Originally Posted by SvenG
According to you he already hurt your boat. Somehow I get the feeling that we are not getting the whole story but the dead horse beating seems like it should be done pretty soon.
Your right , your not getting the whole story. I appreciate your comments and interest and have valued all of the comments and suggestions given to other posts.
I just purchased the boat and in this crappy economy was able to get a great deal on it. Good enough to buy the boat well ahead of my cruising plans. The boat is in reasonably good shape. A few soft spots on the deck. I have considerable experience with soggy decks so this is something I can handle easily. I had it surveyed and the surveyor placed a "fair condition" rating on it mainly because it had a leaky holding system that the seller could not deal with. The surveyor priced it at $39,000
My plans are to have it on the hard
for two years enough time to clean-up the holding tank
situation and to air it out a bit.
The O'day 39 was my dream boat back in the 80's a major factor in my love for sailing. It was important to get good price
on the boat since I wanted to bring the boat home to work on it. Timing was good since specialized boat movers have little to do now. Philadelphia to Wisconsin was $3,000. So it seamed the stars were aligned so I went ahead with a purchase
agreement and ordered a survey.
The survey cost $780 $20/ft. I had spent about 2 hours on the boat while it was on the hard fully rigged. I had a pretty good idea as to what I was buying
. The seller and I talked straight and made a deal. The survey would confirm my findings and help me with the aspects of this much larger boat than what I was accustom to. Most importantly , I was to have this boat on the hard so I wanted to know all items that needed to be repaired.
The survey I received was a joke. He missed many of the items the seller and I had discussed. Water tanks
had been left full over the winter so they were deformed and punctured. Sever galling of the toe rail on both sides of the boat from being rubbed against a concrete piling for months. The rub rail /toe rail assembly was completely abraded through to the glass at one point. One stanchion was bent at 10 to 15%. One stanchion was the wrong diameter for the socket so it sat there loose with the life lines holding it in place. The anchor
pulpit was badly bent. The seller had to explain how to retrieve the anchor
with it. The water in the tanks
was black and smelly. Most importantly , the internal pan that runs through the boat was cracked just forward of the keel were it turns vertical supporting the v-birth. One of the most forward keel bolts
sounds hollow and completely different than all other bolts when struck. It had been taken up more than the others but did not spin free when I got a wrench on it. My guess the boat ran aground hard. Basically the surveyor did a walk through. I was stuck with a last minute decision to go ahead or walk away. I spent two days on the boat in the water going over everything. I went ahead with the sale
I'm not looking forward to hiring another surveyor.
I have pointed his errors out and asked for a refund. I won't hear from him.
Now, back to the boat and the drop. The boat was sitting on a custom built air-ride trailer designed specifically for boats. O'day says in the owners manual that 60% of the load should be on the keel. the balance placed on pads located on the bulk-heads. They had a docking
drawing and I and the driver followed it precisely.
Immediately after the boat fell I checked the location of the boat in relation to the trailer and pads. The boat had shifted two inches starboard so it likely cam down on the port side with more force. The rudder
was clear of any danger
. Once we got the boat off the trailer and on its keel (about 8,000 pounds still held by the crane we carefully looked at the shape of the boat before placing the boat stands. The boat looked fine. Since then,everything has been removed from the boat (including the black water system) and access panels
removed and taken off. I have crawled in spaces few can fit and can not find any spider cracks or anything radiating from a bulkhead tab. All tabs screws were checked, a few tightened. None stripped out and the crack in the pan forward of the keel looks EXACTLY like it did in my photo
taken prior to dropping.
What I have is a bent toe rail and a likely bent propeller
shaft. I did not put a run out gage on the shaft but it binds in the same spot as you turn it. Something it did not do weeks earlier.
Now , I'll need a crane to check out the keel. The bottom paint has several coats of paint all alligatored so no hope of detecting a crack there until the paint and filler is removed.
I pay $190 a year for insurance covering the great lakes
and east coast
north of the hurricane
box. I not going to file a claim with my insurance company.
I'm meeting with the crane company today. I'll let you know how it comes out.