Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 14:53   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Do these prices seem right?

The prices are a little high "BUT " what a lot of you don't realise that live in the Northern hemisphere here in Oz the labour rates are high which pushes up the costs since my arrival back here after 25 yrs in the med I have found a lot of things expensive
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:55   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Those prices seem about what I would expect from the East Coast of Australia. I little more than what I see quoted here in South Oz which is to be expected.

Yep, plenty of motivation to DIY when practical.

Congratulations on the purchase. Where are you sailing to and from to bring her home, if you don't mind me asking?

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-07-2015, 20:29   #18

Boat: not yet

[QUOTE=It is always preferable to spray paint rather than using rollers.[/QUOTE]
Why please?
Old 31-07-2015, 22:01   #19

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
The prices are a little high "BUT " what a lot of you don't realise that live in the Northern hemisphere here in Oz the labour rates are high which pushes up the costs since my arrival back here after 25 yrs in the med I have found a lot of things expensive
I think it's unfortunately just a sign of the times. Some particularly d'actualite examples for me right now are $1400 for a car service and $20000 for a realestate agent to do a couple home opens and put a sign up out front.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting older and out of touch.

Oh well, elbow grease is something I have plenty of. Boat maintenance is going to be DIY.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:02   #20

Boat: Saltram 31

Coppercoat the bottom, it will last 10 to 17 years.
Just a lift and powerwash each year.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:47   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmlj View Post
Coppercoat the bottom, it will last 10 to 17 years.
Just a lift and powerwash each year.
Hi Malcom,
I used to agree......however there have been changes at the manufacturer and now I have been reading tales that the product is not what it was and of very disappointing longevity as well as substantial growth. One of the sailing mags did a review a few years ago and concluded that the recipe had changed and even when applied by an authorised outlet the coating was not surviving for longer then about two seasons. This makes it very uneconomical. We do our own these days.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:31   #22

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

1of9, the reason spraying is preferable to rollers is basically, no hidden voids from"roller bounce", or, as they are referred to, holidays. It also uses less material. Just my opinion. You can always tell a roll and tip job from a sprayed one. For small topside jobs using enamel, i.e. yachts, I always used a 4" badger brush with all the "tricks of the trade" employed.I'm retired, and no longer paint boats, but for almost forty years, dry docked large ships and tugs, and they always sprayed the covering. Not being argumentative. Do as you please.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:13   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
1of9, the reason spraying is preferable to rollers is basically, no hidden voids from"roller bounce", or, as they are referred to, holidays. It also uses less material. Just my opinion. You can always tell a roll and tip job from a sprayed one. For small topside jobs using enamel, i.e. yachts, I always used a 4" badger brush with all the "tricks of the trade" employed.I'm retired, and no longer paint boats, but for almost forty years, dry docked large ships and tugs, and they always sprayed the covering. Not being argumentative. Do as you please.
I think you are likely right. Professionals do the job a lot faster and with less materials than us amateurs. However, in the case of anti-fouling the thicker coat, due to the roller/brush can be an advantage. Spraying anti-fouling is not difficult but we apply ours quite easily by roller & brush and have never seen any bounce or voids as its so easy to see the fresh application.
However, if it comes to painting the topsides then I would hand over the spray painting to a professional. I would also ensure I witnessed the spraypainting to ensure I got what I was paying for.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:41   #24

its a couple of gallons of bottom paint and hopefully two coats for 4 k AUS

the next two items are redundant, they are the same thing
considering washing prep and compound and wax they are pretty close to being right
51 ft is a lot of square footage
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price