Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2015, 18:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize 43
Re: Different Shades of White

Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
How do you explain that the square that is moved is not the same as the dark square between the center and the one the lady puts it on. That shows me that there are more colors of squares than just two.
That's the key to the illusion. The shadow line falls exactly across the corner between these two "dark" squares. You don't notice that the lower one really is darker because your brain is telling you that the difference between them is just caused by the shadow. Similarly, the "light" tile which is not in shadow, is lighter than the one in shadow - in fact it is not even the same color all over, it is lighter at the top than at the bottom.

StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 20:56   #17

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

It would depend on the trim colors. But going with an off white to the side of yellow, it won't oxidize as fast. the darker the slower the oxidization, but with less heat reflection. Don't go high gloss. adding flattening agent will shorten the longevity of the paint. For the cost Eazypoxi off white is a good choice. if it is darker than you like buy eazypoxi white too and mix them to the desired tent. I've painted many decks with it and have gotten as many as 6 years before traffic wear is shown on boats that sailed frequently that were home ported in south florida. clean and wax it with a good teflon wax after two or three weeks. of course if you use gelcoat you can get 15 to 25 years with minimum maintenance and yu don't have to pain whole areas of deck when repairs are needed. and make any color you want. it cost a little more and is slightly more labor. but pays for itself in 5 years and after 15 you have more than triple the savings, with way less maintenance.

tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 18:41   #18

Boat: Columbia Mark II 29'

If you really want to add something to the mix(pun intended) there are many shades of gray, too. (oops, allusion). Then try buying a color on line from a color chart, i.e., Brightside. Trial and error. See if anyone around has some old paint in their dock boxes/garages that are still around and available.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 01:38   #19
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The really white whites like "snow white" can be glaring on the eyes.
Personally, I like a white with a bit of blue grey in it like "Matterhorn White" for that reason.

At the bottom of this link on color cards, you can download a PDF file on color values to create on a Paint program
Pelagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 06:24   #20

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Here's a link to James Baldwin's (Atom Voyages) site. Nice topside paint job:

Atom Voyages - Triton #503 Refit Part 2
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 06:59   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
What's the thought process about deciding what shade of white paint to choose?

Is one shade of white "too bright" and a hassle to keep clean?
Is one shade give a glare on a sunny day?

This might be a silly questions, I just don't want to be the guy that buys the "paint that everyone knows is terrible." haha

Thanks in advance.

This is a great question for our resident guru minaret... He's got some pretty pics in his thread too... like eye popping professional... Or simply magic... I haven't decided...

Nauticat 52 Refit
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 07:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I went through this self-debate when I first painted my boat. I wanted the UV resistance and heat protection of a light color, but I also considered the light reflection into my eyes. The issues of dirt, wear and tear, and boringness also came to mind. I finally decided on a very light beige off white (Sterling Cloud White) and a beige/light yellow for the deck and cabintop nonskid areas. That was forty years ago, when linear polyurethane just came out. I am now in the process of painting the boat for the third time in forty years. Fortunately, I was able to score enough paint and hardener, because Sterling has now gone out of production, that I'll get this iteration complete. If I live long enough to have to consider another color, I guess I'll shift to an Awl Grip or something custom by Pro-Line, a local paint company. Color does a lot for a boat. In my case, it has been all good. Easy to live with, pleasing to view, and durable enough to allow me to spend my maintenance time on plenty of other projects. I pity the folks with dark colors, though. Though flashy, a dark blue, green, red or black hull can be a nightmare. Especially if you don't have a perfectly faired hull, or if you have to make a repair from where you get scraped or bashed. The lighter colors just disappear, but leave behind a smile......

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: