Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 04:25   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
DIY Workbench: Collapsible, & Portable - Improvements Needed

Yes, I'll confess, I have a permanent case of LUST when it comes to having a dedicated workbench onboard a boat. Though it's rarely common to have the space onboard for such, so... I adapted/adopted the following idea.

It’s pretty easy to make a compact collapsible work bench from a 2”x12” (or similar), plus a set of hinges. But I'm curious as to what you guys might have idea wise in terms of improvements on mine. And below are instructions on how to make one akin to the one I've built.

- You cut the 2"x12" into 3 pieces. One being the bench’s top, which is long enough to sit on while working. And to stabilize it via your seated weight. The other 2 cut from the 2"x12" will be the bench's legs

- After which, you attach the legs to the bench with door hinges, such that when folded the legs will be fully underneath of the bench top. So that it folds flat for compact storage.

- Followed by machining a hole into the lower part of both bench legs, for a cross bar which will hold them in place.

- Then fit a cross bar through the two legs, & machine it for a locking pin on both ends. The locking pin’s purpose being to hold the legs in position via the cross piece.

- And you then can:
~Fit a vise onto the benchtop using Quick Detachable fasteners
~ Machine holes into the worktop to hold your most commonly used tools when you’re working. Such as; a rigging knife, mallet, awl, scissors, splicing wands, etc.
~Fit the bench with a metal “anvil plate” over part of it’s length so that it can be pounded on heavily while using a hammer to shape various project parts.
~Ditto on adding a small, smooth sheet of FRP to it's top to use as a micro-laminating work surface for building composite parts on.

- Also, it would pay to incorporate a way to easily, & firmly attach the workbench to; a set of sawhorses, a table top, the boat’s cockpit bench seats, or similar seating benches belowdecks in the saloon, etcetera.

So what do you guys have in terms of possible improvements?
TIA

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 05:18   #2

Re: DIY Workbench: Collapsible, & Portable - Improvements Needed

Have you considered an old B&D workbox?

They still pop up on eBay.

I have one, replaced the particle board top with an exact copy in hardwood.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 05:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yes, I'll confess, I have a permanent case of LUST when it comes to having a dedicated workbench onboard a boat. Though it's rarely common to have the space onboard for such, so... I adapted/adopted the following idea.

It’s pretty easy to make a compact collapsible work bench from a 2”x12” (or similar), plus a set of hinges. But I'm curious as to what you guys might have idea wise in terms of improvements on mine. And below are instructions on how to make one akin to the one I've built.
Why don't you post a picture of the one you built? Great idea, would be neat to see.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 07:59   #4

Boat: Douglas 32

A whole room AND a milling machine! Here is a work area to drool over!

On a 50 foot power boat. Link: https://microship.com/boat-machine-shop/

This is more our style:

Use the back of a hinged door, or hinged settee cushion, attach clamps or vice.

I have used a settee cushion that has a wood back. Sit on one end to hold it stable ( flipped upside down) in the cockpit for a flat surface to work on for sanding, sawing, varnishing.
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 08:08   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gregory View Post
A whole room AND a milling machine! Here is a work area to drool over!

That looks very nice, but it could become a death trap in a storm with all that stuff flying around.

There is a reason we have a catch on the knife and fork draw and 2 extra bolts on the chart table lid, to stop sharp stuff coming out.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 09:30   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Have tried to make the best of space on my small 30 fter.
So my fender board doubles as my work bench (2 x 8") cut to the exact length
between my winches with the smallest notch cut out on each end so it locks in
athwartship. Can mount vise, has a few holes for tools and and few depressions to hold
screws/bolts. As fender board is a consumable i get to make a new improved one every few years. Also comes in handy to stand on if needed to get a better look ahead.
It lives under bunk or tied to rail when being used frequently.
Not good with posting pics.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 10:41   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I replaced the top of my nav station with something more robust (the original is still at home) and use that. Not much use for the nav station theses days.
Old 29-05-2017, 11:01   #8

Boat: J/42

One of the things I've been looking at, shopping 40-footers, is some place for a dedicated workshop. But... they're all laid out exactly like my 30-footer... everything is just a little bit bigger. In lieu of a dedicated cabin, I'm thinking of some piece of cabinetry that opens up sort of like an old Boy Scout field kitchen.

Hmm... here's one built into a Pelican Box.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 11:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gregory View Post

This is more our style:
Yeah, this is nice. I have to say though that I seriously question the real utility of this kind of set up? For real.

I have a entire quarter berth given over to waterproof plastic boxes of tools, walking foot sewing machine, spare parts, and materials. After six months of full time cruising I can say with confidence that all of this valuable stuff has largely been nothing but waste of space and weight, not to mention a real hinderance when it has come time to perform normal maintenance like changing fuel filters or whatever because of the time it takes to dig all that stuff out.

While I like the OP's idea of a collapsible bench and would very much like to see a photo of the one he says he built (everyone these days has a cell phone with a camera, right?) I wonder if even this is worth the space?

I mean, even though I know that cruising is fixing your boat in exotic locations, I spent a lot of time and effort getting my boat as squared away as possible before I left. The one time I dragged out the tools to do any real work in the last six months was to fix someone else's boat who wasn't quite so well prepared. It's nice to have the capacity to be independent but enabling other people wasn't what I had in mind.

Next time we put into shore somewhere I can offload most of this stuff I will. If you are all blue water capable and whatnot you really don't need it. Not to say there is anything wrong with it if it gets you off or you really need a hobby or whatever but seriously, plenty of people have sailed RTW with little more than a spammer and a hammer. Could think of a lot of other uses for that real estate....
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 11:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

I have one planned in the works. Refitting my 1/4 berth into a work area (I mean thats where I shove all my tools anyway!

I'm undecided what the very back will be used for. But something I don't need access to often. I'll make 3 large deep drawers that fill the 1/4 berth for misc tools and parts. In the several inch gap that's leftover from where the hull comes out I'll have a shallow cabinet with peg boards holding hand tools 2 with removable hinges and the back one fixed. The most common tools on the front... etc back.

The remaining seat area I'll keep there. And have a cushion. My dinette which I'm converting to more of a U shape sofa than a dinette will back up to my work area. So on the wall of the "sofa" I'll have a flip up nav table/ work table.

Hopefully will have pics to share this time next year! Hauling out for my cabin refit with first frost. Here's to hoping my new marina doesn't hate me!

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 11:50   #11

Boat: J/42

This is far too big for my boat, but maybe something like the idea in the OP

toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 15:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Have you considered an old B&D workbox?

They still pop up on eBay.

I have one, replaced the particle board top with an exact copy in hardwood.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...WguV16hWWSt-M:
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 19:09   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Firstly, sorry guys, I suck at posting pics, otherwise I would. I even started a thread a while back asking for tips on Posting Pics for Dummies, but got 0 responses. But no worries.

Anyway, part of the idea for the workbench came out of a book I read ages ago. Bruce Bingham maybe? But when I'm delivering/crewing on a boat for a week to a month+, & the boat's in transit a lot, there are always loads of things which need fixing or modifying. So a workbench becomes closer to a necessity than a luxury.

Plus the mentioned design is quick to build, as well as cheap. Cheap enough that owner's don't balk at the materials costs, especially since when I leave, the bench stays behind with the boat. Which again, owners love. And getting them involved in simple projects, including building the bench, makes it easier to talk them into undertaking bigger, necessity type projects. Either at the time, or 3 months down the road. Whether it's making a new halyard, or buying a new sail.

Also, said bench is a pretty durable setup. And the ability to mount a real vise aids immensely with doing more than just woodworking. Things like rigging, metal fabrication, & just having a 3rd or 4th hand to hold something while you're working on the project. So yes, vises are a vice of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Have tried to make the best of space on my small 30 fter.
So my fender board doubles as my work bench (2 x 8") cut to the exact length
between my winches with the smallest notch cut out on each end so it locks in
athwartship. Can mount vise, has a few holes for tools and and few depressions to hold
screws/bolts. As fender board is a consumable i get to make a new improved one every few years. Also comes in handy to stand on if needed to get a better look ahead.
It lives under bunk or tied to rail when being used frequently.
Not good with posting pics.
I'm liking this idea a lot. Very ingenious. And as I said, I too suck when it comes to posting pics. Yep, I'm a Luddite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I replaced the top of my nav station with something more robust (the original is still at home) and use that. Not much use for the nav station theses days.
One option I've come up with is to used detachable/snap apart hinges & overlay thin gauge sheet metal on top of a nav desk. Like say 1.5mm stainless sheet. Which makes for a decent, easy to clean, durable working surface for tools. Or as extra space for food prep, which is often invaluable.

At the same time I get the sheeting, I'll buy a sheet of drafting board matting that fits overtop of the new metal worktop. It allows me to still use the desk as a desk, & even for old school navigation. Yet I can easily roll up the matting & tuck it somewhere when it's time to use the nav desk as a work bench, or 2nd galley counter.
drafting table mats - Bing

Yep, it's an old idea, one from way back in my High School days. But it works, & my gig as a draftsman earned me enough to keep me happy at 16.
Besides, having a dual function working surface not only makes sense, it keeps both halves of the crew happy. Those with XX chromasomes, & XY ones as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:00   #14

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Well; My workshop goes over the galley sink. Here is how:
Work surface is a 2" x 6" PT lumber that overlaps the sink by a few inches on each side, left and right, for downward support.
To keep it from sliding back, a 1"x3" is secured across and under the work surface piece crosswise and rests against the backsplash wall by going over the sink's lip edge at the far end.
Yes, this tilts the work surface a bit towards me which is good. The front edge of this work surface rests firmly against the wood fiddle forward of the sink cabinet but in your case, it could just rest inside the sink itself to keep it from sliding front and back.
Then to keep it from sliding sideways, a 1"x2" is screwed under it to contact the insides of the sink on each side. And finally, small wedges are added to the far edges of the work surface to fill the gap between it and the sink edges to support it there.
A medium sized bench vise is clamped (get the clamping type) onto the 1"x 3" cross piece just past the work surface or to the work surface itself only when needed to use the vise. It may look sideways or backwards but works out fine. The clamping screw hangs inside the sink.
When working, all wood shavings, metal chips, etc. fall inside the sink and are easy to gather and the sink is just the right height for comfort with plenty of light overhead, near the open companionway and away from the sun and rain.
This workbench just lifts out from the sink to remove it and stows anywhere.
It's just a wide, short board with a cross stick making it look like a letter 'tee'.
Strong, practical and secure. Customize your own!. slowpoker
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 22:15   #15

Boat: Casacde 36

Attaboy! I have a bench of 2 pieces of 6x2, with a vice, that straddles the cockpit. But your fender board cum bench is a much better idea, thanks
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, enc