Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2011, 16:42   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter
DIY Boatyard in NSW Australia

Looking for some advise on cheap yards in NSW (between Gold Coast and Sydney). Especially yards that allow steel work- welding and blasting.
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 14:05   #2

Re: DIY Boatyard in NSW Australia

We have been sailing on in Australia for the past two years, and have been shocked by the prices for haul-out. It is more expensive here to be on the hard than to have a slip (pen) in a marina. Our first haul-out on arrival was at Port Bundaberg; the daily fee for being on the hard (in the DIY section) was something like AU$50-60 per day. Ouch. Our second year haul-out was in Victoria - at Yaringa Boat Harbour on Western Port Bay; their yard fees were 'reasonable' at AU$700 per 3 months, however, I believe their prices have gone up since last year. They do allow welding and blasting, although the yard is miles away from civilization. But the liveaboard community there is great at providing rides to town for provisioning.

We are currently in Pittwater, off Broken Bay north of Sydney. The yard we rent our mooring from (Lovett Bay Boat Shed) has informed us that New South Wales is implementing new OSHA-type restrictions in 2012 which will make DIY almost, if not impossible - things like having to wear a harness while on scaffolding; the scaffolding must have back-rail supports, etc. Many of the smaller haul-out facilities in NSW will be closing if these regulations are enforced - they won't be able to take the financial steps necessary to comply.

If you make it to Tasmania, there is an excellent cheap DIY yard on the Huon River at Port Huon called Kermandie Marina (email Tommo at kermandie@kermandie.com.au).

Good luck in your search.

Katherine
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 14:44   #3

Boat: Custom

I don't know the details but in Lemon Tree Passage, I think a place called Oyster Cove in NSW is a place that seems to have a lot of long term cruisers on the hard?

Don't know rates but looks like it should be cheap?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 15:19   #4

Boat: Able 50

Lake Macquarie YC owns a DIY slipway. Try them. I've used their slipway and marina and recommend both.

Marina & Slipway
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 00:24   #5

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage

Don't know about "cheap", but River Quays Marina in Sydney Harbour has a travelift and also are the only ones to allow DIY in the harbour.
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 03:48   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

If your in Bundaberg give the Bundaberg slipway in North Bundaberg a try, I was tied up on their slipway for a week while repairing my Cat with a broken driveshaft, Including towing my cat down the river and hauling it out and sitting on the slipway and then towing it out and mooring it up the river cost me just under a grand, I was live aboard the whole time as well.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boatyards