Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 22:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40
Design and make new hot water unit.

6 years ago I repaired my hot water unit, thinking I might get a few more years out of it, so before it fails I want to make a replacement.
My plan is to make it fit into one of the rear locker, which is a little difficult to access. I have calculated that the volume of the HWS would be around 30 litres plus insulation. The biggest issue is that the tank/locker is not very deep but I will have to live with that. My plan is to run a 600w 12v element and have a tube heat exchanger that provides hot water from the engine and a tube/heat exchanger for the fresh water. The tank will be full of glycol/hot water.

The thing I cannot work out is how long to make the heat exchanger tubes. I imagine the hot water unit will run at least 65deg C (150) and I need to be least 55C from the shower. My shower uses about 4l (1 US gal) per minute.
Has anybody experience in making these things or can help me with the calculations. The HWS and tubing will be all stainless steel.

Thanks
Old 19-04-2015, 12:27   #2

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Re: Design and make new hot water unit.

I have made a simple excel ark that calculates the tube length. Many values have I done a guess, put in the right values. But even so, the tubes will be long and stainless tubes aren’t easy to do a coil of. It will be more practical to use small plate heat exchanger PHE.

A different solution is to have the warm water direct in the tank. Then you have a PHE for the motor and another PHE to the boat heating system.
Attached Files
File Type: xls VVX CF.xls (14.5 KB, 70 views)
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40
Re: Design and make new hot water unit.

Thanks Lars, That was very helpful, I will be using 13mm tube so I changed that value. I will look at how it bends and what it does show is that at least 9m of tube is needed to be effective. If I cannot fit the tube or if it does not bend well I will put a brazed plate HE on the outside of the tank with a small pump to heat the bat water.

Peter

Tags
water