Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 07:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Had a post - deleted it
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:16   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Cracks in bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirocat View Post
Actually, according to the boatyard, so say the previous owners, this is not stringer delam. It is some kind of filler desgned as a shock absorber in case of grounding. They advised then that it was no big deal. I'm still talking to the boatyard as to how best to proceed. I won't rest well until the cracks are repaired.

Filler cracks, but it doesn't delaminate. Take a feeler gauge and insert it into the crack. See how far in you can insert it. Anything more than 1/4" and it's definitely delam. Cracks tend to be vertical, not horizontal, too. Just from looking at the pic, I'd say you are getting a story here. You can see the fine fracture lines at the edge of the delam if you blow it up. Could be wrong, it's not a good pic, but sure looks like delam from here.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19   #18

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc
Pulled the water tanks and found extensive delam damage.
Thanks Aloha and others, tomorrow I start grinding and will take it down to the fiberglass. I'll glass into the stringers. The sttees have also shown cracks underneath, probably due to the same grounding. Same process of grinding and glassing i suppose.
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thanks Aloha and others, tomorrow I start grinding and will take it down to the fiberglass. I'll glass into the stringers. The sttees have also shown cracks underneath, probably due to the same grounding. Same process of grinding and glassing i suppose.
good on you for not listening to the advice you wanted to hear . a lot of folks keep asking until they get the answer they want..............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

I had similar issues with my boat - the reinforcement under the settees had rotted away and the bilge design was just very poor - no stringers - the whole hull would flatten out on the hard and the flexing was fatiguing the glass.

I had to pull out all of this rotten marine plywood and replace with new stringers from bow to stern. The hull is a lot stiffer now. My port side settee had cracked from fatigue so I simply glassed the liner after the hull repair.

They likely lived with this for some time but best not to wait for complete failure!

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

If you have a delaminated stringer you should seriously consider getting professional help. That is a repair which is beyond the skill set of most amateurs. It will also require a very large amount of grinding, with the associated equipment. I would not recommend you attempt it unless you are an experienced boat builder.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

My boat is likely smaller but here is the process that I went through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	75513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149 (2).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	75514  

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	75515  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07   #23

Here is what I've done this weekend. I am giving the surveyor hell for missing this. I asked for a refund.
The liner is about 1 cm thick. I cut away the damaged bit but none of it really adheres to the fiberglass below. Should I grind all the way back to the stringers before glassing? The fiberglass below is wet but perfectly intact, as are the stringers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1259514313.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	75614   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1163597424.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	75615  

Name:	image-931221239.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	75616  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25   #24

Why do you think the FG is wet? Did water enter through the hull or seep down from the (wet) bilge? Have you done a through external examination? Either way, will the new material adhere to wet FG?
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is what I've done this weekend. I am giving the surveyor hell for missing this. I asked for a refund.
The liner is about 1 cm thick. I cut away the damaged bit but none of it really adheres to the fiberglass below. Should I grind all the way back to the stringers before glassing? The fiberglass below is wet but perfectly intact, as are the stringers.

That's a bad one. Those are delaminated floors, not stringers. It would have taken a serious grounding to do this on most boats. Check bulkhead tabbing for more delam, stringers, engine beds, engine alignment, grind keel bare to check for repairs, etc. etc. This boat was probably fairly damaged. Could be just what you're looking at, could be more.

Definitely grind that delam tabbing back to the floor timber, at least. I'd put a moisture meter on them too, in case they are wet wood timbers under the glass. It's the sort of thing that can happen when you ignore damage and go sailing instead. Make sure to grind in a good taper at the ends too to tie in to good solid non delaminated glass.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

I would get some boat yard advice...however

I would dehumidify before going any further - try to get as much moisture out as possible. If we are talking about just the liner, I would not worry about removing back to the stringer - unless I wanted to inspect to see if the grounding had any impact on the bond between the hull and the stringer(s). You don't know what is hiding under the liner.

It's a lot of work but may be worth the inspection - again - get the opinion of an expert at a local yard who does this kind of work - or the boat builder if they are still around (in existence)

my two cents!
Old 09-02-2014, 23:35   #27

Great Advice Minaret and Aloha,

Stringers and bulkhead tsbs look good. No evidence of delaminating. The bilgewater has been seeping into the cracks for nearly 15 years. The biggest challenge may be to get it dry enough for glassing. I am reluctant to leave heaters or dehumidifiers on when not on the boat. Seen articles of charred remains due to just that.
Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2014, 00:03   #28
Marine Service Provider

The question I have is "If there is no cracking below the liner, it this simply cosmetic cracking? Understanding that the water seepage is not ideal - I wonder if it is a concern that is being over analyzed? If you check the stringers for moisture and they appear to be sound then I am thinking you could simply glass over to seal the removed area.

How thin was the liner?

I would worry less about a de-humidifier than a heater - the boat I race on every week has a de-humidifier running in it 24 hours a day. It's amazing how must moisture it picks up.
Old 10-02-2014, 00:21   #29

Are you trying to do this repair in the water? Bad idea if you are. Get the boat on the hard, rinse and clean the repair area thouroughly, grind repair area with 24 grit grinder, and retab. The photos seem to show stringers, not a liner. If that is the case, retabbing will be enough. If you can't dry the area out, you will not be able to glass it.
If we are looking at a true liner, you need to inspect all of the floor supports (essentially stringers ) for adherence to the outer hull. Big fix if they are broken free.
pscottharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43   #30

Thanks Aloha,

I suspect exactly this. It is not at all a structural problem. I still cannot tolerate cracks and water in my bilge. I will redo it for aestetic reasons alone. However, I wants some pros to come in to make sure that it is not structural, and if it is, how to proceed to reinforce it correctly. Meanwhile, I cut and dry and wait.