Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 21:02   #1

Boat: 1979 Pearson 32
Deck / Hull Joint Under Rubrail

Hi There -

I have a 1965 23' fiberglass sloop. I recently noticed a place where the rubrail was loose, and I now realize it's loose because the joint underneath it is basically gone. It looks like there is an interface where the deck and hull sort of come together into a flange which is riveted or bolted together. Most everywhere this looks fne, but there are some places where the material is literally gone and there is nothing immediately inside the rubrail.

How can this be fixed without hauling the boat out and totally rebuilding the deck?

I'd be happy to at least mitigate further damage, as right now there is no interior leaks I am aware of, or symptoms of structural weakness

thanks
sandycohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 04:37   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Any chance you could post some pictures? It would help, hard to say without more detail.

Fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 05:43   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Ditto on the pictures
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:19   #4

Here are some pictures - from inside the cabin, there is absolutely no evidence of this deterioration - the corner formed by the deck and hull is solid fiberglass.

The picture that shows the area under the rubrail (what is this called?) white and brown in the same picture is to show that there is like a dirt or mud under the rubrail plastic in some sections, even where the structure is intact.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deckhull1.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	12687   Click image for larger version

Name:	deckhull2.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	12688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	deckhull3.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	12689  
Old 17-01-2010, 20:31   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
can't tell for sure from the pictures, but I believe what we are looking at is a hull and deck joint where outward flanges meet,
are then bolted/riveted together and then covered with the rubrail.
It would seem that over the years the flange in some spots
may have been banged into pilings, docks or other boats...
and has cracked and disintegrated under the rubrail...
a few assumptions...boat is used in protected/coastal waters
and we are not looking to make any passages here...
there is no wood exposed...area missing flange is limited in length...and remaining material is solid...if so ...then...
in those areas the only thing holding the joint together is the
adhesive and the surrounding bolts...
usually aluminum and have enough meat to drill into both deck and hull and then mount... using adhesive maybe 3m 4200 and then bolt/screw and then remount rub rail part of tee pointing out. (brown dirt under rub rail probably is dirt and old dried up adhesive must be removed) If no interior leaks i would not remove existing chauk between hull and deck, but use rub rail/tee material and chauk to reinforce and protect.
This is based on not doing a complete proper hull to deck rebed job as you indicated...
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 20:41   #6

missing from above post...suggesting using...
toe rail or tee material usually aluminum
Old 17-01-2010, 20:49   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
ughhh thats ugly. Looked like what you described. Its an important joint ehh? So if you tore off all that rail could you rebed it in 5200 and set some new bolts through the flange.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 08:21   #8

It seems that the flange is missing in some areas.
Sooner or later, without the bolts to hold the deck and hull from flexing a leak will happen...
Another thought...if you have access in the interior, you may be able to epoxy
or use adhesive(and bolts or screws from exterior top and side) to install a corner piece
where flange is missing...and then you can install a strip of vinyl on the exterior...the idea is to reinforce to stop the flexing that goes on...
Old 18-01-2010, 09:51   #9

Hi All - Thanks for the input. Hugosalt's first post was a little hard to follow. If I am correct, he is suggesting I install toerail or t-rail which bolts into the deck and hull. I found this link to a toerail -

http://www.crestaluminum.com/Main/Ma...TOE%20RAIL.pdf

Is that what you had in mind?

If so, are you suggesting I tear off the outward flange all the way around the boat and replace with this track?

Or are you suggesting I use t-track in the spots missing the flange, and put rubrail over it? I take it this would be a different style of track - can you send an example?

I really appreciate the help, but your notes were hard for me to follow and I could use some clarification.

Same for your last post - I have easy acess to the inside of the joint, but I don't understand what you are suggesting as a corner piece - can you elaborate?

Is the rubrail supposed to be sealed onto the deck/hull, or is it supposed to be just held on by friction and tension?

Sabray - not sure what you meant in your post by tear off all the rail and rebed it in 5200 - do you mean remove all of the rubrail? THat's easy - what do you mean by 'rebed it'?

Thanks all!
Old 18-01-2010, 13:20   #10

I have just spent the last hour...(with interruptions) responding and then lost post when sending...I must be short...if needed send me pm and I will respond or call you...

sorry for confusion...
yes suggesting installing toe rail or tee that can tie in area that is missing flange only...
maybe a metal shop can fabricate a tee that you can use to mount the vinyl rub rail as
well as screw/bolt deck to hull.
do not remove remaining good flange, that is holding the deck to hull and keeping
boat rigid.
by corner piece I mean piece of wood (2x2 or2x3) that can be installed in interior corner where deck meets hull (using epoxy or adhesive with screws or bolts. this will provide for
lost support caused by missing flange...this may make for better looking exterior but you will have to still seal outside joint from elements.
the vinyl rub rail was most likely originally attached to the flange with adhesive to keep a water tight seal...you will want to attach any loose sections with adhesive again.
How long is area with missing flange?
What make is boat? there may be a active users group...which may have passed this way before?
Is missing flange area near hi stress area such as chainplates?...I see its near your
jib track... keep stress away from missing flange area until repaired.
Best I can come up with short of a total joint job.
The joint and adhesive between the deck and hull is 45 years old...you may be able to gently tighten tighten screws on the balance of flange or leave well enough alone!
Hope this helps and does not add confusion. Good luck.. Hugo
Old 24-08-2019, 11:12   #11

Boat: Hunter 45 CC
Re: Deck / Hull Joint Under Rubrail

How was the rub rail attached to the hull deck joint? How did this project turn out for you.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:12   #12

Boat: Seaswirl, 16 foot

I have a similar deck/hull joint encapsulated by a glued rub rail. My boat suffered damage from a very large tree limb falling on the port gunnel. There is cracking in the immediate area plus rub rail displacement for about a 4 foot length of the joint. My flanges are lightly stapled and glued. The rub rail tightly sandwiched the joint and is also glued. I can't seem to find replacement rub rail that suits the condition. Any thoughts?
Crusty Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 02:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Crusty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rubrail