Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 09:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I reckon Oh Joy doesn't fit that theorem. She has a Perkins 50 and weighs in at a svelte 14,500. Of course, at full throttle, that big Perkins will drive her up on the bow wave and bury the transom. Kinda funny to pop a wheelie in a sailing yacht but a waste of weight. I only had to use all of that power once to claw off some rocks in 60+ at Point Wilson but at least I could go to windward when the ferry couldn't....
For me...this is when it matters.
When I re powered I went from 75 to 85hp...I displace 39,000lbs.
When I get it all wrong...I want the power to get away.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 19:22   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
When was that the rule of thumb? Or was that an "absolute minimum" sort of rule of thumb?

What I have always heard as the rule of thumb for a good sized diesel for a sailboat is 2hp/1,000lbs. You can do okay with a little smaller. You might want to go a little larger. But something in that neighborhood will power your sailboat well and allow you to power into moderate winds and currents.
My bad, I double checked my old books and some of my new ones, 1hp/1000lb will get you hull speed in dead calm. 1.5hp/1000lb or so depending on hull shape/windage/rigging drag/etc will get you 2kt in 20kt w/ 2nm fetch.

Some sources use hp/ton and remembering values and doing conversions in my head I didn't keep the numbers straight.

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 22:24   #18

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
If you have a boat with a Perkins in it, and you do the work, you can do a complete major overhaul for less than USD $1,ooo.oo
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:47   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
If you have a boat with a Perkins in it, and you do the work, you can do a complete major overhaul for less than USD $1,ooo.oo
Depends on what Perkins...Try that with my 4-154.. you wont get very far

I love my Perkin's...but being an out of production and small number build engine in the first place, makes it very difficult to find parts for let alone pay for them.

It will come completely out and replaced with a John Deere that I will de-tune to around 65 hp down from its current 80 if and when that day ever comes..I have the engine picked out ready to marinize for it here in my fleet already..Its in a machine I use almost every day at work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_4041.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	19560  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:41   #20

Boat: Schock 35
What boat and engine do you have now?
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:42   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
, I'm considering budgeting for a new more powerful engine.

How much is a ballpark to do this? Is this a dumb idea?
Dumb idea.
Buy the boat you want with the donk you want.

Mine has a 56hp engine and has 4,100 hours on the clock when I bought it ex-charter. Back in Australia I thought I would just get a quote to have a Yanmar chappie come and rip right through the engine to make it good as new.
he quoted $13,000 (close to $13,000 USD too!)
But he said for $15,000 he would put in a new one.

Man, I thought I've just been lied to twice!

So if you really want to blow $15k that your WON'T recover when you sell the boat then get a new engine.
Otherwise just buy a boat where the donk is the right size.... and works!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:03   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I can't imagine paying someone upwards of $13,000 to overhaul a 3 or 4 cylinder engine. It is really beyond my comprehension.

20 years ago my semi-mechanical brother overhauled his VW engine. It is done primarily with common hand tools with the machining work sent out to a machine shop. He did an outstanding job.

Sure the parts list for a marine diesel can be $2,000 and the machine shop might nick another $800-$1000. Throw in another $2,000 for accessories (pumps, alternator etc.) $500 for consumables and the rest is labor.

Save $7,500+ and do the work yourself. Anyone who can read and pay attention to detail can overhaul an engine if you have the right manual.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:13   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Save $7,500+ and do the work yourself. .
ROTFLAMO

You haven't seen me holding one of those wrenchy thingies.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
ROTFLAMO

You haven't seen me holding one of those wrenchy thingies.
Mark - You missed this part...

Quote:
Anyone who can read
Oh, wait. The read part. Ironic. Isn't it...

You are still my hero dude. When your donk needs overhaul I'll fly in wherever you are and do it on a dirt floor and you'll still save at least $1,000. Well, before the beer bill anyway...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:40   #25

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
prekins rebuild

Quote:
good luck i want to know where you get your parts
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 13:33   #26

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Stillraining
Perkins were about the most manufactuered 4 ccyl made. The same engines went in boars and industrial equipment such as, Fordm Massey Ferguson, John Deere and many others around the wirld.

You can find Perkins parts at just about any port there is

Jenny2
Try this site if you need parts, overhaul kit was 369 pounds/ which is under $600 USD at todays exchange rate...
Parts 4 Engines, Perkins Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits and Spares, Find your Perkins Engine Overhaul Kit and Spare parts here worked for me and some other local boats at the marina...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 13:54   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
if your boat can handle the extra weight i too would rather have a more powerful engine. when navigating thru a pass with big rocks on either side you might like the increase in horsepower
Old 24-09-2010, 14:25   #28

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Stillraining
Perkins were about the most manufactuered 4 ccyl made. The same engines went in boars and industrial equipment such as, Fordm Massey Ferguson, John Deere and many others around the wirld.

You can find Perkins parts at just about any port there is

Jenny2
Try this site if you need parts, overhaul kit was 369 pounds/ which is under $600 USD at todays exchange rate...
Parts 4 Engines, Perkins Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits and Spares, Find your Perkins Engine Overhaul Kit and Spare parts here worked for me and some other local boats at the marina...
Hi UnicornDreams

Well I rest my case...I went to your site and they don't list 1 part for a 4-145...I shot them off an email more as proof to you rather then me..

Believe me i have spent days on the phone and Internet trying to round up the parts I have needed in the past...I have discovered a couple workarounds like cylinder liners for other engines with the same bore that could be made to work with some machine work to shorten them... but some Items are just non existent period...Like timing gear sets.
I agree with you on the 107/8 and even the 236...but no way on the 154.

I bought the LAST complete gasket set know to the US distributor a year and a half ago....I found one more available looking for just the exhaust manifold gaskets at Foley Engines...we don't need to go there in this discussion I hope.

I found a brand new heat exchanger once sitting on a guys self for 3200.00...Id put that 1/2 down on the tig welder I want and make my own before id do that..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 15:10   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
is not the hp that gets you out of trouble at sea--is the brains in yer head. we had a 37 seidelmann sloop in the gulf of mexico for a yr or nearly one--and the engine is 30 hp yanmar. my ericson has 20 hp yanmar. these yannies are awesome--just enough power to keep forward momentum in a storm -into the wind and seas... was perfect. didnt eat diesel fuel --was perfect. how fast do you want a sailboat to go , anyway--they dont plane... i just went from 30 hp to 54hp in my formosa by going from dead 4-107 westerfreke to 4-108 PERKINS. yes, perkins rocks. yannie does also, but is a lot pricier. i love both my diesels. cant be beat. nor would i want to take up any more of my precious interior with any larger engine. remember-larger engines are just that--LARGER!!!! they take up lots of room and do not sit same on the stringers and is a pain in the arse---- and there is always the shaft needing replacement and the prop needing resized...and more very pricey changes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 15:59   #30

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
repower

While I agree that you may not get the new engine cost back I thing the boat will be more valuable with a new engine than a 20 -30 year old unit. Perhaps even close to the cost of the engine. That said who cares! you should be repowering to get a suitable, reliable engine for your own cruising benifit. Many production boats were slightly underpowered and can benifit from a few more puppies under the "Hood". The process can be very gratifying and a great learning experience. The boat, in the end, is worth much more for having a new engine. Even after a few years when you move up a few meters LOA.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit