Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 17:46   #31

Re: Design Solutions for this Mess on my Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Think out of the box... Why mount the anchor on the tip of the bow? The old schooners didn't. Put a roller away from the bow on each side. Always use a snubber/bridle except for a lunch stop!
Really interesting thought.

If the intent is to store rather than deploy, as the OP stated, I imagine a short length of alloy tubing placed athwartship and aft of the bow to act as a cathead would be an easy retrofit to any boat that would provide storage for up to two additional anchors.

Moving the dead weight of a spare anchor aft would only improve performance compared to sticking it all the way out on the end of bow anyway.

Why not? If you're only storing the anchor, any roller associated with it is sitting around getting paid to do nothing 99.99% of the time. What a waste!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cathead.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	87740  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 17:55   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Really interesting thought...
Why not?
Need you ask? Come on!

We all face these same problems, and have been doing so since we figured out how to anchor. Why, all of a sudden, is some bizarre solution necessary? Why not do it the simple way yachtsmen have always done it? Adding a roller does not require turning one's yacht into the local spectacle.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:15   #33

Hey, I'll play!

Hudson has a forty foot boat. Sure it's brawny, but I'm playing the advocate here, so let's roll.

I have three different chunks of extrusion lying on my deck right now. A couple old booms I pulled out of the dumpster and a round tube.

I could cut any one of them down to about a five length and use a chunk of Dyneema I happen to have lying around and lash it to the holes in my extruded aluminum toerail without costing me a penny air or having to alter my boat.

In return I get two catheads to STORE my second and third anchors

Oh, btw on my forty footer I just saved the weight of the costly second (possibly custom?) bow roller and moved the remainder two or three feet back from the bow instead of adding weight that only sticks further out.

On a twenty foot lever arm two feet is ten percent and three is fifteen. Your bower roller solution makes the situation at best five percent worse.

For the cost of some tubing and some lashing line?
Old 04-09-2014, 18:29   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

So I would anchor by swinging my 45lb anchor from a chunk of extrusion easily found in a dumpster and lashed to a currently non existent rail that is at a place where I am acustomed to having free for dock lines and jib sheets, rafted neighbors and finger piers?
Old 04-09-2014, 18:44   #35

I carefully read your OP before I posted my cathead comments. Your stated your goal was secure storage for a second anchor. Unless I am mistaken.

How often do you deploy your second anchor anyway? Spend whatever amount on whatever solution you see fit. I never said you would do anything. I just liked Cheechako's idea, that's all.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:06   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I carefully read your OP before I posted my cathead comments. Your stated your goal was secure storage for a second anchor. Unless I am mistaken.

How often do you deploy your second anchor anyway? Spend whatever amount on whatever solution you see fit. I never said you would do anything. I just liked Cheechako's idea, that's all.
You're right. I do seek a storage opportunity for the second anchor. Although I usually anchor with just one anchor, I would like to have the standby easy to deploy. I should not disrespect your suggestion when I'm asking for all ideas. I simply would have more expense and adaptation to construct a device as you describe if I would want it not to interfere with other functions on my boat. I am also far from overladen in the bow. I have a 100lb dinghy on 2.5" SS pipe davits on the stern and a heavy anchor and tools stored low center. My boat is moderate at 26,000lbs empty and despite long term live-aboard cruising I've never raised my waterline. Thanks for your ideas,- 'keep them coming!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58   #37

I looked at a couple boats on the docks this morning. I think the best use of the idea is maybe as a make-due solution for boats that have no gear for anchoring on the bow.

I can think myself of a delivery of a racing boat I did years ago when I decided to bring along a Delta to supplement the lightweight Danforth that was on board. In hindsight a bit of wood lashed across the bow to the pulpit bases and a snap shackle might have saved me a fair amount of aggravation. Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:54   #38

well.... a messy cathead solution is not what I really was thinking, but dual rollers spread apart has some merit. They could be arranged to be used with one vertical windlass if set in the right position. But if you are really going to the "outback".. like western South America etc... two rollers set wide and each having it's own windlass is heaven!
One advantage of wide set rollers (other than no anchor interference between anchors) is they don't damage the headstay or roller furler.
There's a bowsprit in this pic but it could be setup the same without a sprit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
................... two rollers set wide and each having it's own windlass is heaven! .................
That is a sweet set-up and a beautiful plan & photo. I will not have the luxury of the two wndlasses, but my potential for leading to my current windlass and having the drum & chain gypsy on opposite sides of my horizontal windlass give me some fair pathways. Of course I'll need to make use of snubbers, my sampson post and chain locks when sharing the windlass.
Old 20-09-2014, 11:54   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'll need to replace my current anchor davit with one that will "fork" into two as it extends from the bow. I can do this best by removing the old piece held with these six bolts.....

I have seven weeks to loosen and remove these six stainless bolts that have been fastened to this aluminum for forty plus years. That's seven weeks before hurricane season is over, as I need my ground tackle ready, as is, until there's no threat. ............................
Well, hurricane season is not yet over, but I've been spraying these six fasteners inside and outside for every other day for two weeks. Today I crawled upside down and forward into my anchor locker with a wire brush on a rotary tool. With a light and a well-placed mirror and some contortions I was able to clean some epoxy-like coating from the nuts and threads on these fasteners. I could not see the two larger bolts except in a mirror as they were forward of a metal platle that transfers the force on the forestay attachment on deck down to the stem.

I did not remove the bolts, but I managed to loosen and reset all six nuts. This is great for me! I'll be able to DIY all the "grunt" work and just take the anchor davit piece to the fabricators shop so they can make the new one with the double channels for two rollers. I was worried about being able to remove these stainless fasteners set through aluminum 41 years ago, but all looks well!
Old 20-09-2014, 12:23   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What did You use for spraying, if I can ask?

Cheers,

Tomasz
I was using PBblaster.
Old 20-09-2014, 12:48   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well done, sir,

I can imagine what a relief it is to have that under control.

Ann
Old 07-02-2015, 14:16   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, It's been long awaiting, but my newly refabricated anchor davit for my bow should be ready this week. I'll be pleased to post photos of the outcome soon....... Ihope it will all fit nicely. All I have at the moment is my new anchor chain roller.

It's a big bright orange jelly bean! It's solid and tough and probably little will be seen of it once it's mounted and has my new Mantus laying on it. 'hope to post the final result soon.
Old 07-02-2015, 14:29   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Keep up the good work, mate!

Ann
Old 07-02-2015, 17:47   #45

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...All I have at the moment is my new anchor chain roller...
Do you mean that your rode will be all chain? This new double roller fitting will be a very nice upgrade.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote