Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 09:45   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Dawn dish soap in the bilge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I follow the example of DOJ's father......apparently he would become outraged over as little as dust in the bilge. I have the world's loudest shop vac...works great...no dust, no oil, no sludge... Just oakum and nice clean bilge.
Father would thank you for the honourable mention himself - but he is not an interneter .......To be fair, he has mellowed a bit in his dotage. Not much, but a bit .

For oil (and diesel) spills I like Detergent Powder , mixed with water (ideally warm) to break things down and then mopped and scrubbed by hand as needed.

I doubt anything works well enough if just poured into the bilge and left to soak before being pumped out. On which note, everything goes into the bilge by bucket and then comes out the same (usually via a cloth / sponge) the reason for that is not to clog up bilge pump but also means you don't pour too much liquid in and get tide marks where they can't be reached well away from the problem area as are not simply sloshing around dirty water but also rinsing it away.

The water get disposed of carefully - mostly that care about not spilling any on the sidedecks . Hey, it's a big ocean and you guys over there are balancing us out .

For a constant oil problem the only cure is.........to fix the source? A Nappy in the bilge 24/7?, mmmmm...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 10:25   #47

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Father would thank you for the honourable mention himself - but he is not an interneter .......To be fair, he has mellowed a bit in his dotage. Not much, but a bit .

For oil (and diesel) spills I like Detergent Powder , mixed with water (ideally warm) to break things down and then mopped and scrubbed by hand as needed.

I doubt anything works well enough if just poured into the bilge and left to soak before being pumped out. On which note, everything goes into the bilge by bucket and then comes out the same (usually via a cloth / sponge) the reason for that is not to clog up bilge pump but also means you don't pour too much liquid in and get tide marks where they can't be reached well away from the problem area as are not simply sloshing around dirty water but also rinsing it away.

The water get disposed of carefully - mostly that care about not spilling any on the sidedecks . Hey, it's a big ocean and you guys over there are balancing us out .

For a constant oil problem the only cure is.........to fix the source? A Nappy in the bilge 24/7?, mmmmm...........

Actually gasoline...especially the stuff with ethanol works really well on oil rings and sludge in the bilge...just limits the spectators ability to smoke..

Don't ask how I know it works ....either on my assistance towboat or the dozens of boats I've assisted where they fueled via the rodholders instead of the fuel pipe....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 12:52   #48
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually gasoline...especially the stuff with ethanol works really well on oil rings and sludge in the bilge...just limits the spectators ability to smoke..
Sludge is a different matter ......Gasoline / Petrol works well , but nonetheless still need the elbow grease......and detergent to clean up .
Old 18-08-2013, 12:58   #49

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sludge is a different matter ......Gasoline / Petrol works well , but nonetheless still need the elbow grease......and detergent to clean up .
You have ethanol gas? E-10 worked just staring at it.... Then toss a bilge absorber in there and I was amazed....not gonna try it again on my tow boat...can't afford to lose her..
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:21   #50

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Wow from soap to the bp spill. Look at all the bubbles coming from a boat after dinner from there sink. Yea I know no one from this forum I'm sure...lol we are the only good sailors out there all on this site.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:36   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Dawn Dish Soap in the Bilge?

sabray nailed it. Soap, detergent, gasoline, solvents, all still bad ideas because they may disperse the oil or thin it, but it is still OIL and petrochemicals at best and still illegal to discharge. The bilge zorbs are the only "fast" answer although there are some enzyme treatments that actually will chemically break down the oil, if given time to work. Or so they say. If the oil is chemically broken down, then it isn't oil and isn't illegal to pump out.

But generally anything that can leave any type of slick or rainbow on the water, is still going to get a prize if you're caught discharging it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:38   #52

Boat: Lagoon 440

TROLL........
Old 18-08-2013, 13:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Abstract
Environmental protection agencies and the petroleum industry require effective methods to separate micron-sized oil droplets from water. However, for most existing separation methods, phase separation occurs in the oil–water mixture. The remaining micron-scale oil droplets, which are not affected by phase separation, are difficult to handle with conventional methods on a large scale because of either a lack of separation ability or drawbacks in throughput capacity. Here we develop an oleophilic array of conical needle structures for the collection of micron-sized oil droplets, inspired by the collection of similar sized water droplets on conical cactus spines. Underwater, these structures mimic cacti and can capture micron-sized oil droplets and continuously transport them towards the base of the conical needles. Materials with this structure show obvious advantages in micron-sized oil collection with high continuity and high throughput.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 14:08   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
sabray nailed it. Soap, detergent, gasoline, solvents, all still bad ideas because they may disperse the oil or thin it, but it is still OIL and petrochemicals at best and still illegal to discharge. The bilge zorbs are the only "fast" answer although there are some enzyme treatments that actually will chemically break down the oil, if given time to work. Or so they say. If the oil is chemically broken down, then it isn't oil and isn't illegal to pump out.

But generally anything that can leave any type of slick or rainbow on the water, is still going to get a prize if you're caught discharging it.
It's almost as if some folks forget that the rest of the world is different. or exists? .

FWIW, we do "carbon offset" our discharges - mostly by not blowing up stuff . But clearly some places have a different approach.
Old 18-08-2013, 15:25   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, you're allowed to discharge oil in your home waters, dave?

Of course, one might suppose that if the OP or anyone else WAS allowed to discharge oil, there wouldn't be any question about how to get it out of the bilge in the first place. Would there?
Old 18-08-2013, 15:32   #56

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Does ths really work? Can anyone confirm this helps in maintaining a clean bilge? Ad if so,how much do you put in?
This was the question. not if you're allowed or what is the chemistry breakdown if you do but far be it for anyone on this form to actually stick to the question.. Oh did I say that out loud

So the answer would be. probably and a few squirts.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 15:45   #57

In all the forums I've read on this recurring subject, so many respond:

"I just use my shop vac."

No one has EVER explained how they drain or where they drain the good ol' shop vac once it's full of bilge crap.

Could someone please let us know?

Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 15:51   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stu, you drain the shop vac in the same place that we drained the fuel tank washout: The marina's "oily waste" tank. Where it gets sold to an oil recycler, who usually turns it into heating oil or something equally uncritical.

I confess, I'll throw oily paper towels, rags, and plastic bags into the ordinary garbage.
Old 18-08-2013, 16:20   #59

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
TROLL........
I thought urine broke it up.

So you can pee in the sink (or shower) and have it take care of the bilge oil before pumping.
Old 19-08-2013, 01:25   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So, you're allowed to discharge oil in your home waters, dave?

Of course, one might suppose that if the OP or anyone else WAS allowed to discharge oil, there wouldn't be any question about how to get it out of the bilge in the first place. Would there?
Whether legal or not - a variety of approaches to getting stuff out of the bilges. Seems that many just want a magically easy answer - me too , but IME the only way to do a good job is to scrabble around in the bilges.......

Tags
bilge