Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2013, 10:02   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Dawn Dish Soap in the Bilge?

i hope sabray was being sarcastic, which is the way i chose to view his posting....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:18   #77

Boat: PETERSON 44
It's a good thread as some good folk did not understand what happens when you soap/ disperse oil. My last comment was passive aggressive humor.
Currently in training to curb my poor behavior and be more friendly but not too friendly and be clear about how I intend to screw you over in a way that' does not cause conflict. I get to be right but you think you are right.Summary you were wrong I was right. We agree you are excellent and fun and I didn't explain things well. Which makes me wrong and you excellent. I get to think I was right while you know you are right. Even though you are all wrong.
What are we talking about?

Old 24-08-2013, 11:02   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Best practice is to have absorbent pads around the sump or covering the sump.
Nah, I disagree. I prefer Neil Prides solution, stop the engine leaking in the first place. The one time we did end up with water in an otherwise dry bilge the panic was quickly over after a taste test proved it to be freshwater. I clean the dust out of the bilges occasionally with a floor wipe to keep them smelling nice.

I thought oil came to the surface naturally in the Gulf of Mexico

Pete
Old 24-08-2013, 13:06   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
It's a good thread as some good folk did not understand what happens when you soap/ disperse oil. My last comment was passive aggressive humor.
Currently in training to curb my poor behavior and be more friendly but not too friendly and be clear about how I intend to screw you over in a way that' does not cause conflict. I get to be right but you think you are right.Summary you were wrong I was right. We agree you are excellent and fun and I didn't explain things well. Which makes me wrong and you excellent. I get to think I was right while you know you are right. Even though you are all wrong.
What are we talking about?
It be this:

If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?
Old 24-08-2013, 13:18   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the absorbent pads under a perfectly functioning perkins are only in readiness of the ultimate english engine permaleak. the white pad under the engine will show you where the damleak is located better than getting used oil in your eye. oh yeah it will also keep that oil out of your bilge. omg what a concept.

but then i have only been dealing with this bs since 1990 and i was only a motorhead for ever---lol this boat stuff is nada big deal but then what do i know--i am a girl who enjoys a good running engine-- that is beautiful music.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 18:54   #81

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Nah, I disagree. I prefer Neil Prides solution, stop the engine leaking in the first place. The one time we did end up with water in an otherwise dry bilge the panic was quickly over after a taste test proved it to be freshwater. I clean the dust out of the bilges occasionally with a floor wipe to keep them smelling nice.

I thought oil came to the surface naturally in the Gulf of Mexico

Pete
Dear mr. Pete
I so appreciate how you pointed out my error. I am. Buffoon for putting cheap diaper oil absorbent stuff under my non leaky engine. I do how ever change the oil. We're I to make a boo boo the pads catch this error. In the future I will try to meet your standard and not ever let oil get in my bilge.. Please allow me to congratulate you in your performance as a yacht sailor. May you succeed in all your endeavors. I am sure you will as you are right and I was wrong. Dear god please bless us and ughhhhh...... May the winds blow your kilt in a favorable way.
Sincerely Sabray
Old 24-08-2013, 20:19   #82

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Really, only here in the US can we "afford" to actually pay attention to the environment. Don't read that statement wrong - you should care about the environment and take appropriate measures to protect it... but lets be honest... about 90% of the world simply dumps their trash in the ocean, same with oil and billions of gallons of carcinogenic and harmful chemicals. Lets not even talk about trash collection and recycling... still pipe dream.

It would be wonderful if there was no way for other countries problems to show up on our shore but look at Fukushima and all the radioactive stuff that has washed on on the west coast of the US - its not going to happen.

Oil, trash, heavy metals, radiation does not care about laws and borders... it will go anywhere it will go.

Tags
bilge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: