Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2013, 16:05   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Cost of Alwgripping the topsides

I'm in the market for an older 45'+ sloop and I have a strong preference for navy blue topsides. Needless to say, that narrows my options considerably. Out of curiosity I asked my broker to get a quote on doing the work on one 47' boat we're looking at. The hull is white and is in good shape, the boat being a 2006. He came back with a figure of $350/foot. I was stunned (he was too, lol). This number was from Haven Harbor in Rock Hall, MD here on the Chesapeake which he said is known for good work.

Is this cost in line with what one can expect to pay for a quality job? I expect this is the kinda thing where you get what you pay for, and that bigger boats are more expensive per foot because of the increased surface area of their broader beam, but that number seems on the high side. I also assume the cost is higher if you're changing the color of the boat, particularly from white to some dark color, but that might be a wrong assumption.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Old 21-02-2013, 16:19   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Cost of Alwgripping the topsides

Time for a little more back & forth with the broker/painter....seek more info, and haggling room. Any work you can do yourself, especially the prep? What exactly is included in the quote, anyway? What was the condition of the boat used as an example? Any examples of the quality of the painter's previous work? Still, the price doesn't sound too far out of range from what I've been hearing from so far away. My wallet is cringing in sympathy.

Old 21-02-2013, 19:23   #3

Boat: Hylas 44
I would not put that much mooney into an older boat just for cosmetics. Learn to live with a white hull or keep looking.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:32   #4

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
Is this cost in line with what one can expect to pay for a quality job?
You might find cheaper, but that's in line with prices in my area. The key to the final bill is the prep work, not the painting. Is there a rub rail? How many boot stripes? Cove trim? Is the toe rail aluminum or wood? If wood, now might be the time to refinish it. And so it goes.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:48   #5

Boat: csy 37

based on what i paid in titusville florida it sounds excessively high.

my boat, a csy 37, is a two tone topside boat. the upper 1/5 of the boat, above the rub rail, was maroon gelcoat; the remainder a cream colored gelcoat. after 30+ years in the sun the maroon was faded beyond reclamation. the local awlgrip guy did it for $1000. from that i can surmise that he would have completed the entire hull for maybe four or five times that amount, or $5000. so figure $135 a foot.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:59   #6
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

That is in line with prices in Oriental, NC. $3-350 a foot. The money goes into the prep, mostly. After watching several boats get painted this summer by the crew at Sailcraft, and also painting our own boat, I can see where the money goes.

A 43 foot Morgan had it's topsides painted red. The cost of the paint alone was something like $1k for Awlcraft.

Chris
Old 21-02-2013, 20:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Having spent the last 2.5 years working on our deck, it is ALL in the prep. 98%. If you are willing to do the prep work, paying someone to put a couple of coats of spray on, is only a tiny fraction of the cost.

Since it's an older boat, you might consider rolling/tipping Interlux Perfection. Here's how our deck turned out:

Macintosh 47 Deck Project Pics - Perfection
Old 21-02-2013, 20:45   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Thanks guys. This is all helpful information.

I'm still looking for the right boat and it's going to take awhile since I'm going to be living aboard. My preference for blue is something that goes into the process but it is by no means an ironclad requirement. I simply wanted to get an idea of how much it would cost so I could factor that into my decision making and plans.

The 2006 boat is actually the newest boat that I'm considering. I could well end up in a late '80s or early '90s boat. There are a few Hinckleys and Bristols that have caught my eye and are in my price range, but need some TLC.

I'm more than comfortable doing the prep work myself. I have most of the equipment I need and have been working around boats for a long time. If prep comprises a good percentage of the cost then I'll investigate seeing if that is an option. I'm in Annapolis so there is likely someone who I can have come to my yard to do the actual painting.

Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: