Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2011, 10:17   #1

Boat: Switch 51
Countertop Material

I am replacing the plywood and laminate galley counters on my catamaran. I am hoping to do it with a lightweight composite material instead of formica on plywood. Any ideas for a corian-looking material without the weight? This is a cat so I have to keep the weight down.
SVNeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41 Ohana
Re: Countertop Material

There are plenty of threads that have gone over this issue. If you are doing the work yourself the Corian materials requires a few specialty tools. The part that throws the expense factor out of whack is the cost of the epoxy to glue the materials together. I redid my countertops and used stainless steel over plywood and then went with wooden fiddles. If I were to do it again I would use the Corian and wooden fiddles. This would have saved the cost of the epoxy and made the Corian more price competitive. What the Admiral liked about the SS was that you could set hot items on the counter and not worry about burning the counters. Here is a link to some pictures
Fair Winds,

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Re: Countertop Material

A quick search found: - Lightweight Alternative & Replacement Granite Countertops

Honeycomb Core Panels with Solid Surfacing - Lightweight Solid Surface Panel by Nida-Core

LamiLight - Lightweight Laminated Countertop and Surface Material

Microthin Granite Panels : Marble Master

They all claim to be light weight....I guess that's relative.
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: