Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 11:23   #31

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Diesel Fuel Tank & Sending Unit

Well, the class happened, but the electrical analysis part did not. So, I still don't know whether the sending unit is good, bad, or indifferent.

I did measure the space where the existing tank sits, though. It's 2.95' wide on the near end, and 2.0' at the back, and 3.7' long. According to Moeller Marine website, that space could accommodate their 30, 32, 34, 35 and 50-gallon fuel tanks. Hmmm.

Still haven't found someone narrow enough to fit in that lazarette...it's about 14" a side.
Flem.S.Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 15:10   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
Well, the class happened, but the electrical analysis part did not. So, I still don't know whether the sending unit is good, bad, or indifferent.

I did measure the space where the existing tank sits, though. It's 2.95' wide on the near end, and 2.0' at the back, and 3.7' long. According to Moeller Marine website, that space could accommodate their 30, 32, 34, 35 and 50-gallon fuel tanks. Hmmm.

Still haven't found someone narrow enough to fit in that lazarette...it's about 14" a side.
Jayzuz....

Don't you have enough time to check in once in a while??? I was monitoring for PLB signals and everything....

If you're going to save dough and not do a tank, proceed with yer diagnosis... If not... you're wasting time unless you have a learning itch... If you put that old sender in a new tank Imma shoot you... Just take the thing out and check for resistance change moving the dang float...

What's your H space on the tank? Do you have a flat surface to mount on?

It sounds like I would almost fit into your lazarette... Until I got to my waist...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

Don't you have enough time to check in once in a while?...If you're going to save dough and not do a tank, proceed with yer diagnosis... If not... you're wasting time unless you have a learning itch... If you put that old sender in a new tank Imma shoot you... Just take the thing out and check for resistance change moving the dang float...
Limited comms in marina, busybusybusy, classes, measuring stuff, cooking first meal aboard and learning finer points of denatured alcohol transfer, and busybusybusy. And yes, learning more about my systems and saving dollars are both high on the priorities list.

Quote:

What's your H space on the tank? Do you have a flat surface to mount on?...
If by "H space", you mean depth, that's a significant variable. And here, it'd be beneficial if you could see the photo. I can see my pic and the two you posted, so you must have made the innertube gods angry. The tank currently sits in the D-shaped sole next to the quarter-berth, and has a rectangular cross-section. Those from Moeller have D-shaped cross-sections (which suggest they'd sit better in the sole), and vary from just under 9" to nearly 18".

Quote:
It sounds like I would almost fit into your lazarette... Until I got to my waist...
I could get in up to my chest, and maybe even contort my shoulders enough to wedge them in. But then, the gettin'-in part is not really the most troubling part of the equation.

Heading out again for the five hour drive to boat. Shall dutifully report forthwith.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Limited comms in marina, busybusybusy, classes, measuring stuff, cooking first meal aboard and learning finer points of denatured alcohol transfer, and busybusybusy. And yes, learning more about my systems and saving dollars are both high on the priorities list.

Back out at the boat with the comms issue??? I finally caught up here after flitting around a day or two on other very less important threads... Denatured alcohol??? Stove??? Careful with those bud... BUT.... You have plenty of experience with heat and alcohol fumes where I'll leave it at that!

If by "H space", you mean depth, that's a significant variable. And here, it'd be beneficial if you could see the photo. I can see my pic and the two you posted, so you must have made the innertube gods angry. The tank currently sits in the D-shaped sole next to the quarter-berth, and has a rectangular cross-section. Those from Moeller have D-shaped cross-sections (which suggest they'd sit better in the sole), and vary from just under 9" to nearly 18".

I FINALLY saw your pics, (firefox issue) and am a bit concerned... Well... A LOT CONCERNED... Why your current tank is hanging out nekid inside a "living space" instead of a dedicated machinery or storage spot??? Surely the original build didn't leave it sitting there??? Do you not have a spot where you can relocate it??? I suppose at the very least, throwing it against a bulkhead and fabbing a "cover/box" for it would do...

I could get in up to my chest, and maybe even contort my shoulders enough to wedge them in. But then, the gettin'-in part is not really the most troubling part of the equation.

I know... Maneuvers like this should only be attempted by an experienced spelunking team with feed lines and communication gear...

Heading out again for the five hour drive to boat. Shall dutifully report forthwith.
So the $64 question is... Are we going to plunk out $250+/-ish and retank??? Or work with what we got and fix sender issues???

Also.... Nothing wrong with adding a second tank that you could wedge in somewhere, and plumb them together...

Hopefully you're enjoying the weekend out there!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:25   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New thought....

It dawned on me while posting on another tank thread.... Why not fab a new tank out of glass??? You could make it the exact size and configuration to fit perfectly somewhere....

Minaret will hold our hands and provide the occasional smacks on the back of the head.... while we do our best to eff it all up.....

Old 03-03-2014, 12:59   #36

Quote:
New thought....

It dawned on me while posting on another tank thread.... Why not fab a new tank out of glass??? You could make it the exact size and configuration to fit perfectly somewhere....

Minaret will hold our hands and provide the occasional smacks on the back of the head.... while we do our best to eff it all up.....
I think the old tank was actually between the cockpit cooler access and that offending lazarette, and had sprung a leak or something to necessitate the plastic alternative. It'd be nice to seal the old tank and be able to use it where it was, and get the 50-gallon tank to store the... bio-diesel.

Speaking of the laz, I willed myself to exponentially increase my own metabolism, and lost 40lbs in three days...squeezed into the lazarette, and monkey-wrenched the cable back onto the pulleys and tightened everything back down firm. Then, I reversed the metabolic process to get back to fighting weight before any real trouble set in.

Radar dome in place also, but remains unconnected...And alas, still no tank work accomplished.
Old 03-03-2014, 13:53   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think the old tank was actually between the cockpit cooler access and that offending lazarette, and had sprung a leak or something to necessitate the plastic alternative. It'd be nice to seal the old tank and be able to use it where it was, and get the 50-gallon tank to store the... bio-diesel.

Speaking of the laz, I willed myself to exponentially increase my own metabolism, and lost 40lbs in three days...squeezed into the lazarette, and monkey-wrenched the cable back onto the pulleys and tightened everything back down firm. Then, I reversed the metabolic process to get back to fighting weight before any real trouble set in.

Radar dome in place also, but remains unconnected...And alas, still no tank work accomplished.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Remove old tank and increase cockpit cooler to ridiculous capacity....

What was the old tank made of??? Maybe you can seal it up, or glass it in...

Great job on the body transformation exercises ... Now that the steering and radar have been tackled... I see the only work that you will need help with is "beverage accounting"

Old 04-03-2014, 14:07   #38

To be clear, the radar isn't yet fully installed. The dome is mounted on the mast, and the cable is running inside the mast to the saloon, but hanging loose until I get the seatalkHS network switch and get it installed.

I made out like a bandit on the cost of climbing and mounting, 'cause the job was a beatdown saga of epic proportions.

The PO, or some distant PPO, had had the bright idea to fill the mast with foam, ostensibly to deaden the sounds of slapping internal wires (halyards run outside). But, did he use such foam as would be of a consistent density and resistance, like blown insulation in your attic, and such that some later owner might force/bore a fish-tape through?

Oh, noooooooo...

This brainiac used cut up pieces of couch cushion (or similar?), secured to those internal wires by occasional wraps of electrical tape, and apparently tugged into position by those very wires...and wedged haphazardly into near-permanent position. I say near-permanent, because my guy was actually able to rip a couple of them out from the newly drilled radar cable ingress hole using his bilge grabbers. After much cussing, we finally opted to cut my VHF coax cable in the saloon and use it to drag a tether and the radar cable itself.

I'll have another adventure when I actually power up the radar, because when he marked the holes for the mounting bracket, he didn't take the 2 minutes to double-check its alignment relative to the centerline of the boat before drilling the holes. That means, you guessed it, my radar points off at about 6-8 degrees off the bow. At least it veers to the right. I'll call it my Rush Limbaugh radar.

I told my guy that it wouldn't fit my boat if it was on straight.

Do you really think that I'll ever get drunk enough to consider exploratory surgery on that old fuel tank?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:32   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To be clear, the radar isn't yet fully installed. The dome is mounted on the mast, and the cable is running inside the mast to the saloon, but hanging loose until I get the seatalkHS network switch and get it installed.

I made out like a bandit on the cost of climbing and mounting, 'cause the job was a beatdown saga of epic proportions.

The PO, or some distant PPO, had had the bright idea to fill the mast with foam, ostensibly to deaden the sounds of slapping internal wires (halyards run outside). But, did he use such foam as would be of a consistent density and resistance, like blown insulation in your attic, and such that some later owner might force/bore a fish-tape through?

Oh, noooooooo...

This brainiac used cut up pieces of couch cushion (or similar?), secured to those internal wires by occasional wraps of electrical tape, and apparently tugged into position by those very wires...and wedged haphazardly into near-permanent position. I say near-permanent, because my guy was actually able to rip a couple of them out from the newly drilled radar cable ingress hole using his bilge grabbers. After much cussing, we finally opted to cut my VHF coax cable in the saloon and use it to drag a tether and the radar cable itself.

HOLY Clustereffarama Batman!!!
Maybe you should have trucked your butt up to NY and bought that whole rig from the listing I sent you.... My first question to the seller...? "Is the mast filled with any sound deadening foam?"

I'll have another adventure when I actually power up the radar, because when he marked the holes for the mounting bracket, he didn't take the 2 minutes to double-check its alignment relative to the centerline of the boat before drilling the holes. That means, you guessed it, my radar points off at about 6-8 degrees off the bow. At least it veers to the right. I'll call it my Rush Limbaugh radar.

HA!!! Ok... Ya got me with the Rushdar! You may be OK, as there are usually a bazzilion setting adjustments for the display... look in your manual for "relative bearing adjustment" ... YOU NEED to correct it electronically, or physically... LAST thing you need is doubt when you need to make a critical course change because of a target....

I told my guy that it wouldn't fit my boat if it was on straight.

Do you really think that I'll ever get drunk enough to consider exploratory surgery on that old fuel tank?
I think you've wasted a few "prime opportunities" already....
The Buttercups poked their heads up here man.... Old man Winter is about to pack his bags!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:46   #40

Hard to notice how askew, unless you already knew it:

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-h59IMMVqUTM%2FUxeLZIL84sI%2FAAAAAAAAAsA%2FLdsptUy6 XyM%2Fs1600%2FIMAG0147.jpg&container=blogger&gadge t=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]
Old 05-03-2014, 13:34   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Trying pic link again. Holding mason jar differently...

poof
Quote:
Ratfartz.
Quote:
Hard to notice how askew, unless you already knew it:

[IMG]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-h59IMMVqUTM%2FUxeLZIL84sI%2FAAAAAAAAAsA%2FLdsptUy6 XyM%2Fs1600%2FIMAG0147.jpg&container=blogger&gadge t=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/IMG]
Ya know... I don't think me o SkipJohn had a problem posting images here... Until you ratfartzed...

Now... between the 3 of us we can't even draw something in the dirt with a stick...

Old 06-03-2014, 05:20   #42

Double ratfartz, then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0147x.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	77168