Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 15:32   #1

Boat: Adams 40 - Gundy Grey
Cutlass Bearing Replacement

I have just removed the Water Lubricated Cutlass Bearing with Phenolic Shell from my steel hulled boat and was wondering if there was a special sealant, glue or coating that should go over the bare metal in the steel housing that the bearing fits back into. There doesn't appear to be any in there at present and there are no signs of corrosion. Would anyone know what the normal procedure is?
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:43   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Normally any cutlass bearing has an almost zero tolerance fit - that is, it won't just slide in and out, it needs to be forced into position. Additionally there are normally setscrews in the shaft log that provide an additional way to "lock" the cutlass bearing in place.
- - The use of grease or lubricants is not recommended although a thorough and complete cleaning of the inside of the shaft log tube is very important. Any lubricant might allow the cutlass bearing to rotate inside the shaft log defeating the purpose of the cutlass bearing.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 15:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The boatyard I frequent is known to leave the cutlass bearings in a freezer for a few hours before insertion. I know this doesn't address the steel surface question of which I have no knowledge.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

+1 on both posts #2 & #3.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51   #5

The metal shelled bearings are a tight fit, freezing helps...This post is about the phenolic shell bearing. It is a much easier fit and freezing has no effect.

I used 5200 and the allen screws (2) and had no problems.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena View Post
.............I used 5200 and the allen screws (2) and had no problems.
I enjoy many good applications of 5200, but in this case I would be concerned with my ability to remove an old cutlass bearing that was imbedded with 5200 and that time is sure to come.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20   #7

Removing a properly installed cutlass bearing is never easy or simple. The major concern is to prevent any rotation inside the shaft log tube by the bearing.
- - T5200 would be an acceptable "fix" only if the "fit" is not tight and firm and there are no set screws. Of course, set screws could be added if there is enough thickness of the shaft log wall to allow drilling and thread tapping.
- - Normal removal most usually involves cutting out a segment of the cutlass bearing to allow it to "shrink" and then forcing it out.
Old 08-08-2011, 14:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Oh man, 5200 is an adhesive that should never be used on something like a cutlass bearing. I hope you are the one that has to replace it next time. Please, if you are, let us know how it goes.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:18   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Oh man, 5200 is an adhesive that should never be used on something like a cutlass bearing. I hope you are the one that has to replace it next time. Please, if you are, let us know how it goes.
5200 has a remover that's supposed to work like majic (created by the guy who invented 5200)

me...I prefer a propane torch...300 degrees and most adhesives and epoxies fail pretty easily.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:21   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I have just removed the Water Lubricated Cutlass Bearing with Phenolic Shell from my steel hulled boat and was wondering if there was a special sealant, glue or coating that should go over the bare metal in the steel housing that the bearing fits back into. There doesn't appear to be any in there at present and there are no signs of corrosion. Would anyone know what the normal procedure is?
a little waterproof grease shouldn't hurt anything....same thing is used on prop shafts.

Just don't use a compound/grease with any metal in it...like regular anti-sieze...makes things worse through galvanic corrosion (OK I know some don't believe in this...but it's the best explanation I have).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:02   #11

Boat: Adams 40 - Gundy Grey

Thanks everyone one for your advice. I now feel confident with just putting the new cutlass bearing back in (after cleaning the housing) and painting where there is any exposed metal on the housing.

Gundy
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:28   #12

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

This thread has been very helpful to me as well. I just bought Johnson Duromax Cutless bearing and Dripless shaft seal. I'll let you knbow how it goes.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18   #13

Trick for breaking out a cutlass bearing.Put a hacksaw blade through the bearing then reinstal on the hacksaw.Make a lengthways cut next to the set screws.Be carefull not to cut the bearing holder.When the cut is mostly through the cuttless, screw in the set screws (or replace them with suitable bolts for the pupose).This should break the cut and bend in one edge of the cut and make removal of the bearing possible.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28   #14

For difficult to remove cutlass bearings I cut them out by removing a wedge of the bearing shell by cutting them with a low profile hacksaw like the one below. I make two cuts about 1/4 inch apart and parallel then remove the wedge. The rest of the bearing can them shrink enough to come free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEN-20975-975-2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	30394  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40   #15

Boat: Tartan 27, #534

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows about a fix for a new cutlass bearing that is 1/16" too loose. The old one fell apart when I tried to remove it. So, I sectioned it out with a hack saw. Then went on to a pencil file, then hones to clean the rest of it out. I tried my best not to alter the brass stern tube, but to no avail. The new bearing slid in easily. Does any one know of fix, or will I have to replace the stern tube? Thanks.
tartan27tc is offline   Reply With Quote