Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 19:41   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Cushion Insides . . .

The cushions are all falling apart to the point we removed all of them from the cockpit. The cockpit is now extremely uncomfortable.. They were pretty thin anyways and annoying attached with buttons which just caused ripping.

My plan:

1) THICK. I've been on some boats in the marina where you sit in the cockpit and its like "butter". You can sit there and you never want to leave.. I want to replicate that.

2) Velcro instead of buttons.. Any reasons not to? We have velcro on some parts of the canopy and it seems to work well and not have any wear.. can't say that about the stupid zippers...

3) We're in a location with 60% tax in imports of most items and very limited choice in supplies. So a) Is there any readily available material that I could use for the cushion insides? Of course something that won't mold or mildew easy, will stand up to salt water, etc... Maybe some kind of foam or coiled nylon material? or b) Some marine material that is very inexpensive and easily shipped?
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 19:43   #2

Two ideas I had..

1) Salvaging foam from the old cushions.. but I'll need more..

2) Getting foam from patio cushions.. but not sure how it would hold up to salt, and that kind of stuff is pretty expensive here as well...
Old 13-07-2010, 01:45   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Plan 1 - Yes; I'm sure you've seen all the other threads about foam thickness and types.
Plan 2 - Of course. We had all our zips removed and replaced with velcro. Cheaper than ditching them and starting again.
Plan 3 - Get down to the nearest upholsterer (I bet there is one) and see where they get their foam.
Idea 1 - Cheapskate. But you could always trawl the local skips for old settees etc if budget is a serious problem. Or give a 'boatboy' $10 to do it for you!
Idea 2: We use sun lounger cushions for our cockpit cushions. They're great - slim, lightweight, can be layered for comfort, dry easily.... We have used them on our dive boats for 5 years now (so heavy use, as the boat covers both commercial and recreational diving), and they are still fine! Oh yeah, we use them on the yacht as well!

Incidentally, where do you live? 60% import is quite heavy!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 02:04   #4

Boat: Islander 36
I took out the foam and turned my cushions into bean bags. Couldn't be happier. And my foam wasn't old at all. Just got tired of stumbling over those boxy things and finding stowage for them. Now they cover a multitude of sins. I use them to protect other things, fill gaps that need filling and even sitting on.

Had to make bags to contain the beans first, then put those inside the original covers. One small bean bag chair makes 3 cushions, cheap.
Old 13-07-2010, 10:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Incidentally, where do you live? 60% import is quite heavy!!
St Kitts. Cushion material might be 35%... but there is a good chance its 46 or 60.
Old 13-07-2010, 10:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I took out the foam and turned my cushions into bean bags. Couldn't be happier. And my foam wasn't old at all. Just got tired of stumbling over those boxy things and finding stowage for them. Now they cover a multitude of sins. I use them to protect other things, fill gaps that need filling and even sitting on.

Had to make bags to contain the beans first, then put those inside the original covers. One small bean bag chair makes 3 cushions, cheap.
I was actually considering that too... Im glad to see it wasn't just me! We are shipping in some bean bags for another purpose and I can just load up on more, problem is they wont be here till Dec or so.. ;(

We have a lot of styrofoam peanuts.. was wondering if I could find a way to make them into small pieces.
Old 13-07-2010, 10:44   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
don't know how the taxes will hit but the king serta mattress topper (4") at 99 bucks with free shipping at overstock.com is the best deal I have found. Just cut it up with an electric carving knife to the shapes you need.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 10:47   #8

And its suitable for an exterior cushion?
Old 13-07-2010, 11:04   #9
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Serta Rejuvenator 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper | Overstock.com

standard poly foam. I would use it outdoors, but you might not.

if you have a concern there is closed cell foam that repels water and floats. There is open cell foam that allows the water to drain thru rapidly. I don't see much point in the uv resist if it's covered in uv resist fabric.

The traditional foam will drain and dry just a bit more slowly than the open cell.

But cost wise it will be the best deal.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 12:35   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have you thought about Bottomsiders? I've been on a few boats with them and they are very comfortable.
BottomSiders cockpit cushions for powerboats and sailboats
Old 13-07-2010, 14:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
I was actually considering that too... Im glad to see it wasn't just me! We are shipping in some bean bags for another purpose and I can just load up on more, problem is they wont be here till Dec or so.. ;(

We have a lot of styrofoam peanuts.. was wondering if I could find a way to make them into small pieces.
I'm really doubting it. Espically since some packing peanuts are actually edible (made from corn-somehow) and would be a real mess if they got wet. Which is another real pluse of proper styrofoam beads. Dry really fast, & float (of course). If I go overboard, I want my cushions thrown to me.

Foam is expensive. Period. AND HEAVY compared to the beans (shipping cost). Mine was brand new, but I disposed of it in favor of the beans. If there are thrift stores there, take a look. I dunno. Can't imagine finding even a thrift store here in Indonesia, much less one with a bean bag chair.
Old 13-07-2010, 16:11   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For cockpit cushions the big deal is "closed cell foam" like the cushions from "Bottomsiders." The foam has a "skin" surface that prevent water migration into the foam. Open cell foam like used in beds and below-deck cushions will soak up water from boarding seas and rain. Then mildew and all sorts of other things start growing in them.
- - Unfortunately the pre-made cushions like "Bottomsiders" are thin and not very comfortable for long term butt parking. I put them inside Sunbrella covers to keep the surface from getting abraided or worn. Maybe putting the 2-deep inside a cover would increase comfort. But a consideration is the overall height of the cushions considering the height of the cockpit coamings.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 18:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
For cockpit cushions the big deal is "closed cell foam" like the cushions from "Bottomsiders." The foam has a "skin" surface that prevent water migration into the foam. Open cell foam like used in beds and below-deck cushions will soak up water from boarding seas and rain. Then mildew and all sorts of other things start growing in them.
- - Unfortunately the pre-made cushions like "Bottomsiders" are thin and not very comfortable for long term butt parking. I put them inside Sunbrella covers to keep the surface from getting abraided or worn. Maybe putting the 2-deep inside a cover would increase comfort. But a consideration is the overall height of the cushions considering the height of the cockpit coamings.

IMHO- Better product simply called Dryfast foam. Google it.
Old 13-07-2010, 18:43   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Did that - DryFast Foam is very very open cell so that absorbed water can evaporate. Probably for fresh water sailors it would be a wonderful product. But the salt water environment is something very different. Sea water absorbed into the foam will evaporate but salt crystals (with residual water in them) will remain in the cushion.
- - The biocide in the DryFast Foam should help with things growing - for awhile. Just like bottom paints eventually the abundance of sea life overwhelms any biocide.
- - Comfortable cockpit cushions is one of those never-ending quests. I have noticed that cruisers keep the really comfortable cushions down below during passages and only bring them out when securely anchored or moored. Whenever a cruisers offers their old cushions or mattresses on the morning cruiser VHF nets there is no shortage of others jumping on the offer.
- - The one major bug-a-boo about any foam product is getting it. For cruisers "out-there" getting "closed cell" foam is a non-starter on most islands. The land-side mattress and chair foams are available but really expensive. Some of it is re-cycled from old cushions and mattresses.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 19:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Did that - DryFast Foam is very very open cell so that absorbed water can evaporate. Probably for fresh water sailors it would be a wonderful product. But the salt water environment is something very different. Sea water absorbed into the foam will evaporate but salt crystals (with residual water in them) will remain in the cushion.
- - The biocide in the DryFast Foam should help with things growing - for awhile. Just like bottom paints eventually the abundance of sea life overwhelms any biocide.
- - Comfortable cockpit cushions is one of those never-ending quests. I have noticed that cruisers keep the really comfortable cushions down below during passages and only bring them out when securely anchored or moored. Whenever a cruisers offers their old cushions or mattresses on the morning cruiser VHF nets there is no shortage of others jumping on the offer.
- - The one major bug-a-boo about any foam product is getting it. For cruisers "out-there" getting "closed cell" foam is a non-starter on most islands. The land-side mattress and chair foams are available but really expensive. Some of it is re-cycled from old cushions and mattresses.
Sorry. No

Any residual water that might possibly need to evaporate would be minimal. It simply does not hold water like conventional foam. Hence, the name DRY FAST. Water passes right through it amazingly fast. Lots of it used in seawater conditions doing very well. If it happens to be inside of a cover that wil not allow the water to escape, that's another story.

Try here. http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11690

My "never ending quest".. ended. I carry the original 3 cushions that I had custom made for the boat, now filled with styrofoam "beans". Plus a couple of mostly emptied, vinyl covered bean bag chairs I bought at Target. People were fighting over the first 3. You get up, you loose your cushion. Actually quite a fun game, just not comfortable if you loose.

Two tricks with the beans.

1) DON'T STUFF so many beans in. Maybe Ok for watching TV in a living room, but unworkable in a cockpit. Fill loosely. You will also find they do other magic if you need to protect something while underway.

2) Sew them into multipal smaller "pillows" that you then place inside the covers. They don't have to be too small. Say, one internal pillow for each 16" x 16" area. If a cushion is say 16" wide by 3 ft long, make it with 2 internal pillows. I have those sections seperated because my original cushions were "hinged" (read 2 pockets) for more versatility and easy stowage. That helps keep the beans where I want them, so recommended.

Like I said earlier, they do a lot more than just fit my backside. That's another thread.