Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 08:29   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Do Calipers Get Lubricated??

Was just cleaning my 6" analog set of calipers, and was wondering - do the beams get lubricated? And if so, with what? Seems any lubricant would attract dirt. Hmm...

Anyone know for sure? Digital calipers would have the same requirements.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:54   #2

Re: Do Calipers Get Lubricated??

I do believe they do. As you noted any lube will attract grit. I worked in aerospace for 30 years and don't believe I ever saw anyone lube calipers, even the certification tech who recertified them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 12:46   #3

On various machinist's forums the opinions are all over the place. Think I am going to keep them dry until indicated otherwise.
Old 31-07-2016, 13:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only reason to lube is if they begin to corrode, I have never lubed either calipers or micrometers, or dial indicators either

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 14:00   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You could use a dry film lubricant like macLube... very slippery but does not attract dirt.

Jim
Old 31-07-2016, 14:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think they work by a roller rolling along and moving the needle, if it slips even a tiny bit it won't measure correctly?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-07-2016, 14:44   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2179118]Only reason to lube is if they begin to corrode, I have never lubed either calipers or micrometers, or dial indicators either

If you start cruising with micrometers you will find corrosion on the shaft inside the body if they are left dry.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 15:42   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Boeshield T-9 goes on all my repair tools. Protects without attracting "yuck".
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 17:33   #9

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

I spent time, my misspent youth, measuring the carapaces of crabs and other crustaceans on the sorting tray of research trawlers and on rocky shores etc. Using high quality stainless steel vernier calipers. Not the dial ones a64pilot mentioned - that style was spurned because water, fine grit and slime are impossible to keep out of the mechanism. And the need to recalibrate the dial frequently contradicted with the reality of work in those conditions. So verniers only, no dials. And decades before electronics and LCDs.

Standard practice was to rinse the calipers in freshwater to remove salt, grit, and biological slime. Then air dry in the open position. But that was only when back on shore at the lab.

I used a silicone spray, infrequently. Other researchers used a bicycle chain lube, a non-gunk drying clear stuff added one tny drop at a time.

In idle moments, we massaged carbon steel and stainless steel tools with a dry lube stick. Keeps surface rust off carbon steel tools. And enhances one's grip on cold wet things.
Old 31-07-2016, 17:50   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I've not been able to keep stainless steel vernier calipers on the boat from needing oil from time to time - the tiny threads on the locking screws seem particularly vulnerable, and once they stick, it's a big risk to add more torque to free them. Identical calipers in my home shop never need it. Mine aren't dial calipers, but I doubt that small amounts of lubricant will cause a dial to slip.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 19:11   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

My Starrett dial calipers are wiped down with a light machine oil (3 in 1) every few years. All excess is wiped off. It has not adversely affected precision or repeatability.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 20:16   #12

The one I have on board is a dial caliper, stainless steel. I keep it in a zip-lock bag with some silica dessicant, inside its own fitted box, stored in a locker. So far, so good. Ten years at least

On the other hand, despite conscientious care of my other hand tools, including regular application of Corrosion Block and keeping the tools inside their plastic tool box, inside a locker, corrosion seems to appear, regardless of my efforts.

Maybe just accept that it is a consumable, like screwdrivers, drill bits, etc.

Not a huge issue, just curious what others do. If I was ashore, it wouldn't be an issue .
Old 01-08-2016, 10:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
On various machinist's forums the opinions are all over the place. Think I am going to keep them dry until indicated otherwise.
True, but try a dry lubricant or just wd-40(lps-2).
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I only have a dial caliper on board, it has stayed in its box a couple of years with no issue, I don't have any dial indicators, but will maybe get one, but doubt I'll carry mics as the plasti gauge works well for what I would likely use a mic for.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:57   #15

Boat: On the beach, West of Ireland - Edge of Europe 3100 miles E of NY City

Short answer is yes; both digital and analog. Have used a wipe with a cloth with light sewing machine oil to keep calipers, micrometers and other bright metal parts bright. As I have very damp hands I have found this stops rusting from finger contact and keeping items in an air tight plastic box wraped in the oily cloth when not in use reduces the dirt/dust problem. Once in a long while washing them in white spirit or gasoline and reoiling stops gumming.
hope this helps, Dave. -- Spirals --
OldBlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal