Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 20:09   #1

Does a 1968 Cal 28 have a steel beam under the mast compression post?

I have searched the web and cannot find if a 1968 cal 28 has the steel beam underneath the mast compression post. I have seen pictures of 29's and other cal boats with them. I just purchased a project boat that i am going to work on for the next couple years. I am not affraid to do the repair if i have to i just want a heads up to know what to look for. If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Whilehewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Does a 1968 cal 28 have a steel beam under the mast compression post?

You can always drill an exploratory hole & refill with epoxy filler. Check the chips with a magnet. Or if it's really rusty, you'll know for sure.
And then there are the forums>>> Cal - SailboatOwners.com

>>> Discussion Forum - SeaKnots
Old 07-03-2012, 20:23   #3

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I found this while digging around.
Glad you saved the Cal from a questionable future.
Al

Cal 28 Sailboat Cal Sailboats Cal Boats Cal Yachts Classic Plastic Jensen Marine Cal 28 Bill Lathrop Jack Jensen Good Old Boat

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:30   #4

Thanks for the replies I will definatly be drilling lots of exploratory holes as i am basically stripping the boat down to hull and starting from fresh. I know that this isn't the most frugal way to do this but its more about the process than the cost for me. I was just hoping that i could get some info from someone who has acutally seen the beam or if there is one and what its made of. There is alot of info on other cal's but very little on the 28.
Old 07-03-2012, 22:36   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

From Cal_boats Yahoo group

Yahoo! Groups

Someone about a year or so ago wrote the original Cal 28 did not have a steel beam, so there was no need to concern ourselves with this right of passage. Instead, they wrote the Cal 28 has a wooden beam of some kind.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48   #6

Not sure if a wooden beam makes me feel much better but at least it will be easier to check. I'm just trying to get as much info about this as I can. So I have a better idea of where to start digging.
Old 04-09-2012, 21:29   #7

I have a 1964 cal 28, hull 41 and am doing much the same as you, currently rebuilding the galley with reefer, sink and stove/oven.

I bought a camera-on-a-wire today and had a look under the liner, below the compression post. The fiberglass ridge, or divider between the cabin and head is hollow. The liner looks to me to be built in a way to take the load, and that no 'dreaded steel beam' was used. I did find a vertical 2x4 on the underside of the liner visible from the adjacent seat. It was odd though, in that it terminated short of the hull and keel. I have my suspicions....

The reason for my inspection in the first place was due to the sag I observed in the cabin top where the mast step is. I wonder why the load path is stopped short to the liner. Why was the 'dreaded steel beam' added to the 28-2 and others?

It seems wither way, that I need to fix it.

I heard that with some boats, a wedge was used between compression post and keel to set the height. Perhaps I am simply missing that wedge?

Can you look at your cal 28? Under the seat next to the compression post. Follow the load path down. Is there a 2x4 laminated to the liner in a vertical orientation? Is there a wedge between 2x4 and hull? I'll take a better look and maybe pictures next time I am down at the boat. Thanks!

What's on your list of projects? And pictures or a blog to share? Where are you located?
Thorpydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10   #8

Re: Does a 1968 Cal 28 have a steel beam under the mast compression post?

I will definatley take a look at it this weekend as i plan on heading down to do some cleanup etc. My list of projects is huge haha. I have the entire interior removed from the boat right now. I am in the process of re-laminating the entire aft 3/4's or the deck from inside the boat. It is recieving new chainplate bulkheads and mast compression post, all new cabinatry. Really there is no end to the list in the near future, but this was all part of the plan not unexpected. I live in North Vancouver BC. The boat is located in Abotsford BC it is currently on dry land.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52   #9

Re: Does a 1968 Cal 28 have a steel beam under the mast compression post?

Wow, sounds like a project!

You said you have the entire interior removed. Does that mean the inner liner? The main bulkheads? Compression post? Are you holding up the deck in some way?
Thorpydo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cal 28, compression, mast