Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2006, 04:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Plastic Fuel Tanks

I’m not aware of any Diesel Fuel Tanks, commercially manufactured from either CPVC nor PVC.

I believe most Plastic Fuel Tanks are manufactured from Cross-Linked High Density Polyethylene (HDPE - XL) plastics. All plastics are permeable to fuels, although several proprietary products* are being developed to meet the new Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission limits.
* ie: Fluorinated (polytetrafluoroethylene) HDPE polymers

Some general Fuel Tank guidance is available, online at:

“Fuel Systems” from Transport Canada - “Construction Standards for Small Vessels” - TP 1332 - Section 7.0 - TP 1332 E
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/TP/TP1332/section7.htm

and

“Can You- Should You- Build Your Own Fiberglass Tanks?”
by Ken Hankinson in Practical Sailor
http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...glasstanks.pdf

Notwithstanding the following chemical compatability opinion*, I’ve read that PVC is NOT recommended for use with Diesel Fuel (sorry cannot recall the reference).
* From the “Cole-Parmer: Chemical Resistance Database” at:
http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp
The Materials Selected: CPVC & PVC - Interacting with the Chemical: Diesel Fuel - Have a Compatibility Level of: A-Excellent (both)

DELMAREY: Your link locks up my computer, could you post the url?

HTH,
Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 05:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
This is good to know Gord. I have not seen PVC used myself. At a minimum I will need to replace the PVC ports.
Old 15-01-2006, 09:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have not noticed anything about the use of epoxy for diesel fuel tanks. WEST system epoxy would be my first choice of material for the modifications I would be making.
Old 15-01-2006, 12:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because:
Every fuel tank shall have permanently affixed to it a label showing as a minimum:
(a) type of fuel or fuels for which the tank is suitable;
(b) the manufacturer’s name, or logo, and address;
(c) the month and the year of manufacture, or the lot number and year of manufacture;
(d) its capacity in litres (and optionally in gallons); and
(e) a statement that the tank meets the requirements of the Construction Standards for Small Vessels – TP1332 or an equivalent standard to TP1332, e.g. United States Government; CFR33 183.510 (a).

An unlabeled (or non-compliant) Fuel Tank could void you insurance, if discovered after a claim.

Old 15-01-2006, 13:16   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My existing aluminum tanks are made out of 3/16 (or thicker)aluminum plate. They were built by Ron, the original buyer/builder of my boat. So you are saying my boat may not be insured.....
I have been in the tanks and they are well made. Ron was a mold maker when he built the boat. He knew what he was doing with evey part that he made. He did not build the hot tub water tank though.
Old 15-01-2006, 13:30   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
West epoxy tanks

There is a Gougeon bros. document on the construction of tanks (including fuel tanks) here:-
http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/18/pdf/tanks.pdf
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:39   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you Chris and Gord. The links give me hope that this is a realistic use for this extra tank. Diesel does not seem to be all that much of a problem for fiberglass tanks.
Old 15-01-2006, 13:40   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Who you are and what you are doesn't instantly create a certificate. Governments and it's sub-organizations (banks, insurance, city/state gov. ect.) want to see documentation. Proof of what one says it is. And the safety and responsibility for such items.

We who work in these offices learn how fast something can be put on hold or rejected without the proper documents......................_/(
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The tank issue must not have been much of a problem for the bank in 1994. My boat had a $425,000.00 loan on it then.
Old 15-01-2006, 13:43   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gunner:
Your Insurer may be more interested in denying a claim, than in determining the actual quality of the tank installation - maybe not ...
I wouldn’t want to slander the Insurance Industry with unwarranted aspersions.

Old 15-01-2006, 13:45   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gord it is good to be aware that there could be a problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Getting this information is why I posted the question.
Old 15-01-2006, 15:45   #27

Gunner,
Thoes ports at the bottom must be sealed to comply with current standards.
Both My Cheoy and Invitations were built with FRP tanks in the keel. The only problems I've heard from them were people blocking the boat incorectly and cracking the tank.
I do see problems in the future with the addition of Biodiesel to our oil supply chain. I don't see problems using BioDiesel in mixtures less than B20, or 20% Bio. PCV and CPVC will not tolerate Bio. the natural rubber hoses that proliferate your fuel system will not either.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 16:06   #28
Kai Nui

Gunner, you asked earlier about your insurance status relative to uncertified tanks. Bottom line is your insurance should be fine if you have a claim unrelated to the tanks, however, if, for instance, the new tank, or any of the others were to leak, and cause damage to the boat that would normally be covered under your policy, this would be a reason for the insurance company to deny coverage. (depending on your policy) Some policies would cover the damage caused by the leakage, but not replacement of the tank. It just depends how the policy is written. The existing tanks should also not be an issue if an accredited surveyor gave them a clean bill of health, but unless you can get the surveyor to add this new tank to the survey, and state that it is compliant, you could have an issue.
Since three of us have expressed a concern over the bio diesel, it brings to mind a question for Pat or GORD, will the bladder tanks hold up to bio diesel?, and, Pat, you mentioned the fuel lines. I know this was an issue when California came out with low sulphur fuel, on some of the older trucks. What material should the fuel lines consist of for use of bio diesel?
Old 15-01-2006, 16:57   #29

Scott,
Heres a link to the FAQ's on bio
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/f...yths_Facts.pdf
From what I've read, Viton is the idea hose. I've used B100 here and in about 200 gal my natural rubber Goodyear hose started to weep. I'm using a PVC blemd with webing for my fuel transfer now.

Also the http://forums.biodieselnow.com/
is a good source of info.
Yanmar does not yet recognize Bio as a fuel.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 17:17   #30
Kai Nui

Well, I guess I won't be using bio diesel for the time being. I wouldn't want to hurt my new toy I know in time, alternatives such as bio diesel will be the only choice, but for now, I would rather save the dollar per gallon anyway. I just want to be prepared when the fuel changes, so I won't have to modify things then. Since I have to purchase all my lines now anyway I figure I will get what I will need. Maybe I need food quality lines
Gunner, FWIW, a friend off mine has fiberglass tanks built into his Spray, and they have not been a problem yet.

Tags
diesel