Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 01:16   #1

Boat: Ovni 395
Custom Aluminum Valencin 39 Refit

So finally I bought the sailboat. The initial discussion on it is here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-154814.html

It's a (semi) custom made aluminum sailboat, 39feet (12 meters), built in 1985 in France and owned by previous owner for 25 years.

So last weekend I moved the boat to Amsterdam Marine (Netherlands) and will start slowly work on her. There are a lot of major and minor things to be done, however as it's winter and it's cold, the first priority will be heating, cleaning, getting rid of small leak and changing one cabin into a toilet

The other big things that are planned for this year: fixing the oil leaks from engine, changing wiring and some instruments, new plumbing... The end goal: in couple of years to have a proper ocean going adventure boat that can be single / short handed.

I will be posting in this thread a regular updates and thoughts and any good ideas.

Would you guys prefer me to attach pictures to the thread or to give a link to a picture on instagram / facebook / tumblr / something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deesse.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	116494   Click image for larger version

Name:	12544864_10156395490845453_1307659260_o.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	116495  

xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:20   #2

Re: Custom Aluminum Valencin 39 Refit

And the firs thing is the heater.
I've removed the old 30-year old smelly space heater and bought the electric oil heater.

But I would like to install a proper boat heating system. I'm thinking on installing Webasto hydronic heater (Webasto Thermo Top E) and radiators in every room. Anyone has such a system?
Old 11-01-2016, 02:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Hydronic heat is good but uses a lot of 12 volt power. Look at a Wallas 40DT forced air furnace. Low power consumption as well as low fuel use and very quiet.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Hydronic heat is good but uses a lot of 12 volt power. Look at a Wallas 40DT forced air furnace. Low power consumption as well as low fuel use and very quiet.
The Wallas seems similar to Webasto Air Top Evo 3900.

I also have an installed gas heater (LPG Trumatic E-2800, very old) that is not working. Need to decide if I want to keep it (and fix it) and use propane gas for heating instead of diesel.

For fuel / 12v consumption I calculated average consumption (Running for 12h per day with output of around 2.5 kW heat) is:
- forced air: 28 Ah and 3.8 liters of diesel (4.7€ for diesel per day)
- hydronic: 33 Ah and 3.6 liters (4.2€ for diesel per day)
- gas heater: 10Ah and 5.4 liters of LPG (need to figure out the gas price still)

So by consumption it looks very similar. And by diesel / gas price it will be very similar.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

That is a small hydronic. Many use 7 or 8 amps what with the circulation pump and the fans in different zones.

Propane is not efficient as heat. 5.4 liters a day = about 6 1/2 lbs per day. A 20 lb tan will only last 3 days at that rate. Diesel is much more efficient.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:19   #6

... if you are looking at Webasto you might also check Planar 44D (12v) - Autoterm.CZ

Good luck (and stay warm ;-))

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Beautiful boat, congratulations on the purchase! I can't wait to see the work you do to her! She looks like she's ready to get cleaned up and do some sailing. cheers.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:11   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

If you want a top shelf Hydronic system, these are the way to go.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. | Olympia Boilers

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:08   #9

I had a webasto on a 37 foot motor sailor and in addition to being very fussy and hard to work on it sucked the batteries (2 8d's) dry overnight. I had rubber radiator pipes running throughout with individual heaters in different areas. Very noisy because the boat was not insulated so it would cool down quickly.
cragowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:42   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Xslim, love the lines of your boat. She looks like she has many years of life to give to her new skipper.

You need diesel for the engine. Propane has a dangerous component in explosive gases. It is not efficient. You live in a colder climate and you live on a metal boat....ie...metal is wonderful conductive material for passage of heat and cold. You will run into huge hassles with trying to keep a boat warm with propane. Good diesel heaters if set up properly will be safe and not smelly.

Love aluminum monohulls. If you can get the book in your country...and your English is excellent...get Steve Dashew's book called "offshore cruising encyclopedia".... The reason I recommend it is he designed the Deerfoot series of large aluminum offshore cruisers. He has a zillion sea miles under him and has designed many offshore boats and he freely discusses his thoughts on "systems" in boats from rigging, anchoring, heating, cooling, engines, props...etc. I think a man, such as yourself, who is trying to set up his boat correctly would devour his writings. I promise you that it will be worth your time.

Send us links is my opinion for the refit. Would love to follow your progress. Happy for you. If it is not to personal of a question...how much did you pay for her?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:29   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Use diesel for heating; propane for cooking.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 00:30   #12

Boat: Metalu, Diam40, 42ft

Xslim, in case you plan to spend longish periods in cooler climates also in future I would recommend diesel stove (Refleks, Glembring or Dickinsson)
assuming you have suitable space for it and long enough chimney. Couple of years ago built heating system based on Refleks stove+radiators around boat. Works well keeping us warm and dry, consuming 0.2-0.25 L diesel (we rarely need more than nearly min.power) and 0.3 A electricity /h. In case you want to know more just ask.
LouTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 00:49   #13

Thanks for replies!
Good idea about "Offshore cruising encyclopedia" - a pity it's not available in kindle / pdf format. Will need to look for a hardcopy.
About price that I paid: initial asking price was 60k, I bought for 50k. + 1k for inspection + 1k for changing registration + 500 for insurance.

Currently I'm working on the boat only on weekends + 2 evenings during the work week. Still thinking how to keep the boat dry while I'm not there.

About the heating - I initially planned for the diesel heater. I just can't decide airtronic VS hydronic. The reflex heater sounds interesting also. Is it enough to heat up a boat of 36 foot? (the internal volume of my boat is like 36 foot) ?

I'm also thinking if I need a dedicated dehumidifier in addition to heating.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:39   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim View Post
Thanks for replies!
Good idea about "Offshore cruising encyclopedia" - a pity it's not available in kindle / pdf format. Will need to look for a hardcopy.
About price that I paid: initial asking price was 60k, I bought for 50k. + 1k for inspection + 1k for changing registration + 500 for insurance.

Currently I'm working on the boat only on weekends + 2 evenings during the work week. Still thinking how to keep the boat dry while I'm not there.

About the heating - I initially planned for the diesel heater. I just can't decide airtronic VS hydronic. The reflex heater sounds interesting also. Is it enough to heat up a boat of 36 foot? (the internal volume of my boat is like 36 foot) ?

I'm also thinking if I need a dedicated dehumidifier in addition to heating.

Hydronics are substantially more efficient, but for me one of the biggest selling points is that forced air systems are LOUD.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:28   #15

Boat: Metalu, Diam40, 42ft

Refleks Olieovne for lystbåde, hytter og telte - Refleks Olieovne makes many models. 62 might be right size. I bought "suitably" larger one, 61 which is more than enough to my quite well isolated 40/42ft. Only once so far used above 60% of max power when it was -14 C outside(I do work in boat during winter and heat it for reasonable working conditions) In case you don't have doors that are always closed and do not want to include water boiler to heating system, stove w/o water circulation might do fine. A lot simplier installation, less € and no electricity needed. For me having experience also w.forced air heaters, perhaps the main argument for this kind of heat source besides low el.consumption was no circuit boards etc. to possibly fail when one really wants them not to do so.
The main draw back for properly installed stove is a bit more laboring starting up procedure.
LouTai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, enc, refit