So, she's finally patched up and back in the water. Just eight thousand euros, a month of hard work and two weeks on the hard
. In the end, we cut away the damaged pan, ground out the gelcoat
,(my personal nightmare), and reglassed from the keel
joint up toward the stringers and vertically up the bulkhead tabs. Over a hundrrd kilos of glass in all. My engineer
calculated the thickness to come back to spec for the original build.
We found that the keel has been torqued on the grounding and was repaired with about 30 pounds of puddy, which was delamming. Probably some external glassing happened then as well., although the previous owners swore to me that they had done no repairs
to the keel.
Took advantage on the hard
to replace all through hulls and seacocks. Just gelcoated the bilge
. Now, time to reinstall all of the tanks
, and rebuild
the furniture-one giant tetris game
Then, we can go back to the electrical
rewiring job that we were doing when we first discovered the cracks!
The good news is that I know my boat inside and out now; she is stronger and more sound; and we've met some great people with excellent advice along the way!
Hope to bump into some of you in exotic anchorages
and buy you a cold one.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Innata, Sunbeam 44cc