Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 07:11   #16

Boat: Catalina 350
There are plenty of fixer-uppers that you can sail while you work on her, which motivates you to keep going. A project like this can have you stuck in a boatyard for months if not years, and the only thing that will motivate you is you already sunk a bunch of money in it. Eventually even seeing it causes regret and anxiety, so you don't enjoy it and increasingly neglect it. Take a walk around any boatyard and you will see many such project boats rotting away. You really don't want one of those!
Sailor Bob 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:13   #17

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII
Re: Could this Boat be Repaired

Looks like a parts boat to me...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:28   #18

Boat: Monk 36

Interesting adjustment to the sheer line.
Walk away from it, really fast.
Having said that - it could be repaired. Just a matter of time, money and ability. And perseverance.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:03   #19
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

A different perspective here, if I were buying this boat from you after it was repaired, and I found this picture or found indications of such a repair. Whether you told me about it or not, I would walk, no run away from the deal.

Personally, while I could see that it could be fixed, (with enough money, virtually anything can be) the question has to be WHY?
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:18   #20

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
To repair a boat with that damage, you would find a sister boat.

Take a mold off the bow of the sister boat.

Lay up a part in the mold, a couple of inches larger than the damage.

Take out the bulkheads and stuff that are in the way of the damage in the boat, so you can have easy access to the damage from the inside.

Using the new part as a template, cut out the damaged portion on the boat.

Fit the new part into the boat. It should fit closely with minimum air space showing. Tack/glue the new part to the boat, finally filling the whole seam(s) in the outside fiberglass and the inside liner with glue.

Tab the inside seam competently. This tabbing provides the structural strength for the repaired boat.

Replace the inside bulkheads and things, and finish and paint the outside.

I have seen this done by the fiberglass guys at Nanny Cay boatyard on Tortola, BVI. For me, it was a most impressive piece of work. They do that level of work all the time.

The third time you do it, it's not an insurmountable job. There are two things...

(1) It's great fun to work on a boat. Put yourself in that frame of mind.

(2) The easiest way to get a boat is to get a second job and work at it, putting all the money you earn from that job into a bank account, then when there's enough money, buy the boat you want.
Not too sure about this procedure. you must remove all the damaged laminate and then the good laminate needs to be scarfed in, 12 times the thickness of the layup. what is being repaired here amounts to a cold joint. being on the bow would give me second thoughts. but, like they say , anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:23   #21

One of the oft repeated themes on this forum is "no boat is free". There are too many working sailboats available at very low $ to take on a project like that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:50   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The boat could certainly be repaired to good as new or better condition.

It would certainly cost way, way more than the boat is worth just in materials. Factor in labor and this would be a huge waste of money.

Find the same boat in good structural shape for a few grand.

Classic case of a very expensive free boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 10:32   #23

If you've ever seen some of the original pictures of collector cars that are little more than piles of rust in a field turned into shiny hot rods...

of course you could do the same here but it would be the equivilent of finding an old rusted out k-car and bringing it back to show room condition.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 13:21   #24

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

Talked to the owner and the damage resulted from a hurricane and the boat sunk. He wants $1000 for it. I am not convinced that the bow could be replaced and still be at least as strong as it was when constructed even if a lot of money and material was thrown at it so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks for the input.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 13:53   #25

I need to say I love fixing old boats but, it needs to be a great boat with that kind of damage. I have worked with fiberglass quite a bit and that bow damage would not scare me at all. Looks like 2 weeks labor and $400 bucks of poly resin and Matt, cloth etc. a pretty fun job and easily made stronger than new.
But, the boat sunk. That means a ton more work and cash,time. It looks to be a run of the mill sailboat, nothing special or valuable about it. Been sitting a long time. The owner will need to pay to get rid of it.
So yes, the damage can be repaired rather easily and cheaply DIY. BUT the boat is less than worthless it's a burden. Pass on it, you can find a way better deal with time and effort.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Talked to the owner and the damage resulted from a hurricane and the boat sunk. He wants $1000 for it. I am not convinced that the bow could be replaced and still be at least as strong as it was when constructed even if a lot of money and material was thrown at it so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks for the input.
Good decision, boat may not be worth "free". I've not taken a Catalina 27 with working diesel for free and a 30 Islander with new sails, new rigging, new yanmar engine and new furling for $5000 in the last 3 years.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 15:34   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
Not too sure about this procedure. you must remove all the damaged laminate and then the good laminate needs to be scarfed in, 12 times the thickness of the layup. what is being repaired here amounts to a cold joint. being on the bow would give me second thoughts. but, like they say , anything can be repaired if you throw enough money at it.

I would suggest 24-1 would be more appropriate for this sort of repair.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 15:38   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
I need to say I love fixing old boats but, it needs to be a great boat with that kind of damage. I have worked with fiberglass quite a bit and that bow damage would not scare me at all. Looks like 2 weeks labor and $400 bucks of poly resin and Matt, cloth etc. a pretty fun job and easily made stronger than new.
But, the boat sunk. That means a ton more work and cash,time. It looks to be a run of the mill sailboat, nothing special or valuable about it. Been sitting a long time. The owner will need to pay to get rid of it.
So yes, the damage can be repaired rather easily and cheaply DIY. BUT the boat is less than worthless it's a burden. Pass on it, you can find a way better deal with time and effort.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

If we add to the cost of two weeks labor for one and $400 in materials, your projected outlay, the cost of the haulout and two weeks lay days (optimistic), and the cost of the time and materials necessary to paint the hull after repair, as that would be a very large color match, I think you see we are quickly approaching the cost of the boat, and that's without paying ourselves anything for our two weeks of no doubt very very long days. This boat is only worth a couple of grand in good shape.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 19:40   #29

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Talked to the owner and the damage resulted from a hurricane and the boat sunk. He wants $1000 for it.
He what?? $1000!? For that piece of junk? Baloney!! Don't bother any more, not with that boat or that owner.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 20:00   #30

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Are there $2000+ of parts on it worth salvaging, otherwise it's only good for an artificial reef. Maybe the keel is worth something?