Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 08:51   #16

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Re: Do Any of You Have a Companionway Like This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I like that very much and may steal it, if you don't mind.

In return, I will give you an idea I have yet to implement, but I believe it's cheap to create.

You can set up a motion detection switch circuit to single red LEDs, all powered by a single 9V battery. When your foot crosses the threshold of the companionway hatch, so to speak, the steps are illuminated by LED from the side (a 1/2 inch hole would suffice.

After ten seconds, it auto-shuts off. I estimate I can hack this out for about ten bucks and can waterproof it for two bucks of silicone.

Nice on the night watch, and it won't ruin your night vision.
Nice Idea and I'd like to see the circuit when you do it or if you have it now. I like the 9 volt battery since I pull the companionway in and out to get to the Perkins and that would save plugging a wire in and out. I use to make a lot of little circuits like that with the books you got at Radio Shack, but they are long gone.

I actually wouldn't mind two circuits, one with red and one with white LED's. We could use the brighter LED's when night vision isn't a consideration. We live on the boat while we are working on it at the yard and it would be nice there when we return and the same on anchor. We do put the yard lights on it now in the yard to help get up the ladder and back to the cockpit,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 08:33   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
Cool! Nice work too. If you're replacing your ladder treads anytime, consider giving them a curve, nicer to climb/descend when the boat heels; not my idea, plagiarised it from an intelligent cruiser, but if you've already sent the royalty cheque, my thanks in advance.
I have not seen curved tread steps, but that seems like a great idea for day to day use and the added safety of your feet always finding a level tread would be quite helpful
Old 17-11-2012, 09:12   #18

Boat: OEM, proportional

It was one of those "duh, it's so simple and practical, why didn't I think of that..." moments. Makes good sense...I was considering applying the principle to the locker sides in the cockpit and saloon as well; instead of a hard right angle between deck/bulkheads, break the corner with an angled strip. Probably easier to clean, too. Not much use if your name is Ileene, though...
Old 23-11-2012, 18:01   #19

Curved steps are very nice to have. We've got them on our Beneteau 41.

Sumner, great work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5025.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	50153  
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 18:16   #20

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
Curved steps are very nice to have. We've got them on our Beneteau 41.

Sumner, great work!
Those are nice ! I think we will have to stay with flat. We need to get the boat in the water and be gone for a while and I don't want to make new curved drawers . If I would of seen these a year ago I might of tried though. Thanks for the picture,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 19:25   #21

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

beautiful work - i think i'd do without the handles and have holes to pull open with and they do need some way to lock them shut (apologies if i just didnt notice that feature in the photos), but i might be having a go at something similiar myself, thanks for sharing.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 21:12   #22

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Another take on this good idea, could be nets under the steps, to hold items, rather than drawers that have to be pulled out to access contents. A net would show the contents, allowing quick locating of things, and a strong bungee cord along the top of the net would allow easy access and keep the landing of each step clear for walking at all times. The net would also work well with the rounded step treads that are such a good idea.

Sum, thanks for the great idea of extra storage, I will modify that a bit with fish net to replace the heavier wood.
Old 24-11-2012, 00:57   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Nice woodworking I particularly like the extra work space.

FWIW, on mine the top step folds up. I consider it an anti-pirate measure .....as when unaware (or simply forget ) you have a good chance of breaking neck when stepping down. Trust me on that .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companionway