Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:33   #1

DIY yard on Georgia coast

Does anyone know of any good DIY yards along the Georgia coast? My sailboat is 40' LOA and I would like to find a marina/yard where I can put it on the hard for 6-8 months while I re-fit the interior. I don't need to do any work on the hull or outside painting, 95% of the work is interior cabinetry and electrical.

I've searched active captain up and down the coast and there seems to be a lot of yards just over the border in South Carolina and also just over the border in Jacksonville. However living in Atlanta those are both 5hr drives and I'd like to find a yard that is ~4hr or less from Atlanta so I was hoping to find a yard in Savanna or around that area.
opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: DIY yard on Georgia coast

Hum. DIY yards in Savannah are as rare as Hens Teeth. Really there are only a few sailboat yards in Savannah, Thunderbolt marina which I don't think allow DIY and The Hinckley Company, 2400 Mechanics Ave, Thunderbolt, GA "Savannah", GA, (P) 912 629-2400 Gee with the traffic in Savannah, your probably looking at 5 hours to get to either yard.

There is Brunswick Landing Marina, But that's a good 5-6 hours from hotlanta.

BTW, while I use to sail and live in Savannah/Thunderbolt, I've never hauled there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Yep. What Sailorchic said. Hard to get to anywhere on the ocean from Atlanta in 4 hours. Getting through Savannah unless on a weekend or middle of the night could be 5 hours easy unless you're leaving from Lithonia or somewhere else on the east or southeast side of Atlanta.

Really slightly further to SC and I see a lot more options there.

On the other hand, have you thought about trucking your boat to Atlanta? If you have a place to park it would probably cost you $4000 round trip, less if you haul it to a marina with a travel lift like Lake Lanier. After you add all the travel, time lost, wear and tear on you and your car it would be worth it.

Did that with my 42' Pearson and over time it's saved me a fortune in marina fees, gas and driving time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
On the other hand, have you thought about trucking your boat to Atlanta? If you have a place to park it would probably cost you $4000 round trip, less if you haul it to a marina with a travel lift like Lake Lanier. After you add all the travel, time lost, wear and tear on you and your car it would be worth it.
That would be my first choice. But I don't have anywhere to keep it as I live downtown. I may approach the storage facility I kept my car at while I was working overseas as there are quite a few boats stored there as well. I just don't know how keen they would be about me working on the boat there, even if it is all interior work.

If I end up having to go a litter further does anyone have any recommendations for DIY yards in southern NC or northern Jacksonville?
opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
That would be my first choice. But I don't have anywhere to keep it as I live downtown. I may approach the storage facility I kept my car at while I was working overseas as there are quite a few boats stored there as well. I just don't know how keen they would be about me working on the boat there, even if it is all interior work.

If I end up having to go a litter further does anyone have any recommendations for DIY yards in southern NC or northern Jacksonville?
Check with the marinas on Lake Lanier and find out what they would charge to pick your boat up with lift and park it on the hard there. Easier and cheaper to use a regular boat hauler. I used a hydraulic trailer that can drop the boat any flat piece of ground where you can get a truck and they charge more.

If you really want it close to home I'll bet you can find someone around Atlanta that would let you park the boat at a storage place or some farmer in his back pasture.

Failing that, Green Cover Springs Marine on the St Johns River about 30 miles south of Jacksonville is the best deal in the area. DIY no problem but lots of local help if you want it. Only major downside, it's a bit of a drive to the nearest boat store.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Going the other way, there is Shalimar yacht Basin DESTIN FL MARINA: Boating at it's Best in Destin FL

Which is about 5-1/4 hours door to door from downtown Altanta, down I-85/I-65. They seem to allow DIY and the winter weather will be nicer.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia