Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 18:03   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Dinghy paint

I am just completing construction of a Chameleon nesting dinghy and need to plan the painting step. I looked at the instructions for both Perfection and Brightside from Interlux and they are both listed as being for above the waterline use. I don't really want to get into antifouling the bottom since the boat will not be in the water continuously. Will it be OK to use one of the Interlux paints on a boat that may be in the water for 12 to 16 hours at a time? If not, who makes a suitable paint?
Old 10-10-2015, 19:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Dinghy paint

You shouldn't have a problem with that. I built a little plywood skiff last year. It's painted with Perfection. It's spent many long days in the water. No problems with the paint.
I'd love to see some pictures of your project.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:33   #3

Boat: One off steel sloop 38 ft

What HopCar said. And yes: Post pictures! I have the plans for the Chameleon for two years now. Hope to get around using them this winter. Would love to see your build!
Walter
Boatwayupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Will post when done. The plans are fine, but the instructions could be improved. In places steps are left out or in the wrong order. We have the two halves apart and are working on getting the hull smooth enough to finish. beyond that we need to finish the sailing rig - build the mast and sprit, daggerboard, rudder, etc.

Tags
dinghy, paint