Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05   #1

Location: Startford, Ontario - boat currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Kaiulani 34
Correct/best rust converter

Hello:
I am currently in the process of replacing the wooden rub rail bolted to the side of my steel hull. After 15 years, I tired of spot fixing rust which appeared behind the rub rail, so it all was removed and I am rebuilding the contact surface.

In the past I have used a product which contained hydrochloric acid to convert the rust. It turned the rust black, but necessitated flushing with water before applying any sealing coat. I am told to stop the acid from continuing to work.

During my recent trip to the local chandler, I purchased the recommended converter that turned out to be phosphoric based.It turns the rust mid brown and leaves a chalky residue on the surface which can be scratched off with a finger nail. I was also told not to flush the surface as with hydrochloric acid.

Due to colour differences, I’m not sure the phosphoric has done what is expected. Plus I’m inclined to take a green scrubby to the phosphoric surface before starting the epoxy layers, to provide a solid surface.

Can any one suggest what is the correct/best rust converter to use?
Will applying hydrochloric acid onto the phosphoric converted rust provide any benefit at this stage? I appreciate any views.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	169292  
Mike Two Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:51   #2

Re: Correct/best rust converter

Following
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Correct/best rust converter

Actually I want to think all rust converters are osphoric acid based.
Check spelling I’m sure it’s incorrect.
What I’m led to believe is they convert iron oxide to iron phosphate I think and that is why it’s effective in stopping rust.

However there are rust removers, like naval jelly, that is a powerful acid meant to remove the iron oxide, but if you want to use a rust converter, then you want to leave a layer of iron oxide, you don’t want clean steel.

In my experience, the rust converters are more effective long term than the rust removers. However maybe if careful steps to properly treat, prime and paint maybe getting to clean steel is better. My use is mostly for things like engine blocks etc where fully stripping and starting over isn’t likely.

I did a little Googling, there are other ways apparently to “convert” the iron oxide layer, but they all seem to use some form of acid, tannic acid is another one.
This link seems genuine.

All the good converters I have used did turn rust black, very black. I have used one that turned it a greenish color, and it was not that effective.
https://www.jcer.info/best-rust-converters/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:30   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually rust *removers* are usually phosphoric acid, which is also why CocaCola syrup does such a good job of it. (Lots of phosphoric acid in it.) I don't recall what the real "converters" have in them, but the most effective ones actually convert the rust into a black material which IIRC is similar to magnetite, a very stable form of iron mineral ore. I've used Loctite Extend "rust neutralizer" for this, and the ingredients are mainly trade secrets. You can take a look at

https://www.whatsinproducts.com/file...eutralizer.pdf

but aside from an unspecified polymer and a slight amount of an unnamed organic acid, it doesn't say much. Like most Loctite products, if you follow directions it works pretty well. There are others on the market, usually they look like white school glue when you brush them on, and turn the rust into a black hard crust as they cure.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:58   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am curious to see what others come up with too.. I have used Ospho and Naval Jelly and then rust inhibiting primer too.
I am curious about this stuff, but haven't tried it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CRETZW..._t2_B000C02CDG
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 14:47   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Well worth buying -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-boat-.../dp/B0070QRME4

Best of all is shot blasting to SA 2.5 then lots epoxy paint, but so often just not possible and there is no magic bullet..

So after many years best I've come across is as outlined in the metal boat maintenance book. Chip, grind, needle gun to get the steel as clean as possible then soak in phos acid, leave for a while then wash and wire brush and more acid. The acid dissolves some surface rust but also converts the more tenacious rust to blackish iron phosphate ( I think) . Then wash again, and again, sanding discs on a grinder or something to get as close as poss to clean metal and get rid of the bulk of iron phosphate then wash again. Then I use a blowtorch soon after the last wash to get the steel completely dry then straight on with your epoxy of choice. Some are tolerant of less then perfect preparation. Then maybe 8 coats and hope for the best....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 16:22   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Give a try to Brunox Epoxy.
http://www.brunox.com/website/produc...-Spray-en.html
It is a converter and epoxy primer at the same time. I haven't used it yet, but a couple of friends had use it with satisfaction.
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 17:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most of the above remedies just wall off the rust. The others are acids.
The best rust remover I've found is Archoil AR5100. It's organic, biodegradable and actually dissolves the rust leaving clean metal. It's from a company that specializes in products using nano technology. Archoil has other products for oil and fuel I use. If interested archoil.com
Rusted metal I have treated contains no rust and is clean down to base metal. It comes as a concentrate and mixes with water up to 16:1. I've only used the most diluted mix. I resurrected badly rusted pliers found in the bilge salt water. Soaked overnight, it removed all the rust and the pliers operated smoothly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR5100-compressed.pdf (138.3 KB, 95 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 19:54   #9

Tx for Archoil link, must try this stuff.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 00:05   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Most of the above remedies just wall off the rust. The others are acids.
The best rust remover I've found is Archoil AR5100. It's organic, biodegradable and actually dissolves the rust leaving clean metal. It's from a company that specializes in products using nano technology. Archoil has other products for oil and fuel I use. If interested archoil.com
Rusted metal I have treated contains no rust and is clean down to base metal. It comes as a concentrate and mixes with water up to 16:1. I've only used the most diluted mix. I resurrected badly rusted pliers found in the bilge salt water. Soaked overnight, it removed all the rust and the pliers operated smoothly.
Not convinced I'm afraid..

I've spent a long time getting steel shiny clean and would put money on all the rust being gone.. Then on a really hot day apply phosphoric acid - fizzes and pops as the acid reacts with the rust still deep down in the microscopic pores in the steel, ain't no magic bullet...

Unfortunately the only way to test is prepare identical sections of steel with the various wonder cures, leave the sections in identical conditions and come back in 8 or so years, otherwise observer bias takes over.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 06:05   #11

Guys! The absolute best Rust cinverter is Rust -Mort orange label. Get it in 1 gallon jug its the best and nothing even comes close. Mix it with eaither a little dish soap or wd40 to keep it sticky so it doesnt just run off the sides and it sticks to stuff. Ive tryed them all and rust mort is th ebest. U can spray it on in a spray bottle or a acid pressure sprayer and buy it on ebay or amazon. Trust me. Its the best.
Mikemike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 06:51   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Much depends on the surface you want: a rust converter like Ospho leaves a black coating. If you don’t mind painting it, then the best primer I know is POR15. (POR stands for Paint Over Rust).

Most other professional coatings require sand blasting or similar.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 06:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Much depends on the surface you want: a rust converter like Ospho leaves a black coating. If you don’t mind painting it, then the best primer I know is POR15. (POR stands for Paint Over Rust).

Most other professional coatings require sand blasting or similar.
Its real simple: The Best rust converter that kills rust the absolute best is Rustmort the orange and black label. If you use anything on this planet earth other than rustmort than you are waisting money. Period.
Old 15-12-2022, 07:13   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike42 View Post
Its real simple: The Best rust converter that kills rust the absolute best is Rustmort the orange and black label. If you use anything on this planet earth other than rustmort than you are waisting money. Period.
That is just an Ospho knock-off brand so nothing special and works just the same (oxalic acid)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 07:20   #15

Its not a knock off of anything, and its made by SEM top notch. Have u used it? No you havent but i have used it and used alot of others and i seen with my own eyes so unless u can say the same than you dont know what your talking about so why say you know something but you never used it? Stop putting out speculative PERSONAL assumptions that arent facts when i have used it and can give u facts on this stuff. Thanks. Anything u say is hogwash if u havent seen it yourself like i have. Dont waiste your time on here saying speculative comments.