Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 17:48   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Deck repair with MMM 5200

The standard method of repairing gouges, screw holes, and other similar issues involves resin, gelcoat, and a bunch of work. However, I have seen some boats that have adressed minor problems such as these with what I think is MMM 5200. One clear disadvantage of 5200 is appearance. But appearance aside, is 5200 a viable material for repairing dings and keeping water out of the FRP?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:54   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Deck repair with MMM 5200

5200 is a polyurethane rubber-like compound. It is a good adhesive, but I can't imagine it would be satisfactory for repairing gouges. I have used this and similar for filling in small screw holes in unseen and unimportant places.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:07   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sibley View Post
The standard method of repairing gouges, screw holes, and other similar issues involves resin, gelcoat, and a bunch of work. However, I have seen some boats that have adressed minor problems such as these with what I think is MMM 5200. One clear disadvantage of 5200 is appearance. But appearance aside, is 5200 a viable material for repairing dings and keeping water out of the FRP?

I have heard of using Marine Tex.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:04   #4
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

the PO removed the handrails, leaving holes all the way through.
I temporary filled them with 5200 three years ago and they're still holding, never a leak
Old 10-09-2012, 19:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

5200 would work well for filling screw holes but I think an epoxy putty like Marine Tex would be better especially for larger dings. 3/4 lb. White Travaco Marine Tex
Old 10-09-2012, 19:42   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

For me 5200 is for below the water line ! Marine Tex is far more better for above the water line and can be sanded to a good finish and painted over !! thats a couple of things against 5200 the unsandabilty and paint don't really stick to it very well. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2012, 20:50   #7

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36
I just used 5200 to bed a new thru hull for a transducer. Great stuff.. I'm not sure about dings and things. We own a steel boat that is fair with some kind of epoxy. Whenever we need to fix the finish my wife uses West System. If you use the micro balloons it sands very nicely. Marine tex is the hardest substance know to man short of diamonds. I guess you could use it but it might take you longer. Cheers!
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:47   #8

What I used on my boat to fill small holes and crack was product call PC-11 A and B cheaper than marine-tex , it same almost the product and does same job and stand up very well. easy to sand, paint ect. Just read instruction of mixing ratio of 1 to 1. W.W. Grainger has the product, it little cheaper than West Marine. I hope this help you and save you some money.
ironhors42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 17:54   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhors42 View Post
What I used on my boat to fill small holes and crack was product call PC-11 A and B cheaper than marine-tex , it same almost the product and does same job and stand up very well. easy to sand, paint ect. Just read instruction of mixing ratio of 1 to 1. W.W. Grainger has the product, it little cheaper than West Marine. I hope this help you and save you some money.
I like PC-11 epoxies as well, although I don't find them easy to sand and impossible to color match.

For patching scratches and dings, nothing beats gelcoat for inexpensive, easy application, color matching and sanding/fairing. No need to go anymore exotic than that unless it is structural and needing glass reinforcement.

Get some white gelcoat paste and some gelcoat coloring. Start with a small amount of base and before adding catalyst use a toothpick to put the tiniest amount of the colors needed for a match into the base until a color match is made (smear a bit on the adjacent gelcoat to judge - it will wipe right off). Then add catalyst and fill the gouge. Sand smooth when set.

Mark

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

For gouges its filler, for holes it's West System epoxy, for bedding above the waterline 3M4000 or 4200, for bedding below the waterline 3M 5200.

For Gelcoat repairs Mark has a good plan...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck