Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2014, 06:05   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Deck Core Soft Spot? -a Low Budget Amateur Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sharkskin is awesome,Just like a surgeon working on a patient.
For the record.. I have never used sharkskin on a patient...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 07:28   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm not sure what you are suggesting I do - somehow setup reclamation facilities where none exist? Somehow tent over and collect fiberglass grindings where no materials or facilities to put it in exists? Should I have carried all of the waste onboard until we returned to the US in a decade or so and then deal with it "properly"? Dude, I promise you the work I was doing on our boat was done much more environmentally friendly and safely than all the rest of the work going on. I provided the masks, safety glasses and gloves, although nobody would use them but me. I also swept up around the boat each night and put it in the dumpster, just like everyone else did with their motor oil...

Look closely - those are safety glasses!

But hey, at least I wasn't spraying Awlgrip like this guy (hard to tell, but his face is completely orange).

Mark

Maybe try not to brag about it in an attempt to make it seem like this is a normal, safe practice? People do come here for advice, you know. Wouldn't want anyone to try to emulate you...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 07:52   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Didn't mean it to come across as bragging - just pointing out that the OP working in crocs on a small deck job is not "unsafe" or "bad practice". Not everyone has access to thousands of dollars of professional equipment that you do, and they take reasonably thought out risks proportional to the situation they are working with.

In my case, in the place I was working, the way I was working was "normal" and "safe". And it is that way in many places of the world. Not everyone is coming to this forum from the US, and many of them have jobs to do in places where their electricity is coming from an old christmas tree light cord tapped into a single overhead wire strung between trees and shared by the whole community.

As for some of the practices outside the strictly regulated US, I was providing perspective. A "professional" can come on here and tell people how things "must" be done, while someone trying to do something in Thailand is left wondering where all this magical stuff and procedures can be found.

Give it a try! Go to some out-of-the-mainstream place and try to do a small project like you think it should be done.

As for people coming here for advice, I think even the most uninformed person can easily see the gulf between our two approaches posted here and determine to which side, and how far, they should lean in their project.

Would you like to see some pictures of people outside the US welding, wiring, spraying fields and cutting down trees? Might send you into apoplexy…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 11:54   #34

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Great repair posts, I am in need of the hints for sure. It has been a while since I perused Cruisers Forum and am shocked and dismayed at the rude comments here. Looks like CF has joined the majority of the other forums with the lack of civility.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 11:58   #35

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Allen S. +1 so much great information and so sad at the same time
Old 23-05-2014, 12:46   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
...................... It has been a while since I perused Cruisers Forum and am shocked and dismayed at the rude comments here. Looks like CF has joined the majority of the other forums with the lack of civility.
Most all said above has been good advice and often with some attempts at clever quips that may be interpreted as a lack of civility, but comments are often percieved as more harsh than their intent. As the OP for this small project, I appreciate anyone who may point out a better procedure or methods that improve safety or protect the environment. My own practices and others can only improve by sharing these thoughts.
Old 23-05-2014, 12:49   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Just want to reiterate, Tyvek suits can be ordered from Amazon for less than $7 each, and most boat owners already have a pair of rubber boots. A box of 100 latex gloves is less than $5. No thousands $ required, lest anyone be confused. Even the barrier cream is $5 a tube, easily available as linked to earlier.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 13:03   #38

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Wearing things to protect yourself is always good advice. Over the years of doing small projects I became epoxy sensitive. if anyone doesn't know what that means, it's even if fumes of epoxy touches your skin you will get a rash. My so sad comment applied to the forum in general. I guess the trolls have to equal the people trying to help. Edit and I should be happy if that's the ratio
Old 23-05-2014, 13:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have done it two ways, i.e. removed the skin, then the core; replaced it then epoxied the skin back in place with lots of weight, and taped the seams. For smaller areas, I have drilled holes and injected clean, dry and oil free air, (which I have available) and force air dried it. It takes a while and you prey for no rain. Then, when dry, I injected epoxy slightly thickened with Cabosil. Use a slow setting epoxy so it can migrate through the pores of the core. Put weight over the area and allow to set. Check before gel to see if you have to add more.
Old 23-05-2014, 13:53   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
I have done it two ways, i.e. removed the skin, then the core; replaced it then epoxied the skin back in place with lots of weight, and taped the seams. For smaller areas, I have drilled holes and injected clean, dry and oil free air, (which I have available) and force air dried it. It takes a while and you prey for no rain. Then, when dry, I injected epoxy slightly thickened with Cabosil. Use a slow setting epoxy so it can migrate through the pores of the core. Put weight over the area and allow to set. Check before gel to see if you have to add more.
I've tried numerous methods. On a boat I had in the 1970's I used some injectable foam. I tried the bent nail in the electric drill method to wallow out a larger area under small holes before pumping in some low viscosity epoxy. I've done the procedure as I described at the start of this thread. I've built up the top without saving the original deck plate. I've used balsa core and no core and composite plastic coring. I've used tape at the seams and mat and woven roving. All these plans have had some success, but far less success with the drilled hole fills.

The only plan I have not used is the one where I've been told people have success replacing the core from the underside of the deck. I just can't see myself working against gravity! I've never wanted to attempt this method, but I'd be pleased to hear from someone that could describe how it can be done well.
Old 23-05-2014, 14:00   #41

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Keep up the good and bad techniques folks, I am a living sponge for this stuff
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 18:17   #42

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Great repair posts, I am in need of the hints for sure. It has been a while since I perused Cruisers Forum and am shocked and dismayed at the rude comments here. Looks like CF has joined the majority of the other forums with the lack of civility.

Hardly particularly rude comments. Rather a mild disagreement by two very experienced contributors. Here on CF I have observed the very experienced and expert are prepared to defend their turf and often much is to be learned from this interaction.

Donít be fooled the Moderators on CF are deadly swift to act (too quick in my opinion) on often mild interaction.
Old 23-05-2014, 18:20   #43

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I've tried numerous methods. On a boat I had in the 1970's I used some injectable foam. I tried the bent nail in the electric drill method to wallow out a larger area under small holes before pumping in some low viscosity epoxy. I've done the procedure as I described at the start of this thread. I've built up the top without saving the original deck plate. I've used balsa core and no core and composite plastic coring. I've used tape at the seams and mat and woven roving. All these plans have had some success, but far less success with the drilled hole fills.

The only plan I have not used is the one where I've been told people have success replacing the core from the underside of the deck. I just can't see myself working against gravity! I've never wanted to attempt this method, but I'd be pleased to hear from someone that could describe how it can be done well.
S/v Jedi posted an excellent example some time back extensively illustrated with photos. Try a search.

Cheers
Old 23-05-2014, 18:55   #44

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Deck Core Soft Spot? -a Low Budget Amateur Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Hardly particularly rude comments. Rather a mild disagreement by two very experienced contributors. Here on CF I have observed the very experienced and expert are prepared to defend their turf and often much is to be learned from this interaction.

Donít be fooled the Moderators on CF are deadly swift to act (too quick in my opinion) on often mild interaction.
Yepper. This has been quite civil imo. Regular readers know that both principals know what they're talking about. I'd be doing the easier repair per Capt Force, cos it's good enough for me.
Old 23-05-2014, 20:07   #45

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Regarding patching from the inside, there are several important benefits. Perhaps most importantly, there is no exterior blemish or huge cosmetic project, as in trying to hide the fact that a large panel has been removed, and the nonskid pattern (perhaps) likely shows proof that it is not factory original. No matter how careful you are, there will be slight discrepancies between the original surface and the replaced/salvaged panel. The exterior skin is almost always thicker than the interior skin, in these cored structures. So the repair disturbs the structural integrity much less. And, hidden behind the headliner, there is no need for elaborate fairing and finishing, itself a painstaking and time consuming part of accessing the core, from outside. And the resultant noise and environmental contamination issues are contained.

The exterior project and chance of residual blemish is eliminated entirely. An unblemished exterior could add thousand$ to the value of your boat. For these reasons I try to access, from inside.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, core, deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: