Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2013, 21:37   #61

Re: Diesel Fuel Polishing

Originally Posted by steveebryant View Post
Thanks for taking the time to make a reply.

I have searched this site for specific answers to my many questions and have discovered none; to include using the reference you supplied-it turned up "no matches."

I believe such a homemade device can be properly built; I believe there is more to completing the project than meets the eye. That's why I am asking if anyone has actually done this successfully.

In an attempt to keep it simple and get started, please help me find a way to answer the following two (2) questions:

1. Assuming I am able to find a proper match between a "salvaged" diesel fuel pump and a fuel filter/water separator, can I power the pump using my boat's batteries while they are connected to a charger and not risk damaging either the batteries or the charger if left to run while the boat sets idle, in the slip, for 3-4 hours a day, for a week.

2. I am familiar with what an inverter does. My question is this: Is there a device which, when connected to 110 volts AC source, will produce DC Voltage that will supply power to the fuel pump?

Thanks again for your studied reply
This a simple setup. A inverter/charger will fill the bill. I have a 2000 watt Exide Inverter that has a 110 amp charger with adjustable settings and float, bulk, Equalizer system. I use mine at the docks even though I use a 205 watt solar panel as well. I am now putting a pump and ball valves together with a timer/shut off switch to allow auto control.

The Voyage not the Destination
is sought by the Sailor
Captjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:25   #62
Marine Service Provider

Make sure you use a coalescing filter system. These are ones that remove emulsified water as well as free standing water.

Diesel Polisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 13:08   #63

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

My generator has this electric lift pump. I plan to build a system using one of these & then also have a spare. In the way of process, the polisher will take from the very bottom. I will use a spare Racor in the suction line as the primary and the water separator. The pump will pull through the Racor and discharge through a large 1 micron spin-on element. If I can make this work, I will feed my lift pump after my secondary filter. The filter return line will be my original tank suction line (above the tank bottom). In case the polisher fails, my main lift pump will revert to business as usual. This means that my engine never sees fuel that hasn't been scrubbed to 1 micron.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 13:17   #64

Check out Filter Boss: Diesel Fuel Polishing Systems | Racor Dual Filter System | FilterBoss
Had a booth at the Annapolis show last fall. Knowledgeable guy, has a full line of filters, pumps, manifolds, etc. Sounds like he'll help design a custom polisher for you.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:02   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That Pegaus pump is a Facet pump, readily available and I think for less money elsewhere, the end unscrews and there is a filter screen under that. My Maule airplane had one in each wing to transfer fuel from the aux tanks to the mains, very reliable pump

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote

diesel, fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: