Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2013, 17:01   #16

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Dodger prices

a 42' yacht next to me paid over $16,000 for his full enclosure.
needless to say i will make my own.

scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:37   #17

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41

Speaking from very recent experience - we are building our own enclosure...

Price a YKK Vislon #10 White Double Pull 48" Zipper - How many do you think you need?
Price Facing - 350 ft
Price Binding -150 ft
Price Sunbrella - 20 sq yd
Price a sheet of Crystal Clear - five sheets
Price a spool of Tenara TR 92 thread - two spools

I about fell over - spent $2,050 on just the materials and haven't set a stitch yet.......

Told the Admiral - Happy B'day, Merry Xmas and Happy Anniversary

sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Same here. Just finished a dodger. Material alone (retail prices bought by us) cost ~$1800USD for 3 sheets of Strataglass, 16yds of Weblon (used instead of Sunbrella), a spool of Tenara thread, grommets and snaps, zippers, etc. We are lucky and labor here in Guatemala is inexpensive - we had one of the best/most expensive places charge us $350 total in labor. We did pay extra for shipping the materials in.

Call it just north of $2k. The original one done in the US was over $4,000.

All-in-all, I don't think your quote is unusual.

Your pain will be in discovering that much of the Sunbrella you pay for (or whatever you use) will be left on the floor as scraps. You pay for both the window vinyl and the Sunbrella missing from those windows!

Of our 16yds of Weblon, we have maybe 1yd of remaining material left in the dodger!

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 18:31   #19

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Linda Hunt custom canvas Just finished the full enclosure on our leopard 40. Cost was 12,500 and the workmanship is incredible. The Materials were north of 7000 dollars. My wife and I allmost passed out at seeing the quote, but this project provides a all weather addition to our boat. The project has many coumpound cuves, Uzip stratglass panals and removeable bug screens fitted as well. I cant recommend Linda enough if you are in south florida and need work done. Her husband Jim is also quite the nauticle handyman with a workshop to die for.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 18:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

over the last few years I've averaged 2 to 3 dodgers a month and more biminis than I can count.... and more work than I care to admit...
My cost to build a dodger , top and 5 zip out panels costs about 12 hundred without stainless.. materials used are 15 to 20 yards of sunbrella at $13.00 per yard and 1 sheet of strataglass at $160.00 zippers cost about 3 to 4 dollars each 15 of them so total material is around $500 total on the dodger..
A Bimini will cost about $15.00 per square foot.. without stainless..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 19:54   #21

Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
I had a dodger custom made to my design out of 1/4" marine grade aluminum.

The basic dodger with no windows but with fittings for mounting the fatho and VHF radio and the rubber for mounting the windows was $2700.

With 1/4" safety glass windows cut to size and fitted add $300.

With a used Lewmar 27" x 27" hatched modified to be an opening front window, add $250.

For $3250 I got a dodger that will never need replacing, that I will always be able to see thru and won't rot or deteriorate - and it is basically bomb proof.

There was a lot of aluminum left over (from the window cut-outs and the roof cut off) and with it I was able to make several other projects for the boat (new rear seat, fill in cockpit piece, re-inforce rear hatch board, re-inforce the engine box cover, etc).

All of these projects were on the list of things to do, so they basically ended up being "freebies" since I had the material "on hand".

My only regret is that I should have made the dodger out of 3/16" aluminum to make it lighter, but the extra strength makes you really sleep better at night!

Overall, it looks nice, I get tons of compliments and my wife and I are extremely happy with the finished results.

Doug Brown
New Bern,NC
Photos please.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

dodger, price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: