Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 19:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Deck Paint

I'm looking at re painting the deck of our Formula 31SC Express Cruiser this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality 2 part sprayable paint. Do not worry I have a certified spray booth and about 10 years spraying 2 PAC paints. I just don't know what is the best products are out there. The boat is in Canada Lake Ontario. Please no (you need a pro to spray your boat.) I have allot of experience spaying I just don't know what's good and what's not anymore.
PLEASE HELP
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 19:43   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Deck Paint

If you are a Pro and money is not a isue:: AWLGRIP.....
Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:18   #3

Boat: Ericon 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
If you are a Pro and money is not a isue:: AWLGRIP.....
Cheers.
+1 on AWLGRIP

I went with Perfection though because it was an easier system to work with and was much cheaper.

www.AsISeaIt.com
McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 20:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I had my deck sprayed with Awl Grip and two years later it still looks great.
Old 04-01-2013, 21:45   #5

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

PPG makes a product called Ameron PSX 700. Self priming used on offshore oil platforms. Has the adherance of epoxy and shine of urethane. Painted my boat (2 years) and previous boat (5 years) and still looks great. Cleaned my deck with scotch brite pad and Comet. Sprayed smooth areas and rolled the non-skid. Best paint I ever used.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Bump!!!
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Twelve years ago I painted my deck with Awlgrip using a 6 in and 2 in roller along with a small chip brush. It took some care but was not difficult and today looks as good as new. The problem, as others have mentioned, it is very, very expensive.

Rich

p.s. I only repainted the non-skid because the deck had turned into an ice rink.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 14:05   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Twelve years ago I painted my deck with Awlgrip using a 6 in and 2 in roller along with a small chip brush. It took some care but was not difficult and today looks as good as new. The problem, as others have mentioned, it is very, very expensive.

Rich

p.s. I only repainted the non-skid because the deck had turned into an ice rink.
I'm contemplating the same project using awlgrip. More expensive & difficult, but extremely durable if done right (from what I've been told).

Rich -- Did you paint the awlgrip over gelcoat (after sanding, prep, & primer)? Did you also use the awlgrip non-skid material that mixes with the paint for the non-skid?

Tks. for any insight. From my ltd. research thus far, awlgrip could actually be easier & more durable than trying to re-gelcoat.

Dan
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 14:12   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Angry Re: Deck Paint

Our boat originally had teak decks but the teak had gotten thin so we had it removed and painted. We went with Sterling paint and added Interlux Grip-Tex to provide some slip resistance. The pro who did our project did a great job but 13 years of hard cruising and it needs to be done again.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:01   #10

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

A Sherwin Williams variant of the PPG coating previously mentioned is XLE-80 (an epoxy/polyurethane coating). These are two-part polysiloxane coatings that were created in the 90s for U.S. military ships and claim some great benefits including self-priming, color retention, 10+years of gloss, no-sanding between coats during reasonable time periods, etc. Retail pricing is about the same for XLE-80 and Interlux Perfection. Although I don't have the experience of TFrere, my results thus far are in agreement with his.

Without a doubt, in my experience application of XLE-80 is dramatically less work intensive than Interlux Perfection and Awlgrip.

I've been experimenting with it during the past several months with some very good results. I've wrestled with dry times and reducing (which is not recommended), but the coating has proven tougher than my two-part Interlux. The Interlux lost its shine years ago (but nonetheless the paint has survived on deck for many more years); my "home-brew scratch tests" comparisons dramatically favor the XLE.

In my experimentation, the XLE isn't an acceptable coating with brush or roller, as a presentable on-deck finish, but spraying is great. A thorough Google of these coatings, including various government contracts, will show that they are used successfully on fiberglass vessels (USCG) with no extraordinary preparation despite the coatings being aimed at metal.

If any other forum folks have used these coatings, I would be interested in knowing how they have fared in your applications.

My current plan is to use XLE-80 on the topsides this spring.

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:57   #11

Roger,
Where are you located. I am anticipating doing the same thing and am very interested in your research. Having read many of the same articles I think you may be on to something and I would prefer taping and spraying over rolling but I am concerned about overspray.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 19:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Given you are a professional....Awlgrip. That is what the best boatyards spray with. I just had the hull sprayed on my research boat...it turned out really nice, as always.

Overspray is not an issue if you do it indoors (hauled out) where there is zero wind and you cover everything in plastic. Awlgrip ideally should be done indoors because it cannot get wet from condensation for I think 24 hours. If it gets wet the paint dulls. It also needs to be sprayed and cured in temperatures over 55 degrees.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:38   #13

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

DSDMan,

I sent a pm.

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote