed to fiberglass and if its tighly fitted the ends and sides rub and make horrible noise as the boat flexes aeven a tiny bit. My wife was on a Huge 108 footer for a few weeks and she said it was the loudest noiseiest creaking shes ever heard.
LOL.... you should hear a 43yr old Contest 29 in a F7.... made topsides seem peaceful...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 05:46   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Walker View Post
I purchased a 2009 Beneteau Oceanis 46 a couple months ago and during a recent overnight passage in high winds and lumpy seas I was horrified at the level of squeaks and creaks I heard in the fore and aft cabins. The volume and irritation was such that you couldn't sleep without ear plugs.

I've done some investigation and I think the noises are the edges of plywood panels rubbing against each other or the hull liner as the hull flexes under load. In some places I can actually see a fine dust accumulating where panels rub.

My basic understanding of Beneteau construction is that the majority of the structural strength is in a reinforced hull liner that is bonded to the hull. Most all of the non structural furniture is simply screwed plywood panels which sit into this liner.

My mind is turning with thoughts of bonding the offending panels too the hull liner or maybe just inserting a layer of tape under the plywood edges over which the panels could slide silently rather than scrape.

Anyone else have this problem? Any successful solutions found?
You might find that simply spraying a bit of SailKote on the edges of the offending panels will solve your problem. The panels and the tops of the ribs upon which the panels rest. Bonding the panels to the liner would be unwise, particularly so if one needs reach the underlyng area. Aboard our boat the underlying spaces are used for storage--e.g. we have an additional 50' of chain under the sole in the main salon. All our panels are thoroughly bolted down, however, against the possiblity of a knock-down.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 05:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Would'nt be a Bene if it did'nt creak. Main issue on mine was ther sole boards.
Smear of dry lube on edges fixed it.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:48   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Wonderful to hear I'm not alone and thanks too for the great tips.
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:16   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Arrghh maties, if you didn't hear the creaking down below, how would you know you are on a ship--just listen to the hollywood movies. Actually, I would be interested in hearing from someone who claims their boat doesn't creak in a seaway.

In the forecabin of my Bendytoy there was a vertical central panel which butted on the floor panel, and to give out sharp cracking noises when we fell off waves, I had the Thai's put quarter-round teak on each side of the joint with plenty of screws, and haven't heard a sound from it since.

The step over the engine also creaks loudly when someone is steps on it, but that's my burglar alarm, and I'm not about to fix it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:21   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Bluestocking's deck-stepped mast is carried on compression posts fore and aft of the head door.
If you get the "squirts" at anything over 20 knots of breeze, you have to wait until we tack to open the door.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:22   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

We had and I say had creeks when we first purchased her but kicking a little baby powder into the cracks solved the nasty noise........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:49   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Actually, I would be interested in hearing from someone who claims their boat doesn't creak in a seaway.
VALIS doesn't, or at least not so you would notice. All the bulkheads are well-tabbed to the hull and liner. We've sailed for days in significant seas, so if there were creaks we would have heard them. All the doors and drawers open and close-- it's pretty solid down below.

I'm not saying that this makes VALIS a more seaworthy boat, and this rigidity comes at the price of weight, but you did ask!

Now the rigging -- that creaks and groans. It's a regular symphony, and after a week I can even make out three-part choral harmony, with lyrics in some unknown language.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:13   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

No, but I've seen plenty of drooping Bristols.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:26   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

you have to pay extra for the 'authentic' creaking.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau