Hey guys. Here is my attempt at making a rudder
for my dads 25 foot trailer sailer. My dad snapped it off by reversing up the driveway with it down. The boat is 25 foot long and about 1500kg the keel
is 500kg on its own. The original rudder
was only 2.5 foot long (water depth) and with some weather helm
you would be sailing with it at 30 degrees which cant be good for speed or anything for that matter. So I added an extra foot to the new rudder. Obviously there are heaps of variables to how long the rudder should be but, surely 2.5 foot is way too small for a 25 foot 1500kg boat?
I realize this is going to make me look pretty clueless but thats OK
I have never used fiberglass
before, or micro balloons or epoxy
and in general just went at it to have a go. So please feel free to tell me all the things I done wrong so next time I can do em better. I sort of figured out a few things I done wrong all on my own anyway. Like glassing the whole rudder in one go! That ended up with a lot of wrinkled glass and way too much resin. I went and got a new orbital sander and that made short work of roughly smoothing it to get rid of the high spots even if I did sand through glass.
How much could I have expected a pro to build a rudder replacement for this?
My mate Wes and I done this over a few day and many beers. We started by screwing 2 pieces of 15mm marine
ply and cutting out the shape of the old rudder and added 1 foot to the length. We then undone the screws and epoxied the 2 pieces together,holding it together with screws again.
We removed the screws and power planed it to approximate the foil shape and finished the shaping it with my new electrical
orbital sander. The foil shape wont win any races as its just by eye. How important is this? This boat is an old clunker anyhow.
Nice work shed.
Nice work boots.
We then coated the whole lot in glass and epoxy
in a very unprofessional manner (many beers had been consumed by this stage). I drilled a larger hole than required for the pivot pin and filled that with micro spheres so that when the whole is re drilled no wood is exposed to keep water
out. I then sanded off the high spots and used west system micro spheres to fair it and sanded again. For the last few little imperfections I just used builders bog as I was sick of waiting 24 hours before I could sand the epoxy.
Nice work bench
Nice glassing job :P
Nothing a sander cant fix.. at least aesthetically. The glass is just for abrasion and water
protection anyway not strength.
Roughly foil shaped. I did try to make it even in the sanding
and planing stage by looking at the layers of ply as I removed material.
You can see the size difference.
Now its ready to undercoat and paint