Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 08:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Deicer and ablative bottom paint issues?

I was able to hang a deicer in the slip yesterday. (This is after the boat suffered a week locked in ice. ) Now I am wondering whether there is an issue with a deicer and the ablative bottom paint. The deicer is about 6 to 8 feet from the hull so I am certain the water has slowed from how fast it was coming off the deicer propeller.

There must be a minimum water velocity for ablative paint to ablate. Would the moving water from a deicer at a normal standoff distance be above that velocity?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:03   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Deicer and ablative bottom paint issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I was able to hang a deicer in the slip yesterday. (This is after the boat suffered a week locked in ice. ) Now I am wondering whether there is an issue with a deicer and the ablative bottom paint. The deicer is about 6 to 8 feet from the hull so I am certain the water has slowed from how fast it was coming off the deicer propeller.

There must be a minimum water velocity for ablative paint to ablate. Would the moving water from a deicer at a normal standoff distance be above that velocity?
It's unlikely there is a minimum below which the water velocity effect would be negligible. Rather, the rate of ablation is directly proportional to velocity.

Given the relatively low flow caused by a deicer, it's not something I ever worried about but if you do, a short haul for re painting would be appropriate. Either that or move to Florida with the rest of us and spend the winter sailing.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:21   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Deicer and ablative bottom paint issues?

Because I have only used a melter with cats (the water flow is between the hulls) I have never faced the issue. An interesting question.

Generally 4-6 knots (7-10 feet per second) is the threshold, depending on the paint. That's a lot of flow, so unless it is quite close, I doubt it.

The other thing you should do is put the melter on a thermostat so that it only runs when the temperature is below ~ 28F (when ice will form). This saves power, reduces clogging of the prop (you will catch plastic bags and sticks), reduces wear on the melter, and potentially, saves paint.

Honestly, in Deale, you don't need it. Been there 20 over years.

Tags
bottom paint, paint