Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 06:20   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43'
Do stoves need to be gimballed on a mono

We are refitting our galley, and the only stove we could get in a decent size is designed to be installed as a solid fixture, I believe I can gimbal it bet the question came up as to weather it needs to be or not.
It seems to be difficult cooking either way.
We haven't been able to find a definite yes or no as to weather it's critical or not.
Just Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Do stoves need to be gimballed on a mono

The stove only needs to be gimballed if you ever plan to cook while underway.

Seriously, unless it's gimballed it will be impossible to use at sea. Even at anchor if there's a bit of swell or someone rips by in a big powerboat tossing a wake being gimballed would be good.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:36   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Gimballed for sure. To press home the point, try boiling water at home with the stove tilted to 25 degrees, then shake the house.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 16:08   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Our stove is not gimballed on our 32 foot yacht. We only do day sails and it is never an issue.
The stove on my parents 45 foot trawler was never gimballed and we cooked and fished in all sorts of weather. The old man had a serious set of potholders that seemed to do the job.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 16:19   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You can do it without gimballing... you just need really big pots that are only 1/4 full.
Actually I have seen folks who had a fixed 2 burner and then a little single gimbal for cooking soup or coffee while underway, and that is ok for short jaunts but really the best way is a gimballed stove/oven if you want to make a hot meal while underway.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 16:22   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

What Skipmac said...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 16:24   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Our stove is not gimballed on our 32 foot yacht. We only do day sails and it is never an issue.
The stove on my parents 45 foot trawler was never gimballed and we cooked and fished in all sorts of weather. The old man had a serious set of potholders that seemed to do the job.
Cheers
Pot holders only hold pots. They don't keep food in the pot...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 17:06   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Awesome View Post
We are refitting our galley, and the only stove we could get in a decent size is designed to be installed as a solid fixture, I believe I can gimbal it bet the question came up as to weather it needs to be or not.
It seems to be difficult cooking either way.
We haven't been able to find a definite yes or no as to weather it's critical or not.
Frankly old son, if you don't know enough that your would ask such a question, you don't yet know enough to attempt living on a boat, in a marina to say nothing of at sea. Get a few tens of miles at sea under your belt and then come back and ask questions. This won't be one of them....

The foregoing isn't "kind". It is so, however....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 17:13   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just Awesome,

IMO, gimballing does make life easier. That said, a fixed installation CAN work; friends who circumnavigated had one such in a 34 footer. You will accommodate, and make it work. Now, Jim and I have always had gimballed ones, and I think I prefer that. In either case, a pressure cooker is your friend.

Ann
Old 13-03-2018, 17:33   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Do you absolutely need to have a gimballed stove? No. Will it make it harder to use underway? Yes. As Skip says, even some anchorages will be hard to cook in without a gimballed stove. Fiddles are useful, but are not as good as a gimbal. And I agree with Ann, a pressure cooker is awesome, regardless of gimbals.

How much of a challenge a non-gimballed stove is will depend on a lot of factors: What kind of boat? What kind of cruising do you do? Where do you cruise? And what kind of cook are you?

Boat life is all about tradeoffs. Only you can know what the right choice is for you. I can tell you, I like our gimballed stove. Makes cooking at sea a lot easier. And good food while underway is important for maintaining health and spirit of the crew. Don’t underestimate the importance of a good galley.
Old 13-03-2018, 17:35   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Unless it's gimballed it will be impossible to use at sea.
I cook on wood fire at sea. It is not gimbaled. It's not impossible.

Gimbaled stove would not work in rough conditions anyway. The pot has to lock to the stove, and the lid has to seal to the pot. Now you can make complete 360 and not spill food.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 18:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you can mount it on centerline, athwartships and near the center, and get some good pot-clamps, you should be able to eschew gimbals. I have some tall narrow pots I use for cooking at sea because even a gimbaled stove gets sloshy when it's lumpy out. But I second the pressure cooker, and if I ever find other pots with lockable lids, I'm going to get them.
Old 13-03-2018, 18:13   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Just Awesome,

IMO, gimballing does make life easier. That said, a fixed installation CAN work; friends who circumnavigated had one such in a 34 footer. You will accommodate, and make it work. Now, Jim and I have always had gimballed ones, and I think I prefer that. In either case, a pressure cooker is your friend.

Ann
Ann, Benz, Mike and others are 100% right, however even a pressure cooker, on a gimballed stove, in potholders, still managed to "fly'; contents were saved by the secure lid but handle broke, and dented the cabin sole..... Anyway, cook when you can, then you don't have to do that when weather deteriorates.

Addit: "Just Awesome", just noticed you're not far from where I am, send me a PM if you like
Old 13-03-2018, 18:21   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

In what context do you mean “NEED.”

Our 33’ boat had a non gimballed stove for 35 years until some AH surveyor wrote it up as non ABYC compliant on an insurance survey. He also found the 35 yo stern light had to be moved and sternly “let me go” over the fact that I had 2 GC batteries I. A steel boat and that was “not right at all”, you “need” a single 12 volt cell.

So I “needed” to change my stove mount.

BTW, folks like Dickenson sell diesel stoves for boats. None are gimballed. I don’t think it’s even possible. Ditto wood.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 19:49   #15

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

No, the stove doesn't "need" to be gimballed, I have sailed many miles at sea over 20 years without, and we do cook. Having said that, I have also delivered boats with gimballed stoves and they are nice, nice enough I have decided to gimbal mine.

In my experience, it's more important where in the boat the stove is installed and the motion of the boat in a seaway. But yes, gimbals are nice.

You can usually add them to a fixed installation with some work.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove