Old 15-11-2013, 16:25   #16

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Re: Deck Resurfacing Project

Ventura area.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29   #17

Boring update.

I've about completed stripping the paint off the entire forward deck section, which is the majority of the project.

I did however come across an awesome paint stripping product. It is nearly harmless to fiberglass, capable of stripping all layers of paint, does not contain toxic chemicals, and requires relatively little effort of the purchaser. And to top it all off, it is slightly cheaper than all of the above chemical strippers I discussed. The downside is that on a deck this size it has an acting time of about 40 hours or so.

This totally awesome secret paint stripper: Craigslist

Old 11-12-2013, 10:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You mean you hired someone?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26   #19

Aye aye. I couldn't take the lack of progress anymore and for various reasons my time to work on this project has diminished. Gave in and found that I could find someone on CL for $10/hr to sand the dang paint off. 40 hours later and for roughly what I would have spent on paint strippers and other materials the removal is done.

Now off to fiberglass repair and other miscelaneous tasks before applying the primer coat.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59   #20
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

I am planning on repainting a large area of my deck in the spring, so keep posting. I need all the advice I can get.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I found a great worker last year on CL. Out of work bricklayer. Guy worked his A** off! I had a hard time keeping up with him, everytime I turned around he was sayin' "what's next". It was amazing how much work I got done in 4 or 6 hours. Heck, although we agreed on $12 an hour... I just gave him a $100 bill and it was worth it.

Old 11-12-2013, 20:34   #22

Cheechaco

Good for you - you made two people happy!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:38   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Had him back a couple more times... reminds me.. I need to track him down again!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:50   #24

Boat: Westsail 32

I will be talking this project myself this spring and am not sure of a stripper that will remove two part paints, think I will have to speak with some auto body shops.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45   #25

Cburger,

All of the paint on my boat is two part paint, all of the mentioned paint strippers work it is merely a matter of time, patience, and application method. And cost... These strippers are quite expensive and the coverage is pretty poor. I spent about $300 on paint stripper for the first half of the boat and about $450 for labor and materials for the second half and the best part about the second half is that I didn't have to do a darn thing.
Old 12-12-2013, 13:05   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
Cburger,

All of the paint on my boat is two part paint, all of the mentioned paint strippers work it is merely a matter of time, patience, and application method. And cost... These strippers are quite expensive and the coverage is pretty poor. I spent about $300 on paint stripper for the first half of the boat and about $450 for labor and materials for the second half and the best part about the second half is that I didn't have to do a darn thing.

Well I will try longer dwell times this year and see if it works, thanks CB
Old 12-12-2013, 13:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Well I will try longer dwell times this year and see if it works, thanks CB
Definitely, for the natural/safe type strippers you want probably a minimum of about 24 hours if you have more than one layer or paint to remove. For the other strippers i've found anywhere from 1-4 hours works best but it really varies and you need to keep an eye on it.

Also keep in mind that paint strippers basically work by chemical reaction with the paint, meaning that temperature makes a huge difference in time. If it is 90+ degrees out it will take considerably less time to work than if it is 50 degrees
Old 21-12-2013, 23:12   #28

Still chugging along here. Put the primer layer on the next section which gets me to about 50% done with the primer on forward deck the rest of the paint has been stripped but the other half is still waiting for me to finish up some repairs and modifications.

Here are some pictures of the repairs and "modifications".

In the first picture you will see an example of one of the larger cracks i've found in the fiberglass. My process for repairing this is to simply grind it out with a dremel and a cut-off wheel (works great and is very precise), I then make sure to soak the wood underneath with epoxy and then fill in the gap with epoxy and silica filler.

The second picture is a picture of a spot where there was a vent installed for a refridgerator, the refridgerator is dead and I have removed it and won't be putting another back in that same place so I have decided to fill it in completely and get rid of a piece of clutter on the deck. To do this I got a 1" sheet of marine plywood and some hole saws, selected the correct size and drilled out a wood plug to fit the hole almost exactly. I then tape off the bottom side, wet everything with epoxy, cover it all with a little bit of epoxy and silica filler and then stick the plug in it's place filling the small center hole with more thickened epoxy. Once that is cured in place I sand everything down to a smooth finish and then sand down the wood plug I made so that the exposed wood sits a little bit lower than the rest of the deck surface. When that looks good I cut out a piece of fiberglass large enough to overlay on top of the area and epoxy it in. When that is cured it gets sanded smooth and is ready to go, I've filled in three such holes in the deck with this method. I will post a finished picture later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131212_132355_304.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	72551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131219_152553_658.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	72552  

Old 22-12-2013, 19:37   #29

Crummy set back today. Went to cut out and old hatch and make space for a new one. Found a small rotten spot on the edge of the hatch went to clean it up and all that and ended up finding out that I was able to tear up a huge section of fiberglass by hand. yay for delamination. Found mildly wet wood underneath.

Fortunately the actual rot was limited and the moisture was mostly limited to the surface of the wood so I was able to quickly dry out the wood with a heat gun and replace the fiberglass in the section.

Used a small amout of epoxy with silica filler and some fiberglass strands to make a filler to replace the small rotted spot and then applied two layers of 6oz fiberglass and a layer of peel ply over everything. Should be good to go by tomorrow morning... Always awesome losing an entire day to end up where you starting in the morning the next day. Oh well, better to find it now than later.

Before/After pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131222_102931_305.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	72620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131222_130326_973.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	72621  

Old 27-12-2013, 11:25   #30

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
......and found that I could find someone on CL for $10/hr to sand the dang paint off. 40 hours later and for roughly what I would have spent on paint strippers and other materials the removal is done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Had him back a couple more times... reminds me.. I need to track him down again!
sorry, I couldn't resist...

If you don't find him post an ad on CL - strippers for hire

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: