Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 05:02   #1

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Dark spots in water tanks

Hi,

I am trying to refit of a Southern Cross 31. It has two builtin fiberglass water tanks. They both have dark spots (see attached photos). I tried to wipe them out and the dark spots get much lighter and sometime almost disappear but the don't go away 100%.

Any idea on what these dark spots could be or how to treat them?

I was considering replacing these water tanks but that sounds like a big and expensive job

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_135037.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	172062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_135023.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	172063  

Name:	IMG_20180616_135228.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	172064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_135335.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	172065  

leveche420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 05:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Dark spots in water tanks

Had a similar problem earlier this year. They don't wipe off but using a green scouring pad and some kitchen cleaner plus finger nail seemed to work well and removed them. Lumps were to be hard chalky like limescale but dark, mold? This was followed by rinsing and bleaching the tank just to be sure as I do every year.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:21   #3

Thanks Pete I will to wipe harder but they don't seem to go completely away no matter how hard i wipe. I thought it was mold but then I started to think about a potential material failure, like the gelcoat/fiberglass is blistering or something
Old 19-06-2018, 06:26   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The problem may be bacteria under hard water scale. You might want to try Trac Ecological's PSR as a remedy which seems to work pretty well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The spots appear to be some type of algae. This Is confirmed since rubbing removes the spots.

I would not sand the area.

Spray the spots with bleach (Clorox) and let the bleach stay in contact. Be careful not to breath the mist. Wear a basic cloth mask while you spray and then get out of the area while the mist settles.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:35   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Read about purifying a water tank / system in Peggie’s book.... The head mistress. I would start by adding bleach as per her recommendations into the tank and lines. I had these in my prior boats fiberglass tank. Some came out and others didn’t full. But I was sure the tank was decontaminated and no mold.

Good luck!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 13:06   #7

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I am going to try with bleach and see what happens although I have the feeling that the dark spots are not going to go away....
Old 19-06-2018, 13:48   #8

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-6HD/205047060

Sorry, having trouble inserting a link/pic of the Everbilt dryer vent cleaner. Home Despot less than $20.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 13:52   #9

Have a new to me 32 year old boat with twin 180 gallon water tanks that looked just like that before this past weekend (see video). Believe the tanks are fiberglass with an internal epoxy coating. From the caulk I had to chisel through with mini-pry bars, my guess is the tanks have never been opened since new. Used a dryer vent cleanout tool (see pics) along with 1 quart of unscented bleach in 10-15 gallons of water. Now the inside of the tanks looks like a new white tshirt. Put in the water and bleach, inserted the cleanout tool in a drill and went to town running the brush back and forth for the length & width of the tank. Added/removed sections of the fiberglass rod brush extensions to get to differenct areas of the tank. Actually couldn't see the extremes of the tank (only 8" opening under a panel at the bottom of a hanging locker), but got out lots of grit, the water was clear afterwards and the tank lining looked like a pure white life is good tshirt.
Attached Files
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 16:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t even want to know what the inside of my 30 yr old tank looks like.
Actually I looked thru the small level sensor hole a couple of years ago. It was clean, except for what looked like calcium deposits.
It’s an aluminum tank.
I don’t think you get algae in a water tank, cause I thought algae took light to grow? Maybe it’s a kind of bacteria that looks like algae?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:59   #11

I filled tank full to brim, and added a gallon and a half of bleach ! Let sit for 2 days! Then did a part pump out, not much ! Then used elcheepo bristle brushes from cheapo depot to get at the the baffle walls, and sides as far as I could reach. Then I refilled to top and put a small air pump line into tank to agitate for a couple of days. The crud that loosened up after initial cleaning was amazing!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 03:30   #12

Update! I went to the boat yesterday and applied a little bit of bleach, let it sit for few minutes and then scrub it. Well... The spots seem to go away but once the spots went away and the surface was pretty clean I realized that there seem to be blisters all over the internal walls of the tank. You gotta play with the light to see them and I would say the biggest one is about the size of a dime. I took photos but it's hard to see the blisters in the photos.

Are these blisters/bumps normal? Do they need repair?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180619_183756.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	172118  
Old 20-06-2018, 05:31   #13

try to pop 1 or more open, then see if there like a pus inside! If there is you have osmotic blistering ! That needs to be fixed if you even think about drinking the water out of those tanks !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 05:38   #14

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I think you could pop and fill the blisters as a repair. Then I'd coat the tank with food-grade epoxy to avoid new blisters and ensure safe drinking water.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 06:00   #15

The problem with popping and filling the blisters is that there are LOT of them and some are very difficult to reach...

Tags
tanks, water