Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2015, 08:52   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: DIY Man Hours to Sand and Paint a 36' Boat?

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but unless you're indoors, you can only paint (topsides, or racing finish bottoms) during certain times of the day. As the paint HAS to be dry by the time things start to cool off in the evening, when airborne moisture content goes up, & there's the possibility of condensation on surfaces.
If that happens before you're paint's cured, then at best it goes flat. At worst... well, let's just say that Tarzan would call it Bad Juju.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:10   #32

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but unless you're indoors, you can only paint (topsides, or racing finish bottoms) during certain times of the day. As the paint HAS to be dry by the time things start to cool off in the evening, when airborne moisture content goes up, & there's the possibility of condensation on surfaces.
If that happens before you're paint's cured, then at best it goes flat. At worst... well, let's just say that Tarzan would call it Bad Juju.
Yes the above is good knowledge. I find that two hours after sunrise and no later than two hours after High Noon to be the best window, when roll and tipping. too early and the paint will change consistency, causing some areas to be thicker than others and sags and runs are more likely, and too late, you'll have to thin too much with a brushing thinner to keep a wet edge. which will change the Finnish, dulling it. not to mention a color variation, even in white, but more evident in deeper colors. if at all possible position the boat stem or stern to the rising sun or be shaded by other boats on either side. direct sun will hamper your ability to keep a wet edge.

Old 14-07-2015, 16:33   #33

Boat: Cascade 36

The first coat of finish paint went on today. picture attached...

As far as my schedule goes I show up around 0730-0800 and setup. I'm sanding at 0815 and wiping down after that. The paint is going on around 1000 and I'm packed up and done by 1200.

Started on Sunday with a first primer coat. Did a second primer yesterday. First finish coat was rolled and tipped today and a second will be done tomorrow. Thursday morning I'll decide whether or not to do a third coat.

I'm using Pettit Easypoxy (yes its single part...) in the Sandtone variety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150714_114659.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	105355  
Old 14-07-2015, 18:25   #34

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

A thorough sanding and another topcoat will bring up the gloss.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
The first coat of finish paint went on today. picture attached...

As far as my schedule goes I show up around 0730-0800 and setup. I'm sanding at 0815 and wiping down after that. The paint is going on around 1000 and I'm packed up and done by 1200.

Started on Sunday with a first primer coat. Did a second primer yesterday. First finish coat was rolled and tipped today and a second will be done tomorrow. Thursday morning I'll decide whether or not to do a third coat.

I'm using Pettit Easypoxy (yes its single part...) in the Sandtone variety.
Kool man. sounds like ye gettin' everythin' ya want. pic looks good. eazypoxy does a good job for the cost. I like it.
Old 14-07-2015, 19:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Kool man. sounds like ye gettin' everythin' ya want. pic looks good. eazypoxy does a good job for the cost. I like it.
The cost is a factor but the basic ease of use is also what I was looking for. Having never done a boat hull before I didn't want to screw up the ratio-mixing part of the two part stuff and then slap it on the hull not knowing that is was jacked up already. I figure using a one-part is biting off a little less of a project overall.

So far I'm pretty happy with the easypoxy. I do kinda notice the "seems" that occur around every 8' where I have to stop painting for a moment and move my work platform. I'm not sure how to prevent that but overall I'm pretty happy for a first effort.
Old 15-07-2015, 06:45   #37

Quote:
The cost is a factor but the basic ease of use is also what I was looking for. Having never done a boat hull before I didn't want to screw up the ratio-mixing part of the two part stuff and then slap it on the hull not knowing that is was jacked up already. I figure using a one-part is biting off a little less of a project overall.

So far I'm pretty happy with the easypoxy. I do kinda notice the "seems" that occur around every 8' where I have to stop painting for a moment and move my work platform. I'm not sure how to prevent that but overall I'm pretty happy for a first effort.
I've done a lot of boats with easypoxy and I just ran in to one of them this week in the harbor here. five years and she still looks great.

As far as loosing the wet edge? it's best to set up the path way for the whole length of the hull. you can put a tape line at the stem and the edge of the transom. the time slot in the day your using is good and you should have plenty of time to get fresh batches of paint. clean or change your brush often and your Finnish will stay smooth. on average, if your mix is right you'll get about 45 to 90 seconds on the wet edge. which is a long time really, but not long enough to move scaffold on solo. unless its a rolling backers scaffold on say a plywood pathway.

your eye is more critical....ie...Your boat your craftsmanship. The average observer will see a great job and if they are looking to be critical? that would be their own insecurities. You are going about this the right way. your craftsmanship will grow and others will be asking your advice. You'll get to feel the joy of helping someone else. there is nothing like that feeling.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
Old 15-07-2015, 08:56   #38

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
...I do kinda notice the "seems" that occur around every 8' where I have to stop painting for a moment and move my work platform. I'm not sure how to prevent that...
The way to prevent that is by first erecting scaffolds the full length of the boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:46   #39

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to plan how much time I will need for my next haul out. My main goals for the haul out are bottom paint and topside paint on the hull only (not doing the deck or cabin top during haul out) and there are secondary goals as well. The kicker is that I plan to this work all by myself but I've never done it so I don't have a great idea as far time required.

So the basic question for now is this. After the major "prep work" is done how many hours does it generally take one guy to light sand, wipe down, and then roll one coat of primer or topside paint on a 36" boat. Not worried about tipping the paint right now.

The overall plan is to tackle the topsides first. Hoping to do 2 coats of primer and 3 of paint. Might have to cut one of those coats though as I can't stay in the yard forever. After the topsides I have 2 gallons of bottom paint to apply. I figure bottom will probably be a one day or day and half thing with 80 grit sanding prep.

Any thoughts?
90hours
Old 29-10-2015, 18:26   #40

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Actually an old thread but I will add my .02.

I see no pictures. This thread requires them.....

We did our entire boat with Rustoleum just over a year ago. Funny that the primer cost more than the paint. I recall toward the end it felt as if it took we had been working on it since the dawn of time and we knew we skimped on some steps.

Semigloss and Kiwi topside.
We used a small trim roller on the gloss freeboard paint. We redid the boot and pin stripes with the Navy, very happy with the look of the stripes. A good 30ft paint job.

Looking back 1 day cleaning and taping, 2 days priming and sanding, 5 days painting. This is with 2 people. So 16 8 hour work days for a 30ft boat. 8 weekends consumed over 3 months. Ughhhh..

GARBONE!!! We are neighbors!!

I just bought the 32 Endeavour 2 slips down in your picture. There she is.

I remember seeing you there one weekend.
Old 29-10-2015, 19:38   #41

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

every one here is making good points. id recommend driscols mission bay, have them put you in the back, its going to take longer than you plan for, such is the nature of boats. for another reference, im 300hrs into the paint prep on my 42' cutter build with no end in sight. but at least i dont need a gym membership anymore...
Old 29-10-2015, 20:26   #42

Hey all, the job is done.

The boat is back in the water.

Thanks again to all that provided useful info.
Old 29-10-2015, 20:29   #43

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

well, what were the numbers?
Old 29-10-2015, 20:56   #44

Post #33 is the final answer to the original question.

Over all the boat was out of the water for 9 lay days.

Did a few hours on the haulout day.
Days 1 and 2 were 10-12 hour days of prep time. Lots of sanding and taking care of most of the big dings. Finished day two with the first coat of primer.
Days 3, 4, and 5 are what was described on post #33.
Day 6 was spent working on redoing the seam/seal around most of the keel and placing a new speed/temp/depth thru hull. 4-5 hours
Day 7 was mostly sanding/prepping the bottom for bottom paint. 4-5 hours
Day 8 was finishing the bottom paint prep and laying a first coat.
Day 9 was laying a second coat early and coming back 8 hours later to lay what was left of the 2nd gallon
Day 10 was back in the water and back to the mooring.

Days 3-7 were short days by design as I still had to work the day job.

Attached are pics of just after haulout and pressure wash and a more or less finished job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haul out trailer.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	111844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150719_101502.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	111845  

Tags
paint