Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 11:17   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Designing a new traveller

My old traveller was very badly designed. It consisted of a track and two stoppers, two single blocks, a traveller car with integrated blocks, and two cam cleats fixed to the gunwales. To set a new car position required you to move all the way to the starboard and port rails to release each cam cleat, position the car using the loaded line and then set the other side by jumping to the other rail.

Here's what it looked like:

After reviewing the costs of newer traveller systems ($500-$1000+) I decided a simpler modification would suffice.

I purchased two blocks with integrated cam cleats ($60) and replaced the blocks attached to the gunwales. I also threaded a single rope through both sides. By using a single rope, I don't have a long tail on one side of the traveller getting in the way and tangled in other things.

Here's the new modification:

The new system is much more efficient. The operator can sit or stand in one place and operate both cam cleats at the same time. Simply release the unloaded line, release or reposition the loaded line and then lock the other side, if desired.

I left enough line on the control side so I can set a differential position for both sides depending on conditions.

I wanted to attached the new blocks to the traveller car, but that would have required disassembling the current car and integrated blocks. My alternative was the simpler option.

So far, it works magnificently.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote