Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 10:57   #31

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Re: Diesel: water not coming out the exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Like terra nova suggests, check each section of the seawater path. But your clog is likely in the mixing elbow.
Looks like there's a clog in the mixing elbow. Do I need to remove it or could I use a wire or something to poke the clog open?
Old 28-02-2017, 11:00   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You should remove it and have the local radiator shop hot tank and inspect it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 11:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
Looks like there's a clog in the mixing elbow. Do I need to remove it or could I use a wire or something to poke the clog open?
The problem with "just poking" is that it may not open the passage wide enough to its original width. If the elbow looks like it still has life left in it, which they seldom do if they get to such a clog, one can take it off and soak it in the acid bath or some such. But by that point, if you successfully taken the elbow off, you are better off putting a new one in and keeping the old one as an emergency spare (if it is usable and you have the room for it). That's exactly what I did on one of my boats. On one of the others the elbow literally crumbled in my hands as I was attempting to take it off. At about $130-150 apiece there is no good reason to try to poke the gunk out of the old one. What is a good practice is to investigate if the build up was gradual over many years (normal) or more sudden over a short period of time (not normal and usually a sign of too hot running engine and the salt water evaporating too quickly). In my 1st case it was sudden as the coolant was of incorrect mixture but I still replaced the elbow as it looked original i.e. 30+ years old. In the 2nd case it was definitely gradual as the engine runs at ideal temp range.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, water