Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 21:03   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Duly noted...Thanks a bunch Frank..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 23:27   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
On the Australian GBR and Coral sea sharks have a pecking order with Tigers at the top of the tree. They generally swim around steadily and they have the right of way. It surprises me that a reef shark would attempt to harrass a tiger from my experience.

On charter boats I have operated with linefishing and spearfishing groups the smaller reef sharks are often first on the scene harassing and can get stirred up (frenzy). Once the walers start coming around (they are much more capable) the reefsharks tend to fade out and then along comes a hammerhead (larger) and the walers will dissappear. Hammers can be dounright stubborn and percistant trying to chase your fish up on to a coral bommie if spearfishing. Then along comes a tiger and the hammer might be a bit stroppy and can be moving quite fast but will give right of way to the Tiger who generally cruises around in no rush picking up the filleted carcasses alone on the bottom.

when just scuba diving sharks are not an issue to worry about. Generally need to set up a feeding station to attract for photography as shown with some photos earlier.

My experience in Aust GBR anyway. Generally don't see great whites on GBR

JP

Older diver planning a cat for cruising and to get back in the water again on my retirement
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 23:34   #48

Well we wont be bating them in any time soon...just having her out there is good enough for me...

Interesting stories though and Im enjoying everyone of them...Keep them comming...Thanks for all the congrats to my Daughter as well...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 25-02-2010, 23:45   #49

I would second all the replys regarding seeking medical assistance with and issues withears/lungs and blood in mask.

If you enjoy diving and want to continue to indulge ino the future dont' muck around with that area of your health.

Just a word of caution with surface supplied air sytems which anyone can buy off the shelf. You need to have a basic understanding of underwater phisiology and I would recommend undertaking a scuba course first. Most dive accidents happen in under 10metres of water and indeed embolisms(will kill) and ear problems(potential loss of hearing) in first 5 meters (15 feet).
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You can't dive in the PNW in a wet suit can you? Even for maintenance purposes?
Of course you can. A surfing wetsuit isn't going to do the job though, unless you are one tough cookie.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58   #51

Boat: Sceptre 41
I got certified in Oct of 09 prior to the Baja Ha Ha. I bought tanks and regulator after I amassed $200 worth of dive bills in '06 my first year of boat ownership. It seems to me that the prices get lower as you head further south. In Canada I spent $85 can to have my bottom cleaned and then had to replace zincs in Victoria. (Mine were gone) That cost me $75. I bought a tank and a regulator for about $400. I wanted it as I went down the coast in case the prop got caught in a crab pot.

From there in San Diego it cost me $60 and now in mexico it is $41. I replace my own zincs and dive the bottom about half the time. I would like to do it all the time but when faced with the limited time I choose the project that I can do that is the most expensive (eg I'll hire someone to clean the bottom while I perform an electrical repair.)

Congrats to your daughter. My kids just need to do their dives and then they will be certified. We will do that in June when they get out of school -- and the water is warmer.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44   #52

You are one of the few I've heard say that. Most people don't know that in fresh water zinc forms a zinc oxide that insulates it. The mag we use is always half gone at seasons end.

But the prop is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If your anodes are not depleting, then they are not working. Here in the Bay Area, 6-9 months is typical zinc lifespan. Salinity, boat usage, shore power issues, electrical problems aboard your boat (or a neighbor's) all can play a part in how long your zincs last. If you are in freshwater, you should be using magnesium or aluminum anodes, not zinc. FYI.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:43   #53

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr
When I first stared diving many years ago I had issues clearing my ears. Normally you are told to start on the surface and clear every foot or so for the first 10-15 feet. However my instructor told me to start about a week in advance. Sounds funny, but what he meant was, for a week or two leading up to your dive, every time you think about your upcoming dive, clear you ears. We don't use the equalization part of the ear very often so by working it allot it will help to do it when you need it when diving. After being certified I dove allot and got to the point that all I had to do was move my jaw and my ears would equalize

Alsthough I can't do that now, I always follow the week before advice and usually don't have issues. As for blood in the mask. if it is a pink sort of color it is nothing to worry about. It is just a burst blood vessel from pushing to hard when equalizing, if it is darker, then it means there is allot of blood and you should get checked
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 20:56   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It seems to me that the prices get lower as you head further south.
Very true. As you head south, increasing water temps and required frequency of service (and and thus a greater number of divers willing to do the work) creates competition amongst the hull cleaning industry. This keeps prices low. At least on the West Coast. Seems to be a different story back East. Not sure why.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 21:44   #55

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
On the ear problem........

When I was doing dives every weekend in Sandy Eggo I ran across a professional that had some very small tubes installed thru his eardrums after he had ruptured them on a fast dive.

Actually he got caught up in a piece of equipment that broke loose and was dragged down.

He had to learn how to go down w/o getting water in the tubes but he said it was much easier and faster getting to the bottom once he mastered the technique.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CAUTION: Seek professional advice before diving with ear tubes!

I DON'T think most Doctors would approve of diving when one still has tympanostomy tubes inserted.

Many Doctors don’t even want patients (most often children) getting their ears wet after a myringotomy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19   #57

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yeah! That was more then 30 years ago. Technologies change. He may have been using ear plugs, relieving the pressure on the way down.

Hummm! I wonder if they make ear plugs with check valves?
Old 06-03-2010, 17:49   #58

I never really knew what tubes in the ears were till now...I just looked it up and found this...Pretty interesting....Doesn't look like much holding them in there though..I can see where water pressure would be a no no!

Myringotomy (Ear) Tube Surgery Video - 512 Kbps

Old 07-03-2010, 13:57   #59

Ears and lungs when mixed with water pressure and compressed air are icant medical problems and can be potentially fatal.

Thus divers using compressed air need a medical and training. Not difficult.

Ear problems and diving trauma can cause permanent hearing loss and manor balance issues and lung barotrauma (ruptured lungs) caused by not expelling air or unable to on surfacing is fatal.

The principles are easily learnt and covered in all scuba courses. These issues have greatest effect in shallow water 5-10 meters.

Diving on compressed air is like parachuting or flying. One does not try either without training.

Learn to dive and enjoy a great pastime. Cheers
Old 07-03-2010, 14:33   #60

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
My son surfs in a wet suit. He's always threatening to get me one because he wants me to surf with him. You can't dive in the PNW in a wet suit can you? Even for maintenance purposes?
With a wetsuit (7 mil, boots, gloves, hood) you shouldn't have any trouble doing the maintenance and staying warm. I've only done a couple of dives so far but I haven't started to get cold until we were below about 40'. Water temp here this time of year is lower to mid 40's F.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote