Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 14:45   #1

Covering gelcoat with top coat polyeurethane

Hi There,

I am looking at giving her a fresh coat ... Then something looks different as I prep my high gloss for a fresh and I sand to a point and what looks to be gelcoat. Most all of my deck is anti skid except the 2' trim around antiskid. I looked back to discover ,the Columbia 39 was largely coated with Gelcoat in those days.
How do I know for sure, if she hasn't been redone and what to top off the gelcoat if I can.
The antiskid looks to be the press pattern type on top of surprisingly good dry top deck.
I feel I need to paint all anti-skid and glossy trim.
So, I turn to the more experienced, You! Any suggestions??
Thanks Dant
dtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 14:46   #2

Re: Covering gelcoat with top coat polyeurethane

Is the boat painted now or gel coat? If gel I would try and restore it. Some sanding with super fine grit and lots of buffing with compounds goes a long long way.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 14:54   #3

Thanks Hobopacket
I am not sure it is powdery under surface like gelcoat and not paint. Its the high gloss I cant seem to get it back when trying to wax just a small area, for test. Wax is even funny on it. I am not used to working with gelcoat only pro finishes and eurethanes

Note; the color stayed the same for what more than several layers of paint would be. idk

dt
Old 05-04-2017, 15:40   #4

Sounds like you need a good rubbing compound and a electric buffing wheel. Try several times as directed on the bottle. Then wax. Should restore to a good finish. Plenty of good YouTube videos on gelcoat restoration.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 18:13   #5

Well I contacted West Marine and they suggested Prep the surface as instructed and apply Brightside directly on the gelcoat.. Specifically because it has a wide color selection.
Its a marine topside polyurethane. I'll sure post if this doesnt work.
thanks all
Old 05-04-2017, 19:43   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My whole boat is covered with Interlux Topsides. It's a great paint if prepped well. Depending on the UV exposure it'll last from 2 - 4 years. Then just a light fine sanding and repaint.
If you use the two part paint, it'll last longer but more expensive.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35   #7

Boat: Woodward 47

You can re apply the gelcoat. It will out last Awl grip over and over.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:18   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Sounds like you need a good rubbing compound and a electric buffing wheel. Try several times as directed on the bottle. Then wax. Should restore to a good finish. Plenty of good YouTube videos on gelcoat restoration.
I did try several times as directed on the bottle. Actually it was more than several times. I got a good buzz and ended up calling a professional. He did a great job on the paint and I had several fun days with the bottles while he was busy working.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:29   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator-ken View Post
You can re apply the gelcoat. It will out last Awl grip over and over.
It's a lot of work and has to be sprayed on for a good finish. A professional painter would hesitate w/o a spray booth and proper equipment available. It's a two part mix that cures quickly and can ruin a spray gun if not cleaned immediately. It's basically polyester resin with a color added.
Old 06-04-2017, 18:36   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

Painting the deck is a hassle and a half, so you want to do it as few times as possible. As earlier posters have mentioned, well-prepped and applied one-part polyurethanes may last as long as 4 years. Having to re-paint every 4 years (or less!) is not as few times as possible. We spot tested Brightsides and it held up to foot traffic for less than a week. We then used an Interlux 2-part (after prep & primer) that lasted about a dozen years, until we were tempted to try Interdeck on some of the most worn areas. Interdeck has held up about three years, but is now coming off in large chips. We are getting ready to go the 2-part route again. Since prep work for each of the paints is essentially the same: mask, sand, dust, solvent wash, then paint, painting once every 12 years sure beats doing it three times every 12 years, even if the paint requires careful mixing and applying techniques.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 20:56   #11

I contacted Boatworks .com on youtube and he recommended working the gelcoat rather than open another can of more work. Im going back to Rockport next week with an open mind. Repairing all gelcoat tiny cracks starting to appear in tight areas, with dremel and patch. However matching may be sort. You guys have been so helpful and a true asset in my delima. I want you to know this. Thank you
I go back with a suggested pressures and different typical compounds to use with rotary buffer, even the speeds to use with different compounds. The information is there for us older folks in this technical world. I have got more answers here on cs than any where. Hope you guys are awake when I call out when I am out at sea. LOL
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrue View Post
Hi There,

I am looking at giving her a fresh coat ... Then something looks different as I prep my high gloss for a fresh and I sand to a point and what looks to be gelcoat. Most all of my deck is anti skid except the 2' trim around antiskid. I looked back to discover ,the Columbia 39 was largely coated with Gelcoat in those days.
How do I know for sure, if she hasn't been redone and what to top off the gelcoat if I can.
The antiskid looks to be the press pattern type on top of surprisingly good dry top deck.
I feel I need to paint all anti-skid and glossy trim.
So, I turn to the more experienced, You! Any suggestions??
Thanks Dant
If the existing gelcoat s thick enough and restorable, restore the original gel coat.

If not, recoat with gelcoat. Will last 20 plus years.

If not, 2 pack paint. Will last 10 plus years

If not, 1 part paint. Will last 5 plus years.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:28   #13

Rod Brandon thanks for your suggestions, after lengthy deliberation and discovery, I must say you and 90% of respondents to this thread are in agreement.

Since original posting; I put the compounds and buffer to it and was very pleased . The 40year old gelcoat sprang back to life. I will add surprisingly, I have found no weak areas such as non polish able or thin areas as yet. Now...This project we'll set back as almost complete, and move to the next.
Thanks for all your help. dtrue

Tags
gelcoat