Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 17:06   #1

Boat: Coronado 25 - Breaking Wind
Coronado 25 Refit / Rebuild

I am well into a total rebuild of a Coronado 25 sailboat. Thought I'd share my experience here.

When I started the project I had no idea what I was doing. I have now been working in the industry for several years and have a fair bit of experience. The project continues to drag on at only a slightly increased pace.

I don't have many "before" photos of the boat (nor photos of work done so far) but I have started taking photos of the process recently.

The boat is completely gutted at this stage. Every square inch of the boat has been ground down. The only thing that remains is the original laminate. My "to do" list is kind of ridiculous but here is a sample of what it includes....

- sister new keel bolts
- reinforce keel exterior
- recore deck
- barrier coat hull
- refinish deck & hull
- replace all through hulls
- rebuild interior

You get the idea... basically anything you could imagine doing to a boat - I'm doing to this boat.

Any questions or comments are appreciated. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090936.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	33292   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090937.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	33293  

Name:	P1090945.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	33294   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090947.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	33295  

Name:	P1090948.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	33296   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090958.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	33297  

Name:	P1090972.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	33298   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090986.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	33299  

Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:26   #2

Re: Coronado 25 Refit / Rebuild

Started the refit about 4 years ago. Put in about 5 - 6 months worth of work so far. Approximately $3K invested so far. My hope is that I'm about 2 years away from completion, expect to put in another $3K and another 5 - 6 months of work.

No name calling - I am well aware of what I am. "Crazy" would be a nice way of saying it...
Old 04-11-2011, 18:15   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

You once mentioned that the boat had less value than others in the marina. I didn't correct you on that point but Coronado 25s in good condition in my point of view can make a dandy, sturdy mini cruiser and much more valuable than some of her newer cousins.
Good job and you've learned a lot.
kind regards,
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04   #4

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You once mentioned that the boat had less value than others in the marina. I didn't correct you on that point but Coronado 25s in good condition in my point of view can make a dandy, sturdy mini cruiser and much more valuable than some of her newer cousins.
kind regards,

I agree, that is why we live and cruise on a Coronado 25. They are great and sturdy boats. With a few alterations make a great pocket cruiser.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:19   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Any questions or comments are appreciated. Cheers.
Only one question..........."why?".

Not as harsh as it may sound, but unless you plan to keep her until the end of time (that's the plan for mine ) or have always dreamed about voyaging on a small boat would it not make sense to stop? .......and instead put the money and the years of your life (plus the knowledge you now have) into something a bit bigger? (me is 30' - helluva difference to 25').

But I can't really say too much on "Projects", I am on an everlasting refit / refurb myself (well, it seems to be everlasting - no longer sure what year I started ).......my "Project" kept me going through some of lifes "events" ........albeit the slow progress nowadays mostly down to laziness

Anyway, will await the after pictures
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
kind regards,
Thanks. Yeah - they are great little tubs.

Quote:
I agree, that is why we live and cruise on a Coronado 25. They are great and sturdy boats. With a few alterations make a great pocket cruiser.
Liveaboard? Wow. You must live in a warm climate? They are great boats. I could see living aboard as a single guy but you said "we". You must have found an adventurous partner! What alterations have you made?

Quote:
Only one question..........."why?".
Fair enough question. I've asked myself that more than a few times. I have several reasons depending on my mood or time of year...

- at first, the learning was a big part of it
- it's easier to afford a slow drain of cash rather than buy a $25K+ boat
- I am a perfectionist and enjoy knowing every square inch of my vessel
- I know that I will never be able to sell her for what she's "worth" after the refit so, yes I will keep her till the end of time
- I do want a bigger boat in the future but probably not for 8-10 years from now
- it's a hobby (or sport some days) that I enjoy
- at this point it's also about finishing what I start
- it'll be quite satisfying to get her back in the water and continue cruising the PNW, not to mention, showing her off at the dock
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I just checked out the link to your blog. Fantastic looking Coronado. I love the swim grid! I think I will be borrowing that idea for sure!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

George Benson cruised extensively in his modified Coronado 25. Wrote a cruising guide called 'Cruising the Northwest Coast' Cruising the Northwest Coast - A book by George Benson
It's a good read and guide to gunkholing up the West Coast .

Yes you are crazy but as long as you don't lose your sense of humor and enthusiasm it's a great learning experience rebuilding a boat. Good luck with your project.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Fair enough question. I've asked myself that more than a few times. I have several reasons depending on my mood or time of year...

- at first, the learning was a big part of it
- it's easier to afford a slow drain of cash rather than buy a $25K+ boat
- I am a perfectionist and enjoy knowing every square inch of my vessel
- I know that I will never be able to sell her for what she's "worth" after the refit so, yes I will keep her till the end of time
- I do want a bigger boat in the future but probably not for 8-10 years from now
- it's a hobby (or sport some days) that I enjoy
- at this point it's also about finishing what I start
- it'll be quite satisfying to get her back in the water and continue cruising the PNW, not to mention, showing her off at the dock
I am glad you took the question well

Although that not exactly the same as my list - pretty close Particularly on the getting "something" out of the process itself (even if that "something" is not always enjoyment ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26   #10

Nice sailing little boats. I hope you have a good rig and sails etc. and dont need to add those to the list. You can buy those boats for $3k ready to use. Oh well, what boat havent I spent too much on!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 13:42   #11

Quote:
George Benson cruised extensively in his modified Coronado 25. Wrote a cruising guide called 'Cruising the Northwest Coast' Cruising the Northwest Coast - A book by George Benson
It's a good read and guide to gunkholing up the West Coast .
Thanks for pointing that book out! I've never heard of it. I will try to find a copy. Looks like an interesting read.

Quote:
Nice sailing little boats. I hope you have a good rig and sails etc. and dont need to add those to the list. You can buy those boats for $3k ready to use. Oh well, what boat havent I spent too much on!
I am likely going to replace the sails and the stays. Not sure yet if that will fit into my original expected budget. That will probably add another $2K to the over all project. If it's an option I might spend that again on electronics too. We'll see what finances are like at that point. It's a money pit for sure though.
Old 05-11-2011, 14:09   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Look at all the experience you've gained and all the lessons learned. You could have had a $20,000 project boat and spent $20,000 more and it still be in the same shape as yours is now. Your Coronado will be sailing some day and you won't regret a penny or the time you've invested.
kind regards,
Old 05-11-2011, 14:16   #13

Thanks John. I think I needed that.
Old 05-11-2011, 17:39   #14

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

[QUOTE=Xander;811220]Thanks. Yeah - they are great little tubs.

Liveaboard? Wow. You must live in a warm climate? They are great boats. I could see living aboard as a single guy but you said "we". You must have found an adventurous partner! What alterations have you made?

- I do want a bigger boat in the future but probably not for 8-10 years from now"

Yes, she is a good partner. We have fun, we are on our way to the USVI, hopefuly leave Panama City FL next weekend. We love our little boat. It has been a great trip so far. We have done alot to her as far as fitting her out. We have done alot more in the last month (I will be posting that on the blog soon).

Soetimes we thihk about a bigger boat. Made two offers this summer, but niether worked out. I am glad they didn't. We have found that while we are moving, Morgan is plenty big enough. It is not until we stop that she starts to feel small. The secret then is to keep moving, which is the goal anyway.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55   #15

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Xander, we replaced the deckhead with the same sized ply that we ground/sanded/cursed off and now our deck is too springy. I should have used 1/2" ply like my wife suggested instead of the 1/8" that was originally there....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild