Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 13:50   #1

Deck Paint

I have an alacrity 19 that needs paint. All over....

I am starting with the deck
The gel coat is in bad shape. Do i sand it down to glass??

I am using an orbital sander and a belt sander. The orbital will take a year to sand it seems.

What could i use to sand it down faster?

What do i use for paint? Do i have to go back with gel coat? What would you use?

Low budget. Working on this inside my shop.

petrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Deck Paint

Long term, a new gel coat will long outlast paint. Paint 2-3 years. Usually gel coat can be buffed out. Most boats have their original gel coat.
In paint or resin, deeper/coarser sanding scratches give more holding ability to the coating. It's better if the scratches don't all go in the same direction. I use a 40-50 grit for going down to fiberglass or wood base. When painting, I use a thicker sanding primer. It helps fill little imperfections. If you're going to use a 2 part finish, use a 2 part primer. Or 1 part finish, 1 part primer. Any major brand is fine. In resin, epoxy holds and wears much better than polyester, but a little more difficult to use for some people.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:41   #3

Boat: American Mariner 24'

I am not a painter or by any means a knowledgeable person on this subject. However, I painted my entire boat last year (bottom, topsides, deck, and non-slip). I was on a budget, both in the money and skills department.

I found Rustoleum marine paint. I hand sanded the old paint some to rough it up. Cleaned it very good and rolled the paint on. Rustoleum was cheap ($13 per qt) for the gloss white (topsides and deck), the bottom paint was $26 per qt, if I remember right. It self-leveled (if that's what it is called) and after three coats I can see my reflection. Remember to lightly hand sand in between coats. Over all, I think I have $180 in paint, tape, rollers etc... and IMO looks pretty good.

I went with Kiwigrip for non-slip. I did not like the Rustoleum system.

Its only been a year, but it is still looks good to me for a non-professional and cheap job. Not saying this is the best paint or anything like that. Its just what I found to do my small boat on a budget to get out on to the water.

The pic is from this summer, so a year after the painting. I am not sure why it is sideways or how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dock.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	160840  
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 15:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
The pic is from this summer, so a year after the painting. I am not sure why it is sideways or how to fix it.
Explanation here: How to re-invert falsely inverted photos??

It talks about "upside down' pictures, but it's also the explanation for "sideways" pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dock.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	160841  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 15:43   #5

Thanks. I got a lot of sanding to do..

I was planning on using kiwigrip.

Dont know what im doing.... But i am making deep scratches
Old 22-12-2017, 11:22   #6

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Explanation here: How to re-invert falsely inverted photos??

It talks about "upside down' pictures, but it's also the explanation for "sideways" pictures.
Well there you go. Thank you for the link and the explanation.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:03   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified View Post
Thanks. I got a lot of sanding to do..

I was planning on using kiwigrip.

Dont know what im doing.... But i am making deep scratches
Don't take off the gelcoat; repair it and paint over it. Given the size of your boat, you could re-gelcoat it. You'd need to spray it on, then sand/polish it fair.

I just recently refitted my deck. I was going to regelcoat it but ended up painting it. Here's my thread about it, which contains a lot of good information from Minaret, a board member who is a marine coatings professional.

I used Rustoleum "Topsides" paint to refinish my help pedestal. I've been thoroughly impressed with a) how well it flowed out when brushed on. Looks like glass, and b) how hard it cured. As for longevity, we'll have to see. It won't approach a two part paint, but it is about 1/5th the price.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 12:27   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How much of this deck needs to be non slip?

Given that you are after the low cost option, then the white? bits use a good quality exterior house paint and for the non slip bits International deck paint.

I have used Internationals deck paint (this stuff: INTERNATIONAL INTERDECK 750ml NON SLIP DECK PAINT - Deck & Bilge Paint - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing)

On three separate dive boat decks. Easy to apply, doesn't fade and can be touched up without showing easily at the end of the year. However, the first time I used it I scrubbed the living daylights out of the deck 3 times with pan scourers and kitchen cleaners to ensure the surface was really clean and grease free. Second boat only scrubbed once which resulted in the paint lifting under heavy impacts from dive equipment, lesson learnt GRP its all in the preparation.
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 17:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Don't take off the gelcoat; repair it and paint over it. Given the size of your boat, you could re-gelcoat it. You'd need to spray it on, then sand/polish it fair.

I just recently refitted my deck. I was going to regelcoat it but ended up painting it. Here's my thread about it, which contains a lot of good information from Minaret, a board member who is a marine coatings professional.

I used Rustoleum "Topsides" paint to refinish my help pedestal. I've been thoroughly impressed with a) how well it flowed out when brushed on. Looks like glass, and b) how hard it cured. As for longevity, we'll have to see. It won't approach a two part paint, but it is about 1/5th the price.
I have been reading that post. About halfway through.. The gelcoat is cracked all over. Kind of powdery
Old 22-12-2017, 17:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How much of this deck needs to be non slip?

Given that you are after the low cost option, then the white? bits use a good quality exterior house paint and for the non slip bits International deck paint.

I have used Internationals deck paint (this stuff: INTERNATIONAL INTERDECK 750ml NON SLIP DECK PAINT - Deck & Bilge Paint - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing)

On three separate dive boat decks. Easy to apply, doesn't fade and can be touched up without showing easily at the end of the year. However, the first time I used it I scrubbed the living daylights out of the deck 3 times with pan scourers and kitchen cleaners to ensure the surface was really clean and grease free. Second boat only scrubbed once which resulted in the paint lifting under heavy impacts from dive equipment, lesson learnt GRP its all in the preparation.
Polly 75% is nonskid..... I had been thinking about house paint... I read a few years ago a post where sailorchic uses house paint
Old 22-12-2017, 18:06   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

I surveyed a yacht last week that had the deck painted in acrylic house paint. Every cabin window was hazy from paint residue. Apparently ever time it rains something leeches out of the paint and makes the windows hazy! It seemed to easily clean of but what a mess.
We used to use the cheapest oil based house paint to paint the old mans trawler and that lasted fairly well. So I am not against house paint.
Have you thought about doing the prep work yourself then taking it to a auto shop and getting them to spray the gloss bits? Then you can roll the non skid on yourself. Or finding a mate who can spray to do the gloss bits in your shed?
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint