Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 07:17   #1

Boat: Tartan 30
Diesel Fuel Tank & Sending Unit

I'm looking for some advice for what to do with my fuel tank.

The gauge reads "Empty", although the tank is nearly full. Despite being pretty handy otherwise, I'm nobody's hero with wires and such. A circuit tester touched to both nodes on the gauge lit up, so I'm inclined to believe that it works. Or, at least, it would work if not for the...

Sending unit...which is shrouded by the little 3-sided wooden box behind the gauge in this photo:

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-gKQHRnlk2QU%2FUwN6Ofz0d-I%2FAAAAAAAAArw%2FrxYZ5Lw12y0%2Fs1600%2FIMG_5154.J PG&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F *[/IMG]

The same circuit tester didn't produce any positive indications when touched to the nodes on the sending unit, so I think it is toast.

1) Is this test definitive proof that I have a faulty sending unit, and not just a sticky mechanism? I figure that I'll have to pull the sending unit, verify its type, and order a replacement. Which will then lead to the replacement process, and associated down-time so...

2) What's the deal with this cute little box-corral? Is this a common feature on fuel tanks, or the PO's brain-fart? What is the yellowish goop around the sending unit, gauge, and elsewhere? Is it baby-poop, or just made to look like baby-poop so's nobody will touch it?

3) In looking at the tank and the space it uses, it occurred to me that I could have about twice the fuel storage in that same space, if I wanted to upsize the tankage. It's a 16.5gal tank, and the Betamarine engine uses about-or-less than 5 gallon per day, motoring hard. The tank, aside from the gauge problem, doesn't give me any grief. But, I'd rather have 10-15 more gallons storage here, than 2-3 jerry cans on the deck. Any thoughts or advice on replacing the whole tank?

4) I know the supply line needs 2nd clamp. It's on the list.

Preview doesn't show pic, so if it doesn't post properly, I'll tweak it and try again.
Flem.S.Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 07:41   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
You will need to remove and ohms test the sending unit that is installed in the tank. If it is working your ranges will be 10 to 180 ohms for an american version and 240 to 30 ohms for a European version, empty to full. If you don't get proper readings from you sending unit, it will need replacing.

If you do get proper readings then you have a faulty guage, faulty power source or a broken circuit in the system. Keep us posted if you got another question.
Old 18-02-2014, 08:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Diesel Fuel Tank & Sending Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
I'm looking for some advice for what to do with my fuel tank.

The gauge reads "Empty", although the tank is nearly full. Despite being pretty handy otherwise, I'm nobody's hero with wires and such. A circuit tester touched to both nodes on the gauge lit up, so I'm inclined to believe that it works. Or, at least, it would work if not for the...

Sending unit...which is shrouded by the little 3-sided wooden box behind the gauge in this photo:

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-gKQHRnlk2QU%2FUwN6Ofz0d-I%2FAAAAAAAAArw%2FrxYZ5Lw12y0%2Fs1600%2FIMG_5154.J PG&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F *[/IMG]

The same circuit tester didn't produce any positive indications when touched to the nodes on the sending unit, so I think it is toast.

1) Is this test definitive proof that I have a faulty sending unit, and not just a sticky mechanism? I figure that I'll have to pull the sending unit, verify its type, and order a replacement. Which will then lead to the replacement process, and associated down-time so...

2) What's the deal with this cute little box-corral? Is this a common feature on fuel tanks, or the PO's brain-fart? What is the yellowish goop around the sending unit, gauge, and elsewhere? Is it baby-poop, or just made to look like baby-poop so's nobody will touch it?

3) In looking at the tank and the space it uses, it occurred to me that I could have about twice the fuel storage in that same space, if I wanted to upsize the tankage. It's a 16.5gal tank, and the Betamarine engine uses about-or-less than 5 gallon per day, motoring hard. The tank, aside from the gauge problem, doesn't give me any grief. But, I'd rather have 10-15 more gallons storage here, than 2-3 jerry cans on the deck. Any thoughts or advice on replacing the whole tank?

4) I know the supply line needs 2nd clamp. It's on the list.

Preview doesn't show pic, so if it doesn't post properly, I'll tweak it and try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
You will need to remove and ohms test the sending unit that is installed in the tank. If it is working your ranges will be 10 to 180 ohms for an american version and 240 to 30 ohms for a European version, empty to full. If you don't get proper readings from you sending unit, it will need replacing.

If you do get proper readings then you have a faulty guage, faulty power source or a broken circuit in the system. Keep us posted if you got another question.
Jeezuhs Flem!

You hit the mason jar before you posted the pic link??? I tried every combination of cut and browser paste to no avail.... Not up on my code writing skillz either...

Pull the sender and test as Fiveslide says... It will usually be your problem...

Without seeing the picture, I would have to assume you are spot on with the baby poop determination...

Quit foolin' around and get a proper tank... Mine is 45gal in the 33'... You said you had space... I'd go PE, there was a nice SS tank on CF for trade/cheap a bit ago... 30gal? I'll poke around...

New tank... New sender... = New FlemRide...

What do you think the best dimensions for a tank would be??? I'll help ya look for a bargain....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:21   #4

Trying pic link again. Holding mason jar differently...

poof
Old 18-02-2014, 08:22   #5

Ratfartz.
Old 18-02-2014, 08:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ratfartz.

HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Sounded like a Caddyshack-izm....

Old 18-02-2014, 08:25   #7

Resizing...one more try...

Old 18-02-2014, 08:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Advanced button....

Manage attachments....

Upload/browse.....

Upload... close box

preview if you wanna...

submit...

Motivation....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	still 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	76380  

Old 18-02-2014, 08:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Advanced button....

Manage attachments....

Upload/browse.....

Upload... close box

preview if you wanna...

submit...

Motivation....
Awesome... Your skillz have rubbed off on me... my pic didn't post... we can't be friends any more... sorry...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	still 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	76381  

Old 18-02-2014, 08:45   #10

Very strange. I seen your'n. THAT was a nice fuel tank, indeed. Maybe the picture police are hounding us?
Old 18-02-2014, 08:45   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

motivation dadgummit!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	florida still.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	76382  

Old 18-02-2014, 08:47   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very strange. I seen your'n. THAT was a nice fuel tank, indeed. Maybe the picture police are hounding us?
Guess so Flem.... I sent another tank pic too....

We'll get this straightened out!!!

Meanwhile... I gotta get out to the shop... back in a bit bud!

Old 18-02-2014, 09:08   #13

Tank gauges are notoriously bad units, not only do they always seem to broke somewhere, but they are not accurate anyway due to the many tank shapes. On my last boat I just put a "sender" in that read on top of the tank ( a little gauge under a glass dial) no wires, no electricity, direct reading.
Those plastic fuel tanks as you have there are not expensive, maybe you can find a standard one to fill that whole space and have more tankage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 10:19   #14

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Tank gauges are notoriously bad units, not only do they always seem to broke somewhere, but they are not accurate anyway due to the many tank shapes.
I think an updated system, with proper terminal crimping, corrosion protection and water proofing should give years, possibly decades, of proper functionality. Fuel guages on cars don't notoriously break and we are talking about the same technology.

Perhaps the lack of constant up and down of a sending unit, when boats sit idle and only sip fuel when in use, actually shortens the life of a sending unit?
Old 18-02-2014, 11:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I think an updated system, with proper terminal crimping, corrosion protection and water proofing should give years, possibly decades, of proper functionality. Fuel guages on cars don't notoriously break and we are talking about the same technology.

Perhaps the lack of constant up and down of a sending unit, when boats sit idle and only sip fuel when in use, actually shortens the life of a sending unit?
The key word being "should"! :>) That sentence could apply to all boat systems and yet....
Yeah,it is frustrating. I think your thought has merit... the sender bounces up and down probably millions of times.... as well as the corrosion issues. Many boat tanks are not rectangles either....so hard to get the float to be accurate.
IMHO... nothing better than a screw in dipstik for diesel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank