Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 14:10   #1

Cradle - Weld or Wood ?

need to build a cradle
do you recommend welding or wood? Wood is cheaper and easier (for me!)
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 14:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Will this cradle be put on a truck? Wood can be somewhat unpredictable in a dynamic situation and may not be approved by the shipper.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 14:24   #3

shipping ????

Eventually, I could use the cradle for hauling the boat to the coast (I'm in Colorado, not much in the way of "Blue water")

But I was considering my own flatbed and not a commercial mover.
Still in the building stages. It's literally hanging from the beams but as it grows it's getting to big for this method

Its a 22+ cutter. Hanging on three 5000# shipping straps from I beams. But I've got to get it out of the shop before I go any further it's not coming out.

thanks
Old 27-08-2010, 14:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Ok...I had no idea the size of the boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 14:42   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Steel! With at least six pads.
Old 27-08-2010, 15:01   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
How big is it? My boat is close to 6 tons and is 30' and needs the steel cradle big time with 6 pads. Is that 22'+...How much does it weigh? My yard will not deal with anything but steel cradles but it would be good to know how big is the boat in displacement.
Later
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 15:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.sail View Post
Eventually, I could use the cradle for hauling the boat to the coast (I'm in Colorado, not much in the way of "Blue water")

But I was considering my own flatbed and not a commercial mover.
Still in the building stages. It's literally hanging from the beams but as it grows it's getting to big for this method

Its a 22+ cutter. Hanging on three 5000# shipping straps from I beams. But I've got to get it out of the shop before I go any further it's not coming out.

thanks

BOAT weighs (or will weigh) 5000#
Old 27-08-2010, 15:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
By the time you get it strong enough, you will have spent about the same for raw materials either way. Start with a flat frame and accurate measurements, include a strong back for the keel, and hire a welder. It might take a day to put together, less if you precut the parts (either with a cutting torch or a rented cutoff saw and grinder.) Use mild steel and paint it carefully. You can buy the threaded extension poles and spinner nuts. Make it reasonably adjustable and you might be able to sell or rent it later. See if your welder will show you some basics; its fun to melt steel. Wear thick leather gloves and a proper welding helmet, tho; this can be dangerous. Don't do it on a pile of sawdust!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 16:11   #9

Painted mine this spring as I thought it was looking tired and people were asking me what I was doing. Had a bit of rust but didn't want it to take hold. Is 20+ years old. Same as my tired car. I do have a mast cradle for mounting the mast on board for doing a canal voyage but is in rough shape and should probably be scraped for the original over engineering. Then again the mast weights 650lbs. My yard has to pick the boat up with a special cradle lifting thingy as a fork lift will not work. Nonsuches are heavy boats.
Old 27-08-2010, 16:38   #10

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Build with what you are comfortable working with,either wood or steel will build a fine cradle.While i prefer steel a few years ago a friend bought a 25ft full keel sailboat which was in Seattle sitting on Jackstands in a driveway between a house and a fence in the suburbs,we drove out from Minnesota with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck,a rented 10000 lb flatbed trailer and a bunch of tools,we got there,sized up the situation,made a run to home depot for lumber etc and then erected a cradle under the hull and then removed the stands and winched it onto the trailer with 2 come alongs,strapped it down and got a motel for a good nights sleep and were on our way home at first light and yes,the wood cradle worked just fine for a 1000 mile plus road trip.My point is if you are more comfortable working with wood and are not going to be using a commercial boat hauler go for it.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 16:52   #11

Made a trip to New York State to get the cradle as we sailed the boat from the east end of Lake Ontario. Was a special trip as it was the only time in the whole buying of the boat that the truck towing the car carrying trailer was searched. I guess there are alot of cradle smugglers out there. What's up with that I do not know.
My cradle still needs some work and my tarp is getting thin. Perhaps a better one or just a few more rolls of Gorilla tape.
Later
Old 27-08-2010, 17:03   #12

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
By the time you get it strong enough, you will have spent about the same for raw materials either way. Start with a flat frame and accurate measurements, include a strong back for the keel, and hire a welder. It might take a day to put together, less if you precut the parts (either with a cutting torch or a rented cutoff saw and grinder.) Use mild steel and paint it carefully. You can buy the threaded extension poles and spinner nuts. Make it reasonably adjustable and you might be able to sell or rent it later. See if your welder will show you some basics; its fun to melt steel. Wear thick leather gloves and a proper welding helmet, tho; this can be dangerous. Don't do it on a pile of sawdust!
I knew it! They kept saying it was work, but I knew the torch was really a toy. Thanks for revealing the secret! Though I've always had a yen to pick up a torch, given my recent choice in boats, I may have forsworn a crack at it. But then again, wherever there are cruisers beyond the resort areas, there are bound to be a significant % who are welders I would imagine.

Tags
cradle