Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 07:09   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Does Loctite protect against galvanic corrosion?

I'm installing an aluminum arch kit on the stern of my boat. The aluminum parts fit snugly together and then are secured with stainless bolts going into tapped threads in the aluminum. The vendor recommends the use of Loctite on the threads. My question is, does Loctite provide any dissimilar-metal galvanic corrosion protection? If not, can anyone recommend a product that provides both thread locking and galvanic corrosion protection?

Thanks,
David.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 07:10   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Does Loctite protect against galvanic corrosion?

It may, but tefgel is much better for that. If you don't need a thread locker then tefgel is the way to go. Apply liberally.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 07:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I use Permatex #3 on stainless that is going into aluminum.

I learned that trick from an outboard mechanic who dealt with stainless bolts in aluminum every day. The first time he would work on an old engine, he had to use his fire wrench (torch) to get it apart. If it came back after he reassembled it with Permatex, he had no problem getting it apart.

It really prevents the stainless and aluminum from becoming one.
Old 20-07-2017, 08:03   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Which Loctite? They make a range of products. I believe one may be a corrosion inhibitor. But regular Loctites are those used as anti-seize and threadlock properties.

Tefgel, Duralac, Lanocote, etc. are good protectors. Tefgel and Lanocote work while Duralac hardens. But Duralac can be painted over. etc. All good stuff.

There are also other less globally common products.

So have your pick.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 08:38   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I tend to use Blue Loctite for this, with pretty good results. Including on fasteners in spars. And as an indicator of what some others think of it, Harken routinely ships their hardware with it. Hardware meaning the sort which has stainless fasteners going into aluminum parts. Many/most of which are quite structural, but that do need to be diassembled, including for routine maintenance.

That said, why not look it up yourself? This in addition to both calling & emailing them about it. That way you get multiple feedback channels. And if the concensus of it sounds good to you, then give it a go.

One other thought, is that normally when using Blue Loctite, such as to secure stainless to stainless, or on things outside of the marine environment. Is that you usually only use a drop or three of the stuff. But to get better galvanic isolation you'll want to coat more of the threads on a fastener, sometimes their entirety. But do a bit of testing of this technique on something non-critical first, as is wise to do with anything new.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 08:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mmmm. . . If you are putting stainless machine screws into aluminum, and you want them to come out later . . . You should use helicoils (or other threaded insert).

That is the only proper and sure way to achieve the objective.

Even with tuffgel, in my experience, 25-30% of the machine screws will be at least semi-frozen (after hard use/tough climates) 5 years later.

Put the helicoils in with locktite.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:10   #7

OP: I like lanolin. But of course that wont lock the screws in place. I doubt you will have an issue if you just keep an eye on the screws from time to time. If you have aluminum tubes that slip inside one another I would coat the mating area also, if Salt gets in there they may become unseparable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I tend to use Blue Loctite for this, with pretty good results. Including on fasteners in spars. And as an indicator of what some others think of it, Harken routinely ships their hardware with it. Hardware meaning the sort which has stainless fasteners going into aluminum parts. Many/most of which are quite structural, but that do need to be diassembled, including for routine maintenance.

That said, why not look it up yourself? This in addition to both calling & emailing them about it. That way you get multiple feedback channels. And if the concensus of it sounds good to you, then give it a go.

One other thought, is that normally when using Blue Loctite, such as to secure stainless to stainless, or on things outside of the marine environment. Is that you usually only use a drop or three of the stuff. But to get better galvanic isolation you'll want to coat more of the threads on a fastener, sometimes their entirety. But do a bit of testing of this technique on something non-critical first, as is wise to do with anything new.
I just spoke with tech-support at Loctite, and they recommended Blue 243, and coating the entire bolt, except the exposed surface of the head. Basically it will provide thread-locking *AND* corrosion protection whenever it is between two mated surfaces. Looks like you had the right answer :-)

My other option, once the arch is fully installed, is to have someone come over and weld all the joins. I may actually consider this down the road...

Thanks,
David.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 20-07-2017, 09:21   #9

I have used Never-Seize for decades and never had a galvanic problem. However, do NOT use copper based Never-Seize on aluminum. Use the nickel based stuff made for stainless. It's dark gray. It's also messy. But it works. The nickel based NeverSeize can be used on steel and other metals, too. I use it on bronze turnbuckles, shackle pins, just about everything you want to be able to disassemble.
wcapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you have aluminum tubes that slip inside one another I would coat the mating area also, if Salt gets in there they may become unseparable.
Good point! Thanks!
Old 20-07-2017, 09:27   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Which Loctite? They make a range of products. I believe one may be a corrosion inhibitor. But regular Loctites are those used as anti-seize and threadlock properties.

Tefgel, Duralac, Lanocote, etc. are good protectors. Tefgel and Lanocote work while Duralac hardens. But Duralac can be painted over. etc. All good stuff.

There are also other less globally common products.

So have your pick.

b.
Those would be my top-three go-tos, as well. I like Duralac on the mast, Lanacote on turnbuckles and Permatex/Tefgel on machinery. I have a steel boat, so the topic comes up a fair bit.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:43   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Harken routinely ships their hardware with it..
Just FYI, if using harken as a benchmark . . . Pretty much all their aluminum is hard anodized (the black coating) which greatly reduced corrosion, and if you look in the loaded threaded holes you will usually see threaded inserts. I just copied this from one of their product descriptions . . ."Bolt holes in the hardcoat-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum are threaded with stainless steel inserts to prevent corrosion around the stainless bolts. "
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:40   #13

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Does Loctite protect against galvanic corrosion?

The Germans in the UBoats put on everything Vaseline to prevent corrosion and galvanic issues between dissimilar metals. Ive used it everywhere I can, no corrosion anywhere.
Ernie
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:57   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Just FYI, if using harken as a benchmark . . . Pretty much all their aluminum is hard anodized (the black coating) which greatly reduced corrosion, and if you look in the loaded threaded holes you will usually see threaded inserts. I just copied this from one of their product descriptions . . ."Bolt holes in the hardcoat-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum are threaded with stainless steel inserts to prevent corrosion around the stainless bolts. "
Touche! Helicoils definitely can be handy. And I'm in agreement with coating the slip together aluminum joints with an agent to prevent them from seizing to themselves. Either that, or purposefully bond them together, much as is done when repairing or assembling spars using sleeves & fasteners. It's common to bolt & bond sections together when doing this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:59   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Vaseline...now that is common stuff and cheap. Thanks for the tip.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, rot